• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shooting Bench, BR Pivot or Big Shooter?

Walt K

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Clinton Twp. MI
I have a chance to do some prairie dog shooting this year. I'm in the market for a rotating shooting bench. I believe the 2 best may be the BR Pivot and the Big Shooter. Any experiences, comments?

Re: Shooting Bench, BR Pivot or Big Shooter?

Why not just shoot shoot prone? I haven't had any luck with any purchased benches they are not solid enough to make long range shots, there is nothing steadier than the ground.

You may want to look into a decent mat to lay on if anything, just trying to help and save you some money.

Thanks for the quick reply. But,no thank you. Definitely want to shoot off a rotating bench.

That BR Pivot looks like the one I'd go with. Right now, I have a home made model that is not a pivot, although it works very well, the pivot would be ideal for shooting range rats. There used to be another manufacturer in the midwest that made these, not sure of the name though.

When all said and done the guys that come out here pdog hunting leave the bench in the back of the truck and lay a blanket or some thing down to shoot prone off of. When the wind starts blowing and it seems to blow from time to time they just are not stable enough to make that long shot

Ive used the BR pivot benches quite a bit. I must say they are a very nice piece of equipment to have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Kc

I have the Big Shooter and it is built like a tank and after years of use it is still very stable. I love the way it pivots and the fact that the seat is so easily adjustable.

One additional benefit that I have found with the Big Shooter Bench is the fact that the bench portion is very large... Making it very easy to shoot any rifle regardles os what shooting rest or bipod I use.

Gentlemen,thanks very much for the replies.

Holy cow, Gunner, you weren't kidding! That thing costs a arm and a leg and takes two men and a boy to carry. Odd, though, I Googled shooting benches and I don't think that one ever came up?

Thanks again everyone.
Walt K

Check out the RCBS RASS shooting bench I think this maybe something you like.

Ken

Having been out there a number of times, I can completely echo what Kurt has said above. Unless you're in a very good spot that hasn't been shot before you're going to get alot more shooting by being mobile and flexible rather than stuck in one position on a bench. Prairie dogs aren't stupid. If they've been shot at before with much frequency, they know benches and trucks mean bad things.

If you must be off the ground, I might look at the DCLW tripods or something similar and a light collapsable chair that you can easily throw over your shoulder. The first year we went out we had a similar idea of using benches and wound up constructing two out of 4 layers of 1/2 in plywood laminated and screwed together on top of 3 2" steel pipe legs. They are stable but are HEAVY, wind up being used for gun cleaning mainly, and take up way too much space in the truck. I generally opt for a small backpack for ammo and water, a rifle with a bipod, and a hand tally counter so I have an idea of my hit percentage. An ez-up tent can get you out of the sun and wind if the need arises and doesn't take up much room.

I like to take a tarp with and use tent stakes on 2 corners and tie the other 2 to the truck to get out of the sun

I just recently picked up one of these and use it out in the Colorado grasslands. It is actually pretty stable. I've not used a BR to compare it to, but it works for me on prairie dogs, and as a shooting bench when out target shooting.

Big Game shooting table

Not my blog, but this is kind of how I set mine up.

Blog showing BGT shooting bench in use.

I do not use the silly Y yoke rifle rest that comes with it. I just set my benchrest type front rest on the table and shoot from that.

Often times I cannot shoot from the ground because of rolling hills and such. You just have to be up higher, and shoot further.