• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Both Eyes Open with optics..Do You?

brianf

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
NY
just as it says...

how many shoot both eyes open? (i do)

reasons?

distance near or far (EX, in close yes, past XXX yards no)

particular rifles

particular scopes

particular positions

only competition (timed/stressed)

only fun / plinking

different types of weather

wearing prescriptions / contacts

for the guys who run classes, do you prefer to train both open or squint

doing a little research for a few ideas bouncing around in my head while i should be sleeping

thanks
Brian

I do. I have not done PRS, just plinking prone or F Class. #1 reason is to prevent eye fatigue. If I lose the crosshair, I might close my off eye for a few seconds to get it back but usually a simple blink gets my brain to focus back on the reticle.

Reactions: brianf
thanks for the input...keep it coming

any one shoot the KO2M super ELR distances, does anybody switch

I shoot with one eye open. I'm left eye dominant, but shoot right handed.

When I started shooting, my dad though that because I wrote right handed, I should shoot right handed. Made sense at the time.

Knowing what I know now, I would switch, but I'm too vested at this point.

I did recently pick up archery and for that, I bought a left handed bow. So far, so good.

Yes, both eyes open, all distances, all disciplines. When I get tired I start to partially close my left eye. That's when I know to stop.

When I am using a zero-magnification optic, red dot, or prizm optic I shoot with both eyes open. When I am using a magnification optic, especially at higher power magnifications, I shoot with one eye open.

Nope.

My brain is wired fucked up. I can use either eye, but wherever eye picks up the target first will win. If I don't close my off eye I can hit anything coming from the right, miss everything on the left by a mile. Switch hands/eye and the problem reverses.

I have for a few years now took a while to get used to it but I like it .also shoot pistols with both eyes open
you could try closing both and seeing how well the force works have seen two bench rest shooters that look like that is what they do from time to time .

Last edited:
No, I am cross eye dominant and can't keep my dominant eye open or I can't see through the scope.

Nope.

My brain is wired fucked up. I can use either eye, but wherever eye picks up the target first will win. If I don't close my off eye I can hit anything coming from the right, miss everything on the left by a mile. Switch hands/eye and the problem reverses.

same here, if i dont pay attention to what eye im using i about 1-2 moa off

Yes. I started shooting with both eyes when I read An article saying you should for defense purposes. As said above better FOV.

Hi,

I shoot both eyes open pretty much across the board.

It allows me to keep my eyes from straining.

It allows me to use the "point and see" method of target acquisition.....like pointing with your non throwing hand as to where your throwing hand intends to make the ball go. I point with non dominant eye and throw with dominant eye.

It allows me to monitor wind/environmental conditions better...well what appears better for me anyways, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

I shoot with one eye open. I'm left eye dominant, but shoot right handed.

When I started shooting, my dad though that because I wrote right handed, I should shoot right handed. Made sense at the time.

Knowing what I know now, I would switch, but I'm too vested at this point.

I did recently pick up archery and for that, I bought a left handed bow. So far, so good.

Our Dad's must have drank the same Whiskey. I got the same speech. I suck with a shotgun as a result. I have tried to train myself to shoot a shotgun left handed. Sometimes it works.

I try

Can’t do it all the time

For some reason I have days where my eyes will focus fine with both open and then the majority of days it just does not work.

I dunno

Yes, always have. Going on 40 years now. Always did so i could see movement outside of what i could see through the optic.

Wish I could and I try to but I'm cross eye dominant and I have trained myself to shoot with my right eye.

I Practice with both eyes open at the range and then use both eyes open when hunting. Last year shot at 802yards and 580 yards. Freezer full.

"Yes, both eyes open, all distances, all disciplines. When I get tired I start to partially close my left eye. That's when I know to stop."

I thought I was the only one this happened to. If I start getting tired I notice that my left eye starts closing to allow me to see clearly through scope.

I’m cross eye dominant and finally trained my right eye to work with both eyes open on a scope. Apart from eye strain, I find it easier to keep relaxed and not react to or anticipate recoil with both eyes open. Like it is a night and day difference. I’m not sure if a non-cross dominant shooter feels the same difference but my theory is that with the dominant eye closed the brain becomes more protective and will anticipate/react more severely.

Reactions: Notch and brianf
Learned to shoot with both eyes open shooting clays. Transferred over when I started shooting precision rifles. Right or wrong, it feels right

Right handed/right eye dominant, have to close left eye for anything beyond few yards with handguns as I see two front posts. Can manage with both eyes open when shooting with optics. Have always thought it something to do with my astigmatism.

Right handed but I'm cross eye dominant. Hated closing my left eye so I finally started shooting long guns left handed. It's funny watching an SO run you in a 3 gun match and throwing them off by transitioning from right handed pistol to left handed shotgun / rifle.

Right handed, left eye dom. I shoot right handed, close left eye. You only look through a scope with one eye. And when people tell others like me that we should switch to shooting left handed???? Its called "weak side" for a reason.

just as it says...

how many shoot both eyes open? (i do)

reasons?

distance near or far (EX, in close yes, past XXX yards no)

particular rifles

particular scopes

particular positions

only competition (timed/stressed)

only fun / plinking

different types of weather

wearing prescriptions / contacts

for the guys who run classes, do you prefer to train both open or squint

doing a little research for a few ideas bouncing around in my head while i should be sleeping

thanks
Brian
Both Open!!!

99% both eyes open for pistol.
For rifle I try to do the same to fight eye fatigue but will close my left (non dominant) if I'm having trouble picking up a target or crosshairs. If it's an ongoing problem I'll tape a piece of paper over my lens on my left eye, again to fight eye fatigue of my right.

I do in self defense mode. AR and pistol with red dot scopes or open sights.

Both eyes open for optic rifles and shotguns. For some reason I closed my left eye when shooting lever actions.

Does leaving both eyes open mess with say parallax or anything else?