• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shit box shooting challenge

Winner, winner, chicken dinner:

Super Awesome Tactical Bipod:

If you would have been on this site 10-12 years ago, you would have seen quite a few savages
I have and saw lol
Every question was answered euthe

but a gap in 308
Or buy a savage

If you didn’t know better one would think there wasn’t anything else for sale.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner:

Super Awesome Tactical Bipod:
That rifle leaves $40 for scope and bipod....

Reactions: spife7980
That rifle leaves $40 for scope and bipod....
OOOPs, head up my ass.
I was thinking 500 for the gun and no more than 500 for everything else.
Don't know where I got that idea.
You can't even buy a pawn shop reject for less than 500 right now.
Maybe you can track down a savage 340 in .222 or something.

If you would have been on this site 10-12 years ago, you would have seen quite a few savages
Exactly!
That’s why I got my savage years ago.
It was truly the best cheap option.

There was no tikka, bergara or howa options or aftermarket support like now.
There were also a lot fewer aftermarket options.
Surgeon was a top contender especially if you had a S&B on top of it.

How equipment trends have changed.
Pretty simple times back then.

I still remember hitting 1000 the first time with my savage shortly followed along with 1250, 1400 and borrowing a friends scope (a Hensoldt 4x16, remember those?) to do 1600 because my vortex HS-T couldn’t get me there.

😂
Now I usually warm up with 1500 yards and quickly move to 2000+
My savage became my newb loaner gun with a 7 year old girl recently hitting 1000 yards on her second shot and schooling her dad, ohhhh boy I talked a lot of shit 😂 and she was sooooo proud!

It ALL started with a savage for me!

Last edited:
Hi,

Don't bother, lol.........I just got off whatsapp with my guy and put my deposit on a custom build strictly for this challenge. As soon as he goes down to Western Union and collects the 50% deposit of $6.26 my build will start.
He sent me a few of his latest builds purely to build my confidence in his capabilities.

View attachment 7652700

My barrel will be next up on the rifling machine.
View attachment 7652702

Sincerely,
Theis
That shit is sooooo snipery
Ur gonna win fer shur

I do not know Greg personally, but do believe that he’s been busy with family and health and I believe is mostly having to put his shooting days past him. I could be wrong, though.

I say a bipod of the Harris variety and no rear bag.
Rear support must be a body part, and of your own body.
Although, some nice pillows (or cakes) would be great, it would probably be a huge distraction and possibly lead to other expenses... 🤣🤣
Went with the old Caldwell for this particular setup… 19 bucks down $480 to spend 😂

Reactions: 1moaoff and lash
Vortex Diamondback Tac maybe or Bushnell?
See if you can find a good, old Redfield 3-9 with the range-finder reticule and sort-of calibre-calibrated turret caps. Being gloss-finished one-inch optics, they seem to be looked down on and relatively inexpensive. I have two of them, one on a .223 and the other on a .308. both 'field" rifles. OK by me.

Sounds like fun........we would need a list of rules/specifications..........let' do it..............

Instead of you all buying a 500 dollar POS, just chip in and get a loaner custom rifle for your cheap ass friend. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Looks like the only thing I have that makes the price range is a Mossberg 500 spray painted camo, I bought it for 180 dollars when I turned 12.

You could get a thompson center with vortex crossfire 2. I am interested to see how this turns out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-233644_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-233644_Chrome.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20210623-233902_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-233902_Chrome.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 40
Get a Dicks special, plastic stock, Remington 700 ADL and stuff a Redfield/Leupold 3-9X on it, in a Redfield/Leupold base and rings.

It would be the IROC of the rifle world.

And I bet it will shoot just fine within a certain round count and especially so if you only shoot the crosshair or using reticle holds.

or this....

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
Got the Shitbox ready.
I took it out of the safe and looked at it.
Ran the elevation turret to its max and yep, I'll have to hold over at 1k.

