• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting glasses with one eye blacked out...

ATC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
Virginia
I'm shooting a lot more this year, and now have optics on just about all of my regular shooters. I'm a righty, with a dominant left-eye. I need something to cover my left eye. Long periods of shooting, and spotting for a friend is killing my eye muscles trying to keep it closed. I find myself holding my left hand over my eye sometimes.

I'm looking for some type of shooting glasses that has a flip-up opaque lens. I don't want to spend much more than $25-$30 if I can help it. Is there anything out there like what I want? I've done a quick google search and haven't turned up much. Most people are taking regular shooting glasses and covering up one lens with tape or smudging it somehow. That's not an option for me right now...

the target shooter's trick is to just put some cellophane (clear) tape over part of the off-eye lens. both eyes open and both pupils are open the same so no eye strain. but because you can't see thru the off-eye lens, you are forced to use the other side. but because it just over part of the lens, you can still do things like hit the spotting scope.

cheap fix, tho i see you've tried it.

If you are left eye dominant, learn to shoot left handed.

the target shooter's trick is to just put some cellophane (clear) tape over part of the off-eye lens. both eyes open and both pupils are open the same so no eye strain. but because you can't see thru the off-eye lens, you are forced to use the other side. but because it just over part of the lens, you can still do things like hit the spotting scope.

cheap fix, tho i see you've tried it.

Honestly, I haven't tried it...only because I would need two sets of glasses and swap them out every time I lift my head from the rifle. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Eye pro. is required at all times at the range.

Honestly, I haven't tried it...only because I would need two sets of glasses and swap them out every time I lift my head from the rifle. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Eye pro. is required at all times at the range.

I use scotch tape. Leave one end folded so you can grab it and pull it off the lense easily.
When sighting, I only use the upper, left corner of my eyeglass lenses. That is where the tape goes. The right half of the lens with the tape (left lens) is unobstructed, as is the entire bottom. I can readily look down to take notes and read range cards through the lower, near-focus portion, and can see straight ahead enough to get along fine with the tape on the lens. Just don't try to drive that way!

Thanks, I'll check em out. I wonder if they'd work with regular safety glasses...?

If only it were that easy... LoL :D

I hope you do not believe this was a flippant reply. While you may feel like a pig on skates for a while, and your shooting may transiently suffer, learning to shoot with your dominant eye (non dominant hand) will vastly reduce eye fatigue, increase comfort, and enhance your shooting. You will also likely find that you can shoot with both eyes open, further reducing eye fatigue and obviating the need for any of the- sometimes expensive- shooting "aids" mentioned above.

As an added benefit, those "non dominant hand stages" at your favorite match will be cake- as they will actually be with your dominant hand...

If you stick with your right hand bolt guns you will be able to run the bolt while keeping your shooting hand on the controls.

I'm neither left handed nor do I have cross dominance issues, but lefties claim that being so in a right handed shooting world is a blessing. Something to think about...