• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooting from a tripod and POI Shift

TVLLIVS

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2018
Just a noob question for the forum, I just recently got into the precision rifle game and picked up a tripod. My question is, do you recommend zeroing from a tripod? Will there be any major POI shift when I transition between tripod and bag setup. Thanks!
(The tripod is a Shadowtech pig tripod)

Just a noob question for the forum, I just recently got into the precision rifle game and picked up a tripod. My question is, do you recommend zeroing from a tripod? Will there be any major POI shift when I transition between tripod and bag setup. Thanks!
(The tripod is a Shadowtech pig tripod)
In my experience so far, no. Not enough to make a difference for our application. However, I want to see what others think because there is a lot more experience out there with tripods than I have.

Zero your gun from the prone. If you have zero shift while on a bag, tripod, etc. It can only be one of two things first and foremost you the shooter and your ability to implement the fundamentals of shooting. The second is equipment problem either with stock/chassis ,torque settings on action screws, proper scope mounting, tripod etc.....check it all. A tip you could zero from the prone with a bag as well to verify equipment. You shouldn’t be able to apply force to the rifle in other positions that would cause your zero to shift. Once again fundamentals on marksmanship first. I have had one piece of gear that created weird problems for me and that was a Harris bipod, shooting off the bag from prone reenforced my rifle was fine.

I zero from the prone position and find a minimal zero shift when firing standing from the tripod.

I agree with @roady9999 that any difference that I saw was always an issue that I was causing due to poor FoM. It takes practice and an analysis of the data to improve

Reactions: Mike4837
I think it might depend if it’s bolt or semi auto. All semi’s I’ve shot off tripod had POI shift.

My Craddock Precision 224V upper with RRS plate direct mounted into an RRS Tripod has a .3 mil shift low compared to prone.

Reactions: lennyo3034
Not to sound like that guy but the best way is to do it and find out. My zero from a bench, from a barricade, from free recoil and all of that is the same but there's others who swear their POI changes dramatically when they shoot free recoil. I don't see how it could, I agree with what those before me said where it's probably a fundamental issue. Best way to have confidence though is to test and, see it, and you'll trust it.

I think it might depend if it’s bolt or semi auto. All semi’s I’ve shot off tripod had POI shift.

My Craddock Precision 224V upper with RRS plate direct mounted into an RRS Tripod has a .3 mil shift low compared to prone.

I also get a .3 mil low POI shift from my gas gun. No shift with my bolt guns.

thats actually really interesting. Two people seeing shift with semi-auto rifles off tripods. Did either of you guys attempt to investigate why it shifts? Do you both see a shift with the semi autos off barricades with bags not attached to the tripod? I totally understand if you reply with don’t give shit believe the bullet.

Matter of fact I have spent a quite a bit of ammo documenting my offsets from different positions at 100 yards with my .224 V semi. The gun from prone is around .75 MOA at 100.

The following POI offsets in mils are in relation to dead center of the target:
-Prone = .1 U / .1 L

-Balanced on bag on barricade = .2 D / 0 windage

-Using a light tension bungee sling = .1 D / .3 L
and bags on barricade

-Using a bungee sling and = .1 U / .3 L
bipod on barricade or table

-RRS Tripod direct Mount = .3 D / .1 L

With the sling, I know the off set is caused by the tension that is putting pressure on handguard which is connected the barrel nut.

I don’t know what causes the other offsets. All I care is they are consistent and can be accounted for.

I’ve only seen POI shift from tripod and sling. .3 and .2 mils respectively.

I’m also only seeing it on a certain gun. IE, rifle equipped with a URX4 handguard, which acts as the barrel nut and and therefore has direct interface with barrel.

My other semi has a MEGA MML upper where the handguard attaches directly to the upper receiver. Have not noticed POI shift from tripod.

I have not tested it on a standard setup where the handguard attaches to a barrel nut, but I suspect similar results to my URX4.

thats actually really interesting. Two people seeing shift with semi-auto rifles off tripods. Did either of you guys attempt to investigate why it shifts? Do you both see a shift with the semi autos off barricades with bags not attached to the tripod? I totally understand if you reply with don’t give shit believe the bullet.

I've always heard that gas guns are more finicky with recoil management.

I've had some shift between prone to standing or kneeling off a tripod but I thinky issues have been with recoil management. Usually .2-.3 upward shift.

With people having gasguns shift down I wonder if it's flex in the upper receiver. Prone the bipod is typically at the end of the rail and has more leverage to flex the upper and barrel mounting area. With a tripod you're usually clamped in close to the mag.

It's about consistency in recoil management. If you are the type of shooter who puts a lot of pressure on the bipod when shooting prone, then that same pressure has to be applied when shooting off of obstacles or tripods to maintain that zero and have consistent elevation drops at yardage. I zero prone with minimal load on the rifle/bipod. If I lock into a tripod and use a sling, I need to be aware of of the pressure I apply to the sling as it reduces the recoil impulse and causes my POI to be lower than my zero or anticipated elevations drops. As always, you have to find out what works for you and what you have to do to be consistent with pressure to maintain your POI relative to your zero.

I need to do more testing but so far my RRS/Anvil 30 has allowed me to make kills at 400 meters on crows after zeroing from prone/bipod. Could not be much POI shift. This with very accurate .204 AR.

The video with Glen Seekins on the weaknesses of most AR uppers and standard barrel nut setups explain this to a T imho. Handguard is mounted directly to upper at the same point the barrel is attached. Any load on rail aka bipod pressure can effect POI.