20210628_203413.jpg

The stock still has the screwed up finish from getting wet while sitting in a case.
The rings are Burris, so I'll have to account for like $20 instead of the $7.95 set I thought it was wearing.

A box of 140 Nosler Ballistic tips. Load data on the label.
It's funny, back when I started loading for this rifle, 39.0 grains was 1 grain under max.
Now it's over max based on the newer data.
Thankfully, my IMR 3031 is old and it's a mix of at least 7 different lot numbers. 😁
20210628_203556.jpg

Primers were from a mix of 3 lots.

The brass is also different lots and different ages.

Hornady Dof says:
Screenshot_20210628-205450.jpg

Gonna need to do a little math and figure out holdover.

Anyhow,
$216, rifle
$110, scope
$40 rings and used Harris bipod.

Total:
$366

Wednesday this week is the day.

• Love
I say a bipod of the Harris variety and no rear bag.
Rear support must be a body part, and of your own body.
Although, some nice pillows (or cakes) would be great, it would probably be a huge distraction and possibly lead to other expenses... 🤣🤣
Bipod must be less than 30$ to make it fun

Success happened at 1k today.
I'll just say this, the BC listed for the 7mm 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip isn't even remotely close to published numbers.

Gonna have to do some tinkering in 4-Dof to get things lined up and get the real, no BS BC. Standby...

To do things quickly at the range, I kept dropping my MV down to try and at least get things closer to impact point.
After dropping MV 125fps, I knew that the BC, .485 G-1, wasn't even remotely close to published numbers.

After I got home, I ran velocity back to 2675 and played with BC
I had to drop it from published .485 to .384 to match up with actual drop. 😡

Since the scope was a 1" tube, elevation and windage were severely limited.
Initially, I had to dial all available elevation plus hold the 1 mil dot above expected impact.

It turned out to need 2 mil elevation above horizontal.

My first shot at 1k was .1m low and .1m left.
I corrected windage and forgot to correct elevation holdover.
Plunked two shots directly under the IPSC and then realized my error.
Corrected elevation and a solid center mass hit.

I got greedy and tried for three head shots and missed all three by a tiny bit. Oh well.

Moral of the story?
It's doable and honestly not hard once you have the dope.
If I had been using a Mil/Mil optic and target bullets, it would have been a piece of cake.

I'll go back and do it again, but I'll need to find some more 140 Ballistic Tips. Unfortunately, they are unobtanium right now.

Should be pretty easy next time. Dial the scope up as far as it will go, come back one click. Hold two mil dots high. I should make a solid hit.

I didn't take any video since it would have looked like a swimming pool.
Mirage was awful.

Success happened at 1k today.
I'll just say this, the BC listed for the 7mm 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tip isn't even remotely close to published numbers.

Gonna have to do some tinkering in 4-Dof to get things lined up and get the real, no BS BC. Standby...

To do things quickly at the range, I kept dropping my MV down to try and at least get things closer to impact point.
After dropping MV 125fps, I knew that the BC, .485 G-1, wasn't even remotely close to published numbers.

After I got home, I ran velocity back to 2675 and played with BC
I had to drop it from published .485 to .384 to match up with actual drop. 😡

Since the scope was a 1" tube, elevation and windage were severely limited.
Initially, I had to dial all available elevation plus hold the 1 mil dot above expected impact.

It turned out to need 2 mil elevation above horizontal.

My first shot at 1k was .1m low and .1m left.
I corrected windage and forgot to correct elevation holdover.
Plunked two shots directly under the IPSC and then realized my error.
Corrected elevation and a solid center mass hit.

I got greedy and tried for three head shots and missed all three by a tiny bit. Oh well.

Moral of the story?
It's doable and honestly not hard once you have the dope.
If I had been using a Mil/Mil optic and target bullets, it would have been a piece of cake.

I'll go back and do it again, but I'll need to find some more 140 Ballistic Tips. Unfortunately, they are unobtanium right now.

Should be pretty easy next time. Dial the scope up as far as it will go, come back one click. Hold two mil dots high. I should make a solid hit.

