• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooter App for IOS 8...

Abq-Defense

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2011
Albuquerque, NM U.S.A.
I have the final release of IOS 8, and the Shooter Application seems to have issues. I wanted to start this thread to either:

1) Find out if I am the only one seeing problems.
or
2) Warn folks that depend on Shooter, not to upgrade to IOS 8 yet.

The big problem I am seeing is that if you try to edit a bullet profile, the app crashes. You could work around this by creating a new bullet profile, then deleting the old one.

I use FFS as my main calculator, so I didn't test Shooter heavily. You may find other issues.

Does anyone know if they plan to upgrade Shooter any more? It looks like the last update was a year ago when IOS 7 came out.

I think the new iPhone has a built in barometer. OS8 will support that. I would hope all the ballistic calculators are being updated to support that feature.

That $50 adapter that measures wind is looking pretty good now.

Not exactly a Kestrel, but another option

Like Chuck Yeager once said, "Never fly the A-model of anything..."
Whenever there's a new iOS, it takes a month or two for Apple and all the app geeks to work out the bugs. I'm sure they'll get it squared away soon.

Tim

Ios7 was released Sept 18 and the Shooter app wasn't updated til Jan 10th. Hopefully Sean will update sooner than later.

I run JBM and have not checked it for issues? I am still thinking that my update was a little premature as I hate new software until they get the bugs out! Only reason I run Apple is Virus protection as Steve Jobs made it so simple to keep people from hacking it and I have never had the blue screen of death like I used to get all the time with MICROSOFT which happened frequently!

I'm having the same issues as the OP, I'm using a iPhone 5 running IOS 8. However I can't even create a new bullet profile, the app just crashes. Hoping for a fix soon!

I have the final release of IOS 8, and the Shooter Application seems to have issues. I wanted to start this thread to either:

1) Find out if I am the only one seeing problems.
or
2) Warn folks that depend on Shooter, not to upgrade to IOS 8 yet.

The big problem I am seeing is that if you try to edit a bullet profile, the app crashes. You could work around this by creating a new bullet profile, then deleting the old one.

I use FFS as my main calculator, so I didn't test Shooter heavily. You may find other issues.

Does anyone know if they plan to upgrade Shooter any more? It looks like the last update was a year ago when IOS 7 came out.

I will damn sure appreciate it. I'm unable to do anything besides view existing gun profiles.

Some would consider me to have mental issues, but I refuse to upgrade anything on my phone unless I verify my ballistic apps work first. They are pretty much the only reason I got a smart phone. ;)

Mine does the same thing. One way around it for now is go to the website Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for iOS and Android and in the top right corner profile manager. Edit what you need to there then go to your app and sync from web to device. If you haven't synced your device to web you would need to do that first to put the info from your phone on the web.

Mine does the same thing. One way around it for now is go to the website Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for iOS and Android and in the top right corner profile manager. Edit what you need to there then go to your app and sync from web to device. If you haven't synced your device to web you would need to do that first to put the info from your phone on the web.

Thank you for the link. You're my new hero. hopefully they get this updated soon. I got so frustrated I downloaded Strelok Pro. I'm not smart enough or patient enough to figure it out.

Installed IOS8.0.2. Still crashes when trying to edit bullet profile. It will still work with existing bullet profiles.

No shooter update in the App Store yet.

I wonder if Isnipe will work with IOS8. I'm with Orkan. I will not upgrade unless I'm sure that Isnipe will work.

This advice just prevented an aneurysm! Thanks!

I'm glad I saw this thread! I just downloaded Shooter on IOS8. It was crashing but I was able to sync from web:) Thanks for the info everyone.

Installed IOS8.0.2. Still crashes when trying to edit bullet profile. It will still work with existing bullet profiles.

No shooter update in the App Store yet.

My iPad and iPhone crashes when trying to edit bullet profiles. But I found a way around it as long as the only parameter I will change is MV. By using the "Calculate MV" function it is possible to adjust velocity on an existing bulett profile without crashing.

My shooter app started pulling weather data again today

I've had Shooter on a phone for a couple of years, on a 4S and a 5.
It had NEVER pulled DA and the other weather data until yesterday.

go web to device

This update seems to fix the issues I originally had, but I only did a quick test as this is my backup calculator these days. Before updating, let some other folks do more in-depth testing. It does seem fine from what I can tell so far though.

Ring, I tested both Web to Device, and Device to Web, and both worked fine for me. No crashes...

Ipad is working for bullet editing and syncing both ways. Won't pull atmospherics though(not sure if it ever did). Iphone5 with latest IOS7 is pulling atmospherics. Installing 8.0.2 on the iPhone now and will see if it still pulls atmospherics.

Shooter will not allow me to add a new bullet from the library such as the Berger 140 Hybrid. When I select that bullet and then select G7 I am then close out of the program with out adding that bullet, this is on the iPad with version 8.0.2

Anyone else having this issue?

Ipad let me fully edit the bullet profile and choose g7. iPad won't pull atmospherics still. Just updated iphone5 to 8.0.2. Before running the latest shooter update but after 8.0.2 it would let me pull atmospherics but not edit bullet profiles. Ran the shooter update and now it will allow edits but won't pull atmospherics. Even after going into privacy setting and allowing location services which had defaulted to no during 8.0.2 update.

yea it will not let me pull atmospherics after updating either. This is becoming a pain in the ass

Ok I just found on both iPad and iphone5 that location services is not staying in "Allow" when going into shooter. On both units once opening shooter and going back to location services it is defaulting back to blank.

Latest update, bullet edit/crashing fixed...but back to no atmosphere update. I'm sure another fix is on the way.

Last edited:
Ok I just found on both iPad and iphone5 that location services is not staying in "Allow" when going into shooter. On both units once opening shooter and going back to location services it is defaulting back to blank.
Got a i5s from work... Loaded and same.. Won't stay on allow. So won't update weather..

How to access "Preferences" in Shooter for iPhone 5s

Hi guys,
I have been using Shooter for several years- on Droid and now on iPhone 5s. I love it. Really glad about Sean's rapid fix for the bullet specs crashes with iOS8 update.

--However somehow the preferences changed for my Shooter app, and it is not set to Density Altitude. This can be changed in "Preferences" within Shooter.

The Shooter "Operations Manuel" for iOS devices says: "You can access the Preferences by touching the Preferences button at the bottom right of the screen when you first open Shooter or by touching the Menu button on your device and choosing the Preferences option which is also on the first screen of Shooter (Firearm Profile screen)"-- but there is no "preferences button", and the only "Menu button on my iPhone 5s shuts Shooter down--

Question: How do I get to "Preferences" in Shooter to change things like the "Color scheme", "Enable Density Altitude" etc.??

And here I am blissfully running IOS 6.1.3 on my 4s :D
I don't like change and don't understand the concept of an OS well enough to see any reason to "update". I didn't like the look of the icons of IOS 7 so I stuck with what I got. The Shooter app is the only reason I'm not still carrying a Blackberry Pearl....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk