• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting glasses?

If the weather is nice I wear Liberty prescription sunglasses. They’re incredibly durable. I have a pair that I bought in 2010 & the only issue is the rubber nosepiece has degraded to the point where it smears on the lensesmaking it a PITA to see. Otherwise, they look great & perform as advertised.

Are you worried about the way look? I also have a pair of RecSpecs. These are athletic type glasses for sports. They have transition lenses so I can wear them at night as well as during the day. They’re not stylish but they work incredibly well. I work in a pretty rough environment (SW Texas) as far as dust, dirt, terrain, weather, etc. I’d definitely get the protective covering on the lenses so they don’t scratch, etc. These glasses have no arms & are secured to your head via an elastic strap.

Both sets of glasses are very comfortable. Both will stay attached to your head while running, jumping, shooting, etc, but in in area I’d give the edge to the RecSpecs.

*Also, both are available w/ hardened lenses, etc to double as safety glasses in a work environment.

Last edited:
If ballistic eye pro outdoors in the sun is the factor: ESS, Wiley X, Gatorz, Oakley all offer what you need. Most can be had with Rx lenses. Having worn glasses my whole life, I usually had those as my eye pro out on the range. Out here in the desert, sunglasses are a must have. I had a pair of Wiley X Saints with Rx lenses made, those were excellent. Now I have contacts, got the standard lenses for them, and still love them. Not a huge Oakley fan, probably because everyone and their mother gets the Gas Can or some variant, and they seemed more like off-the-rack glasses from a gas station. Got a pair of Flak 2.0 XL, they are nice, but I still like my Wiley X's. So I keep the Oakleys as a backup/loaner pair for when I am instructing.
I've got the Wiley X because it's what Uncle Sam had me me wear in the service before my eyesight went to the upper South now that I'm out. It was also the only pair of ballistic sunglasses that fit my melon (somewhat), I wear a size 7 5/8 hat just for illustration. The thing that has always bugged me with the Wiley X though is the miniature size of the prescription inserts that puts a line right in my target picture. I'm to the point where I'm considering wearing my regular glasses to the range instead, they're transitions with flex arms and way more comfortable. Does anyone know what price range custom shooting glasses are and who actually makes some. My Optometrist always gives me some excuse and starts the spiel with the Oakley's which are so tight they hurt; I had to order the Wiley X myself and present him with the insert frames to make even those happen. Sucks to have a big noggin when you're a giant and hats only come in thimble size.

Reactions: desertrat1979
From the viewpoint of a fellow fathead, it is tough to even find a pair of glasses that are wide enough to fit my head let alone looking at quality and features. Then trying to get prescription work done must be near impossible. Probably better finding the glasses/frames and ten having impact resistance lenses ground for them. Good luck.

When I wear them I choose the S&W, 1970s looking, aviator style in bright yellow. Why do it half ass?
il_570xN.412351686_3ujl.jpg

Reactions: carbonbased
I've never been able to wear Ray-Bans , too small and I don't think they make them in prescription glass.

Well, I guess I care more about what I see on the range and how comfortable glasses are than looking like a tall Swedish pimp. LOL

Reactions: Bradu
Those Gatorz look like they actually grind the lenses from ballistic glass for prescriptions, I think I'll be checking them out. Hopefully I won't have to drop down the price of a new rifle to make it happen.

Well, I guess I care more about what I see on the range and how comfortable glasses are than looking like a tall Swedish pimp. LOL

I've had people make fun of my Decots several times but I like my eyesight. I don't care after having a bad lot of primers that pinholed and having one blow a bunch of shit in my eye. I was always one that didn't like wearing them until that happened. I worked with a guy that almost lost an eye from using a punch without glasses so ever since then I have made myself wear glasses.

Most large eyewear manufacturers are actually owned by

Luxottica Group SpA

The eyewear monopoly was built by the most ruthless non-American companies out there, just google what the did to Oakley, after driving Oakley's stock price to the shitter, they bought Oakley.

They make great glasses at great prices. Ever wonder why glasses are so pricey?

From a guy who wore correctives lenses since for over 50 years.

Last edited:
Never cared much for Oakley's. When my unit in the Army got them way back when and the rest of the Army was just starting to use Wiley X their frames gave me wicked headaches and I got some Wiley X instead. Even they were tight. Looked at the lineup of companies on their web site at Luxottica and apparently they own neither Wiley X, nor Gatorz which I think I'll give a try. Actually saw some Navy Joes wearing them a while ago just did not know the Gatorz brand back then.

Ive got Wiley X glasses. Prescription, transition lenses, polarized, etc etc. Without insurance, they would have cost me around 600 bucks. They have likely saved my eyesight twice now.

Whatever you get, make sure its well made, comfortable, and that you will wear them when you shoot. Both of those "saves" were on the range.

I bought my last pair of Wiley X without insurance because they had already sprung for my regular driving glasses. Set me back about $350 by the time I got the inserts in them but they are so tiny I see the upper part of the picture clear, then there is this huge white line from the insert frame and the bottom is blurry because the insert is above, Whoever came up with this micro insert was a nitwit and most likely never wore any. So far I've had either well made, or comfortable, or PRF 32432 Ballistic Fragmentation / ANSI Z87.1 standard but never all three due to my big melon. I'm determined to fix that once and for all this time and not put up with incompetent, or impatient sales clerks, optometrists, or customer service. If we managed to ship an ATV to the moon for use as a golf cart I know 'we have the technology' to produce a comfortable quality pair of ballistic shooting sun glasses for big noggined range addicts.

I bought my last pair of Wiley X without insurance because they had already sprung for my regular driving glasses. Set me back about $350 by the time I got the inserts in them but they are so tiny I see the upper part of the picture clear, then there is this huge white line from the insert frame and the bottom is blurry because the insert is above, Whoever came up with this micro insert was a nitwit and most likely never wore any. So far I've had either well made, or comfortable, or PRF 32432 Ballistic Fragmentation / ANSI Z87.1 standard but never all three due to my big melon. I'm determined to fix that once and for all this time and not put up with incompetent, or impatient sales clerks, optometrists, or customer service. If we managed to ship an ATV to the moon for use as a golf cart I know 'we have the technology' to produce a comfortable quality pair of ballistic shooting sun glasses for big noggined range addicts.

Have you talked to the guys at Decot? I've had nothing but Decot for clay target sports for over 30 years. Bud Decot fit my second pair himself. If you can accept their appearance - they ain't very sporty-lookin' by today's norms - you may find they have a frame size that will work for you.

I finally decided on a Rudy Project Rydon 5-lens set ($325) because I do so much pistol stuff with steel fairly close and I wanted more wrap-around than my trusty Decots could provide. I ordered the Rudys through my optometrist, who had a pair in the store I could try on and will adjust as necessary for optimal fit.

I will still use my prescription Decots for pistol when not doing the close steel; my plano Decots will go to my son or be kept as loaners, and the Rudys will become the primary glasses for everything else.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I just looked at their site and they don't look that bad. I'd probably get the transition lenses in gray anyway, so I could wear them as regular sunglasses also. Hopefully they have authorized dealers where I live, the Gatorz nearest is in Breckenridge, CO. I will definitely check out the Decots more and compare prices too.

Last edited:
For guys shooting rifles in the prone position which glasses work for you. I have the problem of the top frame always being in the way on most glasses. I have even used frameless safety glasses and they end in the view to.

Second question. I know shooting clays, pistol shooting, fishing, skiing and such benefit from different lenses in different conditions. Do colored lenses actually make a difference when looking through a scope?

I shoot prone with no issues using Oakley Tombstone Spoil. Bought the 3 lens kit that comes with clear and two lenses for partly sunny and full sun. They aren't very tight on the side, but wearing a hat they feel fine. Wouldn't want to run and gun with out, haven't tried, but afraid they may move to much. That is my only complaint. Otherwise changing lenses is a snap.

For guys shooting rifles in the prone position which glasses work for you. I have the problem of the top frame always being in the way on most glasses. I have even used frameless safety glasses and they end in the view to.

Second question. I know shooting clays, pistol shooting, fishing, skiing and such benefit from different lenses in different conditions. Do colored lenses actually make a difference when looking through a scope?

The Decots work just fine in prone - the top rim is well out of the way. There is a tradeoff between comfort and having the frame slide down your nose; for me, I'd rather push them back up occasionally than have the temples too tight behind my ears. The Rudy Project Rydons also seem to have adequate upper-rim height for prone shooting - if they don't, they'll go back.