I didn't take any video since it would have looked like a swimming pool.
Mirage was awful.
Nosler has some very inflated BC numbers, they have gotten better over the last couple of years.
I have a match rifle in 7-08.
I shoot the Hornady 162's over a stiff charge of 6.5 sta-ball in starline SRP .308 brass necked down.
My barrel is a touch over 26" and 2800 fps is not hard to hit without pressure signs.
That powder is a godsend to 7-08 shooters, I need to find more.
VERY flat shooting.

I've got StaBall and access to some Berger 168s but it didn't seem like it would stay within the spirit of the Shitbox theme.

The rifle I shot is totally capable of laying waste to a 1k IPSC.
Even the 140 noslers are fine.
The total lie of its BC was the only issue.

Out to 300yds, everything was fine. As soon as I shot the 400, 525 and 600, it was apparent the number didn't match actual BC.

I got it hitting properly at 600, then tore up the 800.

At 1k, any miss after the first shot was operator error and greed. 😂

Bringing this back up to the top.

Components are becoming available again and gun prices are also way down.

I still haven't found any 7mm 140 ballistic Tips, but I did shoot some 162 ELDM/Staball and it's gonna make the job much easier if I decide to do it again.

Anyway,
the OP and his buddies should pick up where they left off last summer.

I still haven't found any 7mm 140 ballistic Tips, but I did shoot some 162 ELDM/Staball and it's gonna make the job much easier if I decide to do it again.

Anyway,
I recently picked up some prvi partizan 150 grain "match" bullets. BC is pretty low, about .405 vs .505 for the Hornady 150 eld x, which isn't available.
I think they would fit for this challenge though. I'm going to try to take the rifle to the range next week.
That being said, I have a 1908 Mauser in 7x57 with a turned down bolt handle that shoots very well, I may have to dust that off.

I had an Axis that shot very well for about 3 shots. Then needed cooling or the shots started to walk. But very good for 3 shot strings.

BTW I think Savage CS is absolute sh*t and would never recommend Savage based on my personal experience with them.

They can retail for whatever, you just can’t spend more than $500 on them now.

Another rule I forgot that’s being discussed is only in store purchases. No forum deals, or stuff you picked up from a buddy for cheap. Basically you have to bring the receipt and prove it’s a less than $500 rig. That’s not set in stone yet though.
You could always have a three or five person committee that looks at the rifle and says "yea I wouldn't pay five hunnert for that".

Anyway,
Some things have happened since this thread was posted. I’ve lost 3 members of the group I shoot with/was planning to do this with.
1 guy had a kid
1 guy is going to have a kid real soon
1 guy passed away.

Since getting their SO’s pregnant my buddies have turned tail and quit shooting all together. Saying it’s too expensive and selling all their gear. Neither one offered up stuff for sale to our small group.

RIP “Geezer” he was a cool dude, met him at the range one day, he was blasting away with what I thought was an actual cannon, turned out to be a 300 RUM. He was in his late 70’s at that point, when I asked he said the “recoil makes you feel alive… and it puts hair on the peaches.” I talked to him for a while and became instant friends. Never even knew his name, he just told me to call him Geezer. Another guy that shot at the SGL range I met him at told me he passed away.

So my shooting group is down to about 3-4 guys again. None of them shoot like I do, all they want to do is hit the air conditioned indoor range, put the target at 7 yards and stand there like a statue only shooting 1 round every 3 seconds. That’s a waste of ammo for me and not the kind of shooting I enjoy.

I’m probably going to do a budget build anyway just to have a loaner rifle IF one of my non gun buddies wants to come try and shoot.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.
When my ex wife got pregnant with our first, I didn't change a thing except trading my standard cab pickup and buying a Suburban.
It was a great trade.

Took care of my girls first and always included them in my outdoor activities.
Shooting, hunting, fishing, boating, ATV riding, you name it.
They are both in their mid twenties now and still love all that stuff.