• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting 50bmg/other braked rifles, TBI and tinnitus

That’s where they got the firing schedule protocol for the 84mm Gustav. I was an AG for a training cycle and deployment and a gun team leader with one for another training cycle and deployment.
100% it’s contributed to my tinnitus and probably other shit.

You’re only supposed to fire or AG 4 total HE rounds per DAY. At our ranges we’d do upwards of 15-20 a day. You’re not even worried about your ears at that rate. We’d wake up the next day and every muscle in your body would be sore.

One of our gunners got sick from it and probably had a mild concussion/TBI. Holding your nuts and opening your mouth did help a little but it rang your bell pretty hard.

But a 7.5lb rifle shell will do that.
Makes me think about the T54/55 that darn near knocked me out in Baghdad.

• Haha
Reactions: Gustav7
Sounds horrible haha, at least I got to shoot shit with the goose LOL.
06 Baghdad, nobody told me they gave Iraqi's main gun ammo! I was forward of the muzzle of the T55 with buildings on both sides. Almost wanted to throw up and it took a lot to stay standing and no go down. Probably why I failed a lot of hearing tests and had to go before a board to remain Infantry from hearing damage.

• Sad
06 Baghdad, nobody told me they gave Iraqi's main gun ammo! I was forward of the muzzle of the T55 with buildings on both sides. Almost wanted to throw up and it took a lot to stay standing and no go down. Probably why I failed a lot of hearing tests and had to go before a board to remain Infantry from hearing damage.
Damn, my condolences to those 3 little bones in your ears lol.

Sounds eerily familiar to one of our gun team leaders at a range day with the Gustavs. Those ranges are annoying cause the ammo people show up with 5 cases of HE and HEAT rounds that was meant for a Platoon, and we had a squad. We had to shoot everything since it was explosive shit, so one of our gun team leaders AG'ed or shot 20-30rds of full power rounds in a day. Dude should get 50% disability for that one day lol. He threw up that night and couldn't sleep. Said it felt like someone cut up his organs and intestines.

• Wow
Reactions: stefan73
Damn, my condolences to those 3 little bones in your ears lol.

Sounds eerily familiar to one of our gun team leaders at a range day with the Gustavs. Those ranges are annoying cause the ammo people show up with 5 cases of HE and HEAT rounds that was meant for a Platoon, and we had a squad. We had to shoot everything since it was explosive shit, so one of our gun team leaders AG'ed or shot 20-30rds of full power rounds in a day. Dude should get 50% disability for that one day lol. He threw up that night and couldn't sleep. Said it felt like someone cut up his organs and intestines.
Damn, last I heard stories of the Carl G causing micro tears in organs from the concussion. That is well outside of the max number of firings allowed per day. Must have still been cool to see though.

Damn, last I heard stories of the Carl G causing micro tears in organs from the concussion. That is well outside of the max number of firings allowed per day. Must have still been cool to see though.

That’s possible. We just assumed it was soreness from the overpressure. Almost like you’d been punched in the stomach real hard and bruised your guts.

For HEAT rounds I think it was only 4-6rds a day. I did 13 that day and had just gotten out of Ranger School. Had to have take a few years off my life 😂.

Sure as hell wouldn’t wanna stand by a tank or artillery.

That’s possible. We just assumed it was soreness from the overpressure. Almost like you’d been punched in the stomach real hard and bruised your guts.

For HEAT rounds I think it was only 4-6rds a day. I did 13 that day and had just gotten out of Ranger School. Had to have take a few years off my life 😂.

Sure as hell wouldn’t wanna stand by a tank or artillery.
Already beat up and wore out from Ranger School and then playing with the Carl G. That had to be fun:ROFLMAO: Ranger School in itself takes some years off your life.
I remember after Ranger School I wasn't in shape to do much except eat. I did puff up like a water balloon for about a month or two afterwards (mostly water weight it seemed).

• Haha
Already beat up and wore out from Ranger School and then playing with the Carl G. That had to be fun:ROFLMAO: Ranger School in itself takes some years off your life.
I remember after Ranger School I wasn't in shape to do much except eat. I did puff up like a water balloon for about a month or two afterwards (mostly water weight it seemed).

My big toes were numb for a couple months lol. Anywho, we should probably stop derailing this thread

Looking for experience from guys who have been shooting braked rifles for SEVERAL YEARS please;

I've been shooting braked rifles from 300WM to 50bmg for the last 15 years and have noticed a mild case of tinnitus for the last 5 years. It could just be from the one time I forgot to put on ear pro shooting a braked 300WM which had my ears ringing for half an hour but maybe there's more to it? It comes and goes.

I talked to a guy at the range the other day who was in the service and said he was close to blasts from explosives and braked 50s all the time and now has TBI (traumatic brain injury) as well as a bad case of tinnitus. Said he won't go near a braked 50 anymore.

After talking to him I was convinced to sell my 50 and put cans on all my other rifles but maybe I'm overreacting. Anybody else here experiencing symptoms of TBI or tinnitus? Thanks.
Late to this but with good hearing protection theyre not that bad, just dont forget your ears. Ask me how I know.