• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shit box shooting challenge

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
So my buddy’s and I are debating doing a “shit box shooting challenge” we’d “compete” over a weekend at different distances and different shooting positions out to about 600 yards.
Requirements are as follows:
1. $500 total budget that’s rifle, optic and bipod
2. Must be bolt action
3. Has to have the factory stock
4. No more than $300 spent on one component ie rifle or optic

So to start this off I’m thinking of hitting a few local shops looking for the cheapest .223 I can find hopefully in the $199-$225 range, already bought a cheap ass no name bipod for $20 bucks. So $245ish spent, then I’ll have $255 left for an optic and rings. I’m hoping I’ll be able to find a used vortex for cheap or something similar.

Has anybody done anything similar? I’m curious as to what route you went, I’m thinking a savage or possibly Ruger American if I can find one. We’re all pretty good shooters and we all have expensive rifles and we always throw down some money on best group bets so we figured why not try it with some of the lower end stuff.

Opinions? Comments? Concerns? Let me hear what you think.

Sounds like a great time. Axis or RA sporter would be by guess, though the cheap LGS buys are where I would go to look first too.

Do the components have to retail for less than $500 combined? Or can they be sourced secondhand?

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Sounds like a ton of fun.
I have a Savage 7-08 that was bought around 88-89 for $216.
On top of that, I could install my $110 Bushy 10x in MIL/MOA and I'm all set for using a real deal Harris bipod.
Do I have to account for the $7.95 cost of the rings? 😂

It shoots a 140 Nosler BT at a screaming 2675fps. 😉

I wouldn't hesitate to stretch it to 1k.

Sounds like a great time. Axis or RA sporter would be by guess, though the cheap LGS buys are where I would go to look first too.

Do the components have to retail for less than $500 combined? Or can they be sourced secondhand?

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
They can retail for whatever, you just can’t spend more than $500 on them now.

Another rule I forgot that’s being discussed is only in store purchases. No forum deals, or stuff you picked up from a buddy for cheap. Basically you have to bring the receipt and prove it’s a less than $500 rig. That’s not set in stone yet though.

Reactions: nikerret
Are you allowed to handload your ammo?

This sounds like a lot of fun!
Only A few of us hand load, I’ll bring it up. Honestly the most fair way to do it would probably be, everybody buys the same caliber, and we just bulk buy ammo so that’s not an advantage I have over the guys that don’t load. In this market I think a caliber restriction would hurt the fun of the initial hunt for a cheap bolt gun. Good question. Thanks!

Reactions: lash and D_TROS
Love it. I shot my first PRS style match a few years back and the guy who did best in my squad had a stock Axis, I forget the scope but I doubt it was over $500.

Would be a great training tool too, if you can do well with that setup you'll own with a high end setup. I shot USPSA and 3 Gun for two years with a LEM P30, which was painful but my trigger control was so much better when I finally got a proper competition pistol.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
Hi,

Can someone post a list of shit that actually fits into the OP pricing constraints?

Do they make readily available rifles that cheap!!!!!!!??????
My ammo hard cases cost more than the OP pricing guidelines....
Am I missing something with this "challenge", lol?

Sincerely,
Theis
It would be a scavenger hunt for sure. I like the concept though.

Hi,

Can someone post a list of shit that actually fits into the OP pricing constraints?

Do they make readily available rifles that cheap!!!!!!!??????
My ammo hard cases cost more than the OP pricing guidelines....
Am I missing something with this "challenge", lol?

Sincerely,
Theis
Have you been into a gun shop? They have a whole section of used guns most of the time. The rifles that Sell for $450 new are usually ~$300 bucks used.

It’s purely just for fun between a group of guys that are very competitive and have a wide array of firearms in the group. It’s easy to outshoot and talk shit on others when there are $4500 custom rigs with $3k glass on it, And a Remington 700 with a 4x12 vortex on it, in the same group. We came up with the idea to compete against each other only spending $500 on a set up. $500 was the max the guy with the least money wanted to spend so that’s where we are. No upper hand with top dollar equipment. Just a group of guys shooting extreme budget rigs with shit glass… for bragging rights and for fun

It would be a scavenger hunt for sure. I like the concept though.
That’s gonna be the second best part of it all, the hunt for halfway decent equipment. The best part will just be shooting and enjoying our time as a group… the guys that spent 7k on their equipment rarely ever have “fun” they just set up and shoot well and leave…

Reactions: FisherT&C
If your definition of fun includes wondering why the hell your bullets are going everywhere because you have a shit rifle and a shit scope, then you can keep that fun.
They honestly seem bored, once you have a set up dialed in rig at 1000yards, shooting 350-400 is boring I think, 3 specific guys in my group haven’t bought an optic under $2k in 20 years. I think it’ll give them a challenge and re connect them to the sport.

