• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

shooter specific weight training

opshin556

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Kalifornia
Guys, looking for input.
I have been using 15-20 pd dumbbells one in each hand with which I perform repititions as I would pull and point my sidearm.
albeit slow and deliberate motions.
Both dumbells starting from rest position moving to meet at chest then straight out front.
I recently started shooting local ipsc matches and seem to perform consistently in the top 10% - 15% of my division
Not sure if the training has contributed or not?
thoughts? experiences?

Re: shooter specific weight training

I'm not in the top 10-15%, but I do compete. Tips I've read deal a lot with grip strength (Captain of Crush workouts) and Simply holding your pistol up at presentation for as long as you can, freestyle, strong-hand and off-hand. I do the Captain of Crush stuff and I can see a difference in my grip strength, not sure I can say its helped my shooting that much though.

The Enos forum has a lot of great stuff to help you improve your competition shooting. I've only been competing for a few months and I've picked up a lot of good stuff there.

For offhand rifle I actually have an 18lb steel bar that I hold one end in an offhand standing position as an endurance excercise.

Isometric training should be a big part of your training routine. This means that your muscles are contracting, but not moving. So basically you are holding a position for 30-60 seconds. As the muscle get accustomed to holding the contraction under tension, you will have less of a tendency to tremble when holding your rifle. Isometric training for the shoulders, biceps, forearms, and even the core will be beneficial.

Hang a weight from your gun (attached to the front swivel, for instance). Hold the gun until you start shaking uncontrollably.