• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Shooter's Depot Carbon Fiber FAIL

ddavis

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2011
Texas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_VgHezrr0

I just thought I would put this here in case anyone searches this site for info on them. Notice 'recycleyourpets' is either the owner of Shooters Depot, or a shill for him. That's the kind of person you are dealing with when you buy anything from Shooter's Depot in Corpus Christi. You can form your own judgements. Stay safe out there.

Re: Shooter's Depot Carbon Fiber FAIL

I read your post yesterday but couldn't find it today for an update. I would be pissed too. Sorry dude.

wow. that sucks! im not buying that sh*t!!

That's a shame. A product like that should not make it to the market.

I know people reported these issues with Carbon Fiber back when CCF was making B&T clone .45ACP cans. This of course is a much more powerful caliber than a pistol.

It's good you were not hurt.

Shooters Depot has a terrible reputation, is known using dirty attack tactics against their customers, making outlandish "hollywood quiet" claims, and making a can that is worthless. He has had a lot of attempted returns and has had to "fix" a lot of his carbon tubes. I would say for you to do what others have done and call the BBB. I am terribly sorry for your misfortune, and if I can do anything for you to give you a good taste in your mouth about the industry, shoot me an email or give me a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooters Depot has a terrible reputation, is known using dirty attack tactics against their customers, making outlandish "hollywood quiet" claims, and making a can that is worthless. He has had a lot of attempted returns and has had to "fix" a lot of his carbon tubes. I would say for you to do what others have done and call the BBB. I am terribly sorry for your misfortune, and if I can do anything for you to give you a good taste in your mouth about the industry, shoot me an email or give me a call. </div></div>

Scott, thank you for the offer. Aaron at Delta Company Arms is going to start selling silencers in the next month or so and is going to send me one of his first ones FREE. You can't beat that. I'm very excited to have something that will work. I dealt with Shooter's Depot for 2 years trying to get the silencer and then dealing with it breaking down. In those 2 years it was in their shop more than it was in my possession. To be quite honest with you I'm just glad to be done with it all. That place makes my blood boil.
-Dan

Wow, glad to know not to waste time or moneda with them.

Not the materials.....not the materials...don't count out CF when properly used in the right place. Just not where there is so much heat...and pressure..and well gun stuff.

So sorry to hear about this.

Now the where was a thing called the GEMTECH ruling...was a time you could have picked an alternative manufacturer and had that can "repaired" into a whole new can. No longer.

I am glad that you weren't hurt in that situation. I would go after them like no other. Right is on your side Brother!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not the materials.....not the materials...don't count out CF when properly used in the right place. Just not where there is so much heat...and pressure..and well gun stuff.

So sorry to hear about this.

Now the where was a thing called the GEMTECH ruling...was a time you could have picked an alternative manufacturer and had that can "repaired" into a whole new can. No longer.

</div></div>

I love carbon fiber. I paddled the Texas Water Safari last year, a 260 mile canoe race. We used carbon fiber paddles that weigh about 12 ounces. Some people have canoes that are 24' long and weigh about 40 lbs due to being carbon fiber and kevlar. It is a great material. The silencer was so light when I first picked one up, I was amazed. All I had to go one was what George and his salesmen told me, which turned out to be lies. You live and you learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, thank you for the offer. Aaron at Delta Company Arms is going to start selling silencers in the next month or so and is going to send me one of his first ones FREE. You can't beat that. I'm very excited to have something that will work. I dealt with Shooter's Depot for 2 years trying to get the silencer and then dealing with it breaking down. In those 2 years it was in their shop more than it was in my possession. To be quite honest with you I'm just glad to be done with it all. That place makes my blood boil.
-Dan </div></div>

Dan,

Aaron and I are friends. He is a good dude. I paid for DCAs rooms at Silencer Shoot this past year and we drank some whiskey in hot as hell Memphis and felt it the next day. Since Aaron is taking care of you on the suppressor end, I will take care of your transfer for free since he is in Arkansas and we are in Texas. PM me if you would like the details. Aaron has my FFL/SOT on file.

That ATF position is not reasonable. They should reverse it.

You pay tax on a car with the DMV, and you can replace any part of that car with an equivalent working part as far as I'm aware, as necessary without legal issues. To repair something is not the same as making a new product.

It's too bad these things have such inane interpretations at times.

Your product could be repaired with a replacement tube. It's a shame. In fact, that may still be the cheapest option even with the $200 tax- a form 1 tube like those on sionics suppressors with more material at the threads on both ends for strength if you want to keep it light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott, thank you for the offer. Aaron at Delta Company Arms is going to start selling silencers in the next month or so and is going to send me one of his first ones FREE. You can't beat that. I'm very excited to have something that will work. I dealt with Shooter's Depot for 2 years trying to get the silencer and then dealing with it breaking down. In those 2 years it was in their shop more than it was in my possession. To be quite honest with you I'm just glad to be done with it all. That place makes my blood boil.
-Dan </div></div>

Dan,

Aaron and I are friends. He is a good dude. I paid for DCAs rooms at Silencer Shoot this past year and we drank some whiskey in hot as hell Memphis and felt it the next day. Since Aaron is taking care of you on the suppressor end, I will take care of your transfer for free since he is in Arkansas and we are in Texas. PM me if you would like the details. Aaron has my FFL/SOT on file. </div></div>

Scott, thanks once again! If you were a bit closer I would definitely take you up on the offer. I'm in Corpus Christi so it wouldn't be a whole lot further just to drive straight to DCA! I'm going to have it transferred. The only place in town that I know of charges $125, which seems ridiculous, but it's still cheaper than the cost of gas, which would be over $300 round trip. Once again, thanks to all of the great people out there who are willing to help, it really means a lot.