Reactions: lash
Saaaaaaaweeeeet, I have a whole safe full of shit. This could be interesting for me having so many options.

Saaaaaaaweeeeet, I have a whole safe full of shit. This could be interesting for me having so many options.
Hi,

Don't bother, lol.........I just got off whatsapp with my guy and put my deposit on a custom build strictly for this challenge. As soon as he goes down to Western Union and collects the 50% deposit of $6.26 my build will start.
He sent me a few of his latest builds purely to build my confidence in his capabilities.

1624388911956.png

My barrel will be next up on the rifling machine.
1624388950990.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Cool idea! Any limits on bags, support etc? What kind of format are you thinking? Maybe see how it evolves after a few shoots?

A couple years ago, I picked up a Ruger Predator in 5.56 with a Vortex crossfire scope for about $400. I have since upgraded the scope but I have taken it out to 600 with no problem. Biggest stumbling block I have is not having ready access to a range over 300 meters.

I see you can buy a Savage Axis with a Weaver scope brand new for about $400, I guess that's a good bogey

You guys are really trying to make me break out the remington model seven collection aren’t you

I like the idea and concept. Anymore, it's an arms race on best equipment. A lot can be done with the old Savage Stevens 200.

This is an awesome idea. Please keep us updated on the outcome.
Id say an old M70 Winchester or Remington 700.

Sounds awesome and a ton of fun. This would be a great challenge to put a time frame on to source the parts and you can't use the internet.

This sounds awesome! Would make for a good youtube series. $500 is a tight budget lol.

Would you have caliber requirements?

Would there be a limit on bags if they were of the "Glad" or "Ziploc" variety?

I say a bipod of the Harris variety and no rear bag.
Rear support must be a body part, and of your own body.
Although, some nice pillows (or cakes) would be great, it would probably be a huge distraction and possibly lead to other expenses... 🤣🤣

Personally I really like this challenge whether it be for fun or necessity, for a lot of my younger years I shot with cheaper rigs because that's all I had the cash for, running a $5K setup just wasn't an option. I will say that to get good with a sub par setup you really gotta polish on some fundamental skills, running a high end setup some of those mistakes get smoothed over by an extremely tight rig.

Here's your scope:

I want to see a 1000 yards for $1000 comp.
$500 for rifle and optics is going to be awfully tough. The lowest I’d go is arken/savage.

Love the idea though.

This will be the 1k for way under $500.

I'll film it through my Spot Shot camera and try to figure out a way to post it.

I won't have time today to load any ammo to try it tomorrow, but I'll do it next week.

Hopefully, I'll be able to use that 10x Bushy. It's a 1" tube and MOA turrets.

If that scope doesn't have enough elevation, I can hold over or install a Sightron S-2, 6-24 that i bought in 2001 for $95.
Either way, I'm pretty sure a holdover will be needed.

The bases on the Savage are fixed since it's the 110 GNS model. No chance of gaining a few MOA of elevation.

It's in the original wood stock, never been bedded.
The only modification to the rifle is adjusting the trigger.

I'll set it up Fudd style at 1.5-2" high at 100 yds.
Zeroed using a rear bag. Shot for record without.

The load will be 39.0gr IMR 3031.
Win or Rem brass.
WLR primer and a 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.
Runs 2675fps.

And yes, for the recoil shy, it's a standard weight rifle that comes in at a total under ten pounds including ammo and bipod.

I also have a 7lb 7 Mag I could do this with, but I don't see any way of meeting the $500 limit without installing a $50 Tasco...

Reactions: BoltRunner
Yeah, I have a Savage model 12FV from Cabela's, $330. I think a 350 or 400 dollar limit on rifle is more realistic.

I would allow 1 pillow. However, it has to be a throw pillow purchased from a thrift/Goodwill type store, used of course, for less than $5. Bonus points awarded for crushed velvet, hideous color, previous owner had multiple pets, stains, etc... 😊

That would work. Drool or triangular shaped stains get extra points.

However, I was thinking of pillows that come in matched pairs.
Same with the cakes.
We could choose them from the motivational thread...

I'm really liking this idea.
Might bring savage rifles back into vogue.
The Howa Varmint in the Hogue stock is available for less than 500.
Still?

I've been searching high and low for one of the 12 FV cabelas/bass pro exclusives for a while now with no luck for my son to get started with.

The cheapest 10/110s I could find were pushing $700. Even the sporter barrel versions have been going for $550+.