• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting at night.....?

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Anyone do it? What do you use as a target that lights up or glows enough to see it at several hundred yards or further? Or something i can stick to a steel plate? Ive never done night shooting at longer range with a rifle but working nights and the killer heat its about the only time i can...

i have a sillahuette steel target... didnt knowif they make glow in the dark spray paint, or what to do... trying to figure something out... love to hear ideas...

yeah I'm not talking about night vision devices.... Regular scopes here... I dont have money to afford anything worth having to play those games!

Hang a bunch of glowsticks around your target or get a generator/ flood lights and go to town

While sighting a new deer rifle years ago, last minute, and I put the final touches on it the next day...

I took stream light flashlight, and propped it up to shine on my target. It worked. I could see it just fine at 200 yards.

I live in the sticks and had a good back stop. I wouldn't recommend shooting like this unless you have a tightly controlled "range" and are sure access is limited. Potential trespassers aside, I was good to go, but hated the feeling of not being able to see my back stop and beyond. I had a solid bore sight and never had any rounds off paper, but the experience was far from ideal and hardly responsible.

Anyway, a simple LED flashlight will work and run for hours, but you probably won't be able to see your misses if shooting steel and will likely violate the "three B's" (backstop between and beyond) safety rule.
Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:
To practice this during the day, I just close my eyes. Second the flashlight it works.

I've seen road flares used either in front or behind.

Glow stick set a precise distance away from the target. You adjust your dope to aim at the stick, but hit the target.

For example, if the target was at 400 yards and the stick it 5 feet to the left of the target, you dial your 400 yard dope, and windage for as many mils 5 feet is at 400. So you want your bullet to hit 5 feet to the right of your aim point.