Regards,
-Dan

Thanks for the youtube video, I would have never thought that carbon fiber would stand up to that much heat and pressure being a woven fabric like it is. I'm really glad you weren't hurt and it is good to know this information to pass on to my customers!

I glad that you were not hurt. How does a company not have the same thing like that happen when they are testing the can before they let it out on the market. That shows that they did not test their product well.

I honestly don't think they did any testing at all. As an example of how something like this could happen:

It took about a year from the time I paid for the silencer to the time I had it in my hands, due to them 'losing' my paperwork, and me having to get the ATF involved. When I finally got it, the first time out, I went to unscrew it from the rifle, and the body tube unscrewed from the rear endcap. They had forgot to epoxy it on. These aren't made in mass quantity, they are each built one a time, apparently very slowly. How someone did not check it before it went out is beyond me, especially after all their screw-ups and poor customer service; it should have been perfect.

Then we find out the threads are too sloppy, which he blames on the thread job of the rifle, done by Shilen. He says "whoever threaded this rifle should be shot." Well, after he "custom fit" the threads of the silencer tight to that rifle, he said it would only work on that rifle. When I sold it shortly after, I took my new rifle up there and had him screw the silencer on the first time. Perfect fit. Hmmmm... maybe it wasn't the rifle after all.

These stories continued. Something would go wrong, and he would blame it on me. Later it was because I was loading bad ammo. He claimed I had a "detonation" due to not having a full charge in 300 BLK. Need I say more?

Regards,
-Dan

Guy at Shooters Depot has the attitude that will lead him to closing his doors for good.

I'm sorry but I would NEVER shoot thru a can that was held together with epoxy. And I am just not seeing the physics to how a carbon fiber tube is a good idea for a rifle can. It is woven fiber after all... thats not meant to be threaded.

Brought this back from the dead (It's my thread, so I can do that right?
grin.gif
)

It still bugs me that they continue to screw people over, and I looked at their mostly positive Google reviews just today. I used my Google-fu to look up the person who gave this review:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The suppressors are f#$%^ awesome!!! huge selection and the staff actually knows about every weapon in the store. I dont know about the guy who said he didn't get service because the guys at the store spent almoast two hours with me and answeared all my questions I've never been treated so well in any other store. Keep it up guys!</div></div>

I found his Facebook page! And sure enough, just like I mentioned in MY review of them, the positive reviews are shills. He is a machinist at Shooter's Depot.

https://www.facebook.com/cole.catlin

In case anyone thinks they are brave enough to try one of these products, remember what kind of customer service you will receive. Hope I've helped anyone who finds this in a search for Shooter's Depot make a wise decision.

Regards,
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy at Shooters Depot has the attitude that will lead him to closing his doors for good.

I'm sorry but I would NEVER shoot thru a can that was held together with epoxy. And I am just not seeing the physics to how a carbon fiber tube is a good idea for a rifle can. It is woven fiber after all... thats not meant to be threaded. </div></div>

Well maybe if he were in an area that liked good quality. His shop/store is right across from a strip club frequented by know prison gang-members. Don't laugh but his shop use to be in the same building as the strip club, lmao. He shoots the suppressors off behind his store into a residential neighborhood. Everything in his store is made to look tacticool and made from things most would not buy. Things like CAA, Falcon Industries and other loose fitting junk. The funny part is that the parts he uses are junk and he charges 2 times what a normal store would for his rifles. The store is in a neighborhood that is nothing but crack heads, gang members and prostitutes. I am being kind as possible when I describe that neighborhood.

So when you cater to scum with dope money and low intelligence you will prosper such as they have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guy at Shooters Depot has the attitude that will lead him to closing his doors for good.

I'm sorry but I would NEVER shoot thru a can that was held together with epoxy. And I am just not seeing the physics to how a carbon fiber tube is a good idea for a rifle can. It is woven fiber after all... thats not meant to be threaded. </div></div>

Well maybe if he were in an area that liked good quality. His shop/store is right across from a strip club frequented by know prison gang-members. Don't laugh but his shop use to be in the same building as the strip club, lmao. He shoots the suppressors off behind his store into a residential neighborhood. Everything in his store is made to look tacticool and made from things most would not buy. Things like CAA, Falcon Industries and other loose fitting junk. The funny part is that the parts he uses are junk and he charges 2 times what a normal store would for his rifles. The store is in a neighborhood that is nothing but crack heads, gang members and prostitutes. I am being kind as possible when I describe that neighborhood.

So when you cater to scum with dope money and low intelligence you will prosper such as they have. </div></div>

Leopard St. is VERY trashy, and known for crackheads, etc., but there are some great businesses there. It is the backbone of industry in Corpus Christi, and I deal with businesses on Leopard St. just about every day at work. Shooter's Depot would be the same no matter where it was located. I really do not know how they are still in business.

Bummer. I was entertaining the thought of getting one of their CF cans at one point. Them requiring me to send in my rifles to get the Can fitted made me pause.

Sure glad I ended up with one of Ross's titanium suppressors instead.