• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 500yds - What size IPSC Silhouette target?

GrayRyder

Wandered in by accident
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 10, 2017
    As the subject states I'm shooting 500 but what size target? Full size IPSC? 63%? 66%? I see these different target suppliers selling different size targets and it seems to be based on ease of shipping for the supplier. What's everybody using for 500yds? Thanks.

Last edited:
    1-2 MOA target depending on shooting position . Or, put two up, a large and a small. What is the accuracy capability of your rifle? Smaller target, provided you have an accurate rifle, is going to help you to focus on executing the shot and good fundamentals IMHO. I have a 66% IPSC, 12" square, and 6" square @ the 500 yard ish target where I shoot.

What positions are you shooting? 1/3 to 2/3 depending on position.

I would also consider how you'd be using it. Will it be setup permanently or will you have to drag it out and set it up every time you shoot? I've got a 2/3 (or something close to that size) IPSC spring-loaded target from LV Steel that works well for me since I don't have a place to install targets permanently. It's small enough to carry out with me when I go shoot and doesn't require an elaborate target hanger.

If you can set something up permanently, I'd go full-size, especially if your budget allows you to get one that has an open center with a second piece of steel behind it. Like an indicator-type target. If you get a normal, full size IPSC, you can also use spray paint to mark a smaller shape in the center to give you more of a challenge to hit inside of that, but still allowing you to see impacts outside of it.

It's a 260 Rem and totally capable of .5 Moa. I'll be shooting Proof ammo. I'll use a T-post with a portable MKS target of some size. Shooting prone.

It's a 260 Rem and totally capable of .5 Moa. I'll be shooting Proof ammo. I'll use a T-post with a portable MKS target of some size. Shooting prone.

Would definitely comsider a 3-4” diamond too for calmer weather. A 2/3 would be boring unless windy and switchy or a lot of mirage.

Reactions: deersniper
    At my brother in laws farm I have some racks set up and at the 500 yard mark, I’ve got a 10,8, and 4 inch target that I shoot at. I also just hung 3 more 8 inch circles at various distances.

A full size IPSC is 30" tall by 18" wide and a 2/3 IPSC is 20" tall by 12" wide. These are both pretty big targets for 500 yards- I'd call them "confidence targets" and I'm no pro shooter. If I were filling out a 500 yard berm I'd take them both, and add a 10" and 5" circle. If I had to hump them to my shooting position every time I'd probably go with a 6" circle and a T post.

how good of a shooter are you?

answer that question honestly, and choose a target just a little bit smaller

Permanent or hauling it is the big question that needs to be answered here. That would easily be two totally different things for me

I’ve got a 66% a 10 and a 5in at 500 yards. The 66% is good for getting rifles dialed in that you don’t know the dope for (friends rifle , new rifle, etc). The 10 I use for positional shooting and the 5 for prone or when I really want to challenge myself positionally

Reactions: deersniper
    I run a half ipsc at 550 yards as my large target and a 6 inch ad my main target

It depends on what conditions are generally like as well as what your back drop is, imo. I've got permanent steel set up from 200-1600 yards and I'm slowly turning lots of the target locations into multiple target size arrays (2", 4", 6" @ 200 and 8", 10", 12" at 640 yards, 300 yards is next). My 550 yard target is a 10" square on a t-post so definitely not tiny (slightly under 2 moa) but where the target is set up, misses go into dark woods so there is zero splash. If you aren't watching trace, you'll have no idea where your round went.

66% at 500yds is a hair over 2moa, not a bad size for positional practice but I'd probably hang something a little smaller next to it, like an 8" diamond or circle, that way you have two targets a little over and a little under the 2moa mark.

I shoot 8x10 steel targets at 500 meters. 8 being the height.

I use a full size but use it for everything out to a mile. When close I just paint a 6" circle on it or use the head box and call it a fail when I miss it. One size fits all because I am frugal.

I should have added right at the beginning that where I'll be shooting is nearly constantly windy. It's on a mountain top and the winds ALWAYS blowing at a tree branch velocity of at least 10 -12 mph full value from the left. What it's doing at the target site itself, I don't know. Last time I shot there, I gave it 2 moa left and 6.5 moa elevation and I hit the 12x12 target 5 out of 20 rounds. I was able to see where 7 of the other shots had hit the large cardboard backing sheet I'd erected. Two of those shots were just off the 12x12. In all my years of shooting, this is the first time I've ever shot under wind conditions which I consider something of a black art.

The ballistics table I was using was off. I was using Quickloads program and it gave something like a 8.5moa solution but that was too high. In reality, I was good with 6.5. I don't know if the disparity lie with the scope height measurement I put in or what. I was using Proof ammo at a magnetospeed chronoed speed of 2930fps out of that barrel.

About the size of a cantaloupe at any distance should be the size of your target unless your using a round will penetrate body armor.

That’s what I said earlier! Works well and it’ll give you a larger target if you find a place to shoot beyond 500yds.

It also shows your misses relative to the smaller target painted on the steel. That is how i use my 2/3 at 600 any way. Spray a 6 inch circle on it to shoot at. My range options are pretty slim, so I shoot where I can, set up and retrieve my own steal.

my 33% IPSC is 7 1/2" wide so at 500 yards your wind call will need to be +/- 2 mph. i really like shooting mine. I had some calm winds winds yesturday morning, held dead center at 400y and impact was right edge. maybe 2-3 mph but not a whole lot of indicators.

pic because we all like steel targets! and you can kinda see a good size comparison.
    20200630_172258.jpg

66%, 33%, 4" round ,12" round & 66%

Get full size. it works better with new shooters and off hand positions. when I’m working on precision or wind calling I just shoot at the head. More options with a big target.