• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 338 a mile +

Sako man

profesional dilettante
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2012
    Galactic Sector ZZ9 Alpha Xray Plural.
    just looking for a poll. What are people running for their 338 LM setups. What are you doing MOA mount wise? What is your optic? Are you dialing, holdover, or combo for long distances. Looking for ideas here.

I have run a TRG42 with SNB and DTA with Premier at long distances but wondering how you guys are doing it.

input appreciated.

TRG 42 in 338 Lapua in a XLR Chassis with a Near 45 MOA Base, NF 5.5-22x50 Scope, APA Fat Bastard Brake, Berger 300 OTM Pointed and Retumbo....made to 2160 back in the Spring in So. Georgia. Dialed my dope, 91 MOA to 2160. First 3 shots were to 1940 on a steel target to the right of the 2160 target. Also dialed on that target.

TRG 42 in 338 Lapua in a XLR Chassis with a Near 45 MOA Base, NF 5.5-22x50 Scope, APA Fat Bastard Brake, Berger 300 OTM Pointed and Retumbo....made to 2160 back in the Spring in So. Georgia. Dialed my dope, 91 MOA to 2160. First 3 shots were to 1940 on a steel target to the right of the 2160 target. Also dialed on that target.

Awesome. Did you have a 200y zero?

I had a Remington 700P with a Millet 6x25(?) and an Alberta Tactical Rifle 45 mow base. Federal Gold match ammo. Only hit 1760 yards before I sold it. Plan to get something else.

The poor mans set up.

I am waiting to find out how my rig will work in the Gunsite XLR class on October 6-9. I have a Badger Ordnance M2013 action screwed into a Bartlein 28" 5R heavy varmint barrel, metal epoxy bedded into a AICS AX stock. Glass is an semi retired S&B 5-25x56mm with 24 mil vertical adjustment, 20 moa rail, and 6mil Sphur mount. Muzzle brake is 2nd generation Fat Bastard, and the butt has a Limbsaver Magnum pad for my arthritic shoulder. 96.0 grain Retumbo, 215M primer, Lapua brass, and Hornady 285 grain HPBT match bullet. Seating is 3.050" cartridge base to ogive, single loading only. I am getting 2930 fps average for mine and my son's Remington 700 with a 30" Kreiger heavy varmint on an AICS AT stock is getting 2990 fps average for the same load. Extreme spread average of a bunch of 5 shot groups is 23 fps and Standard deviation is a bit above 8, with highs in 10's and low of 4's.

Shot a few 300 Berger, but did not have enough time to find a good load for that round yet. I was able to single load it to a bit over 2850, but need more work to get that load down.

I like the heavy set up, not able to haul it up and down any mountain, but it shoots like a 6mm Remington. Shot 60+ rounds in a day and want to do more the next day.

Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifle, in San Jose, did an excellent job for us and we are shooting half inch group, when we are paying attention.

I'm running a 20moa base and NF 5.5-22x50. I've only played out to 1798yds but it makes it out there pretty easy with a 100yd zero. I wouldn't mind having a 30 or 35moa base on it though.

xdeano

Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifle, in San Jose, did an excellent job for us and we are shooting half inch group, when we are paying attention.

Marc certainly is a great smith, I find myself constantly going over to his shop just to see what he's working on. Now that he is offering ceracoat again I will probably be using his services even more.

Running a 40MOA Base 20MOA QR gives me 29.6mils (101+MOA) to dial. A mile is easily dialed, but I still end up with holdover sometimes. Depending on air density, to about 2400 yards I can dial, past that then holdover. Much past 2650, the drop become really too exaggerated. Were we typically shoot, I don't get the advantage of high cosine numbers at those distances. Under 15oo we certainly can find good angle shooting and that will help your numbers.

Yes, 100 yard zero.

Jt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting, so you have an initial 60moa at your 100 yard zero. Well, I have finally installed my 40moa ADM so looking forward to not have to use so much holdover with my Premier. I suspect you must be shooting at BLM if your going that far out.

Thank you for the information.

DTA SRS-A1 with 30" 1.250" 338LM. 40moa DTA mount. I can dial out to just past 2000yds, and use holds from there out.

IMG_7789.jpg

Lowlight,

Not to side track this thread but I have to ask. Were you using factory ammo or a custom load for those shots? What bullet were you running? Thanks.

Great video, now I am getting excited for the October 6th -9th class. That 2000+ meter hit will be a good goal for me for a long time.

It seemed to be an impossible shot unless there is an excellent experienced spotter, for the very steady handed shooter.

I am not familiar with the Nightforce BEAST, is the 23mil wind turret a 2 turn or single turn one?

I will say this,

the he rifle was just pulled off the shelf and not set up as I would have done, and yes we used factory ammo.

The PSR has 30 MOA built in, and with a NF Beast in a 0 MOA Spuhr it topped out at 23 Mils. This meant for the 2000m shot I had to hold 7 mils over with the reticle. With more angle in the base I could have used the full 36 mils of adjustment available in the beast.

The rifle was zeroed on Sunday with factory 250gr Scenars, I did shoot and chronograph factory 300gr lapua ammo too that day but never shot the PSR beyond 100 with any ammo. We zeroed it, chronographed it, and put it away until the morning of the shot. I opted to use the 300s over the 250s because the wind was tricky enough, however the 300s only chronographed at 2750fps which is far from optimal. If you notice the first shots were a mil low from our initial estimates using the computer. I believe the computer called for 18 mils at a mile and I used close to 20 mils ( I don't remember 100%)

because we we had no dope prior I figured it was 6 and 1/2 as I was not gonna be on anyway. How it played out is what you see.

Running an S&B 5-25X56 in a Sphur mount on a Barrett MRAD. 30 MOA on the chassis and 21 MOA in the mount, gets me a 100 yard zero with 24 mils in the scope. Have enough elevation in the scope to get to 2200 yards without holding, granted my DA is 8655 and pushing a 300 grain bullet at almost 2900 fps.

Great job shooting. Someday maybe I will be able to join the mile+ club