Different-colored lenses are indeed very useful in clay-target shooting. For rifle, I've used nothing but clear lenses so far. I did make mistake of switching from clear to burnt-orange lenses between stage brief and my turn to shoot at a match last spring; I discovered that the dark-orange lenses made the grey steel targets effectively disappear against the dun-colored background - I couldn't find the targets and never got off a shot. So I can't speak to what colors work best when with rifle because I have stayed with clear lenses since. when the Rudy 5-lens set arrives, I'll experiment a bit (no burnt-orange lens in it ;-) )

I looked at the Decots, they don't look that tall to me. I'm not sure I'd be willing to buy them and risk it.

Thanks for the lesson on lense color choice!!!!

For those w/ the big ass melons, y'all may want to look at Liberty Optics. They make a quality frame w/ several different sizes & colors as well as wraparound styles. I have a pair that have seen eight years worth of wear & tear in environments ranging from brutal winters in the frozen north to equally fucking hot summers in the southwest desert. I have to replace the rubber nose piece soon as it has finally degraded. My insurance plan covers these as they're only $150. You guys would find it hard to believe all the shit these sunglasses have been subjected to & still look this good. Think of these glasses as being as durable as RecSpecs but w/ style.

I wear these as prescription sunglasses w/ hardened lenses for shooting, etc. These glasses kick ass.

Reactions: DerrtyMac
I looked at the Decots, they don't look that tall to me. I'm not sure I'd be willing to buy them and risk it.

Thanks for the lesson on lense color choice!!!!
The lenses aren't terribly tall (although they seem tall to me compared to wraparound styles) - but, properly adjusted, they sit high on the bridge of your nose. At one time - I don't know if they still offer it - Decot had a frame with a vertically adjustable bridge.

For those w/ the big ass melons, y'all may want to look at Liberty Optics. They make a quality frame w/ several different sizes & colors as well as wraparound styles. I have a pair that have seen eight years worth of wear & tear in environments ranging from brutal winters in the frozen north to equally fucking hot summers in the southwest desert. I have to replace the rubber nose piece soon as it has finally degraded. My insurance plan covers these as they're only $150. You guys would find it hard to believe all the shit these sunglasses have been subjected to & still look this good. Think of these glasses as being as durable as RecSpecs but w/ style.

I wear these as prescription sunglasses w/ hardened lenses for shooting, etc. These glasses kick ass.
@WATERWALKER
Which pair do you have? Just curious as I also ride a motorcycle and these don’t look half bad and comfy.

Safety Glasses USA has quite a few shooting models. Lots are even Milspec. I got some a while back They are comfortable and no distortion. They also offer different sizes. If you have a large head order the large ones. I got one pair in large and they are really for a large head! Anti fog-anti scratch-very flexible. A friend clued me onto this site for glasses just as I was getting ready to pay 'big' bucks for a name brand. Somewhere on their page it also states that some of the shooting models will stop a shotgun pellet at 15'. Don't remember what size shot though.

If your looking for relatively cheap options checked on Wiley X and ESS, they have a lot of different models to choose from and most can be purchased with interchangeable lenses. I have a pair of Wiley X and for 50 bucks they came with a case, cleaning cloth, 3 sets of lenses, and they seem pretty nice to me.
Not all are cheap options. ESS custom made me a set of extra strength lenses that have integrated laser protection (not a coating). Revision is another I think. I have these that work over and under or without a helmet too, they fit into your eye socket almost and are more comfortable than they sound. Sorta like having fish eyes but without distortion.

I've got a whole box full of eye pro and a several goggles.

But the ones I use the most? My ex wife worked for Gargoyles when I was still in the army. They went under for a while and liquidated their warehouse. I got some really nice Ti $300 sunglasses out of it but also came away with literally a box full of "Terminator" glasses in all colors and both sizes with and without side protection. Oh those were the shit and I sold most of that box to guys that took 'em to Iraq and where they no shit saved a bunch of eyeballs in IED blasts.

I'm still using mine, I have two pair of clear ones with white frames for loading and shop work and I have yellow, amber, mirror and shade along with clear but prefer the clear ones over all the others. I don't know what I'm gonna do when they finally give up.

Good eye pro with a good coating is worth it if you take care of 'em. Been using these, a LOT, for twenty years almost and they're still in excellent shape, not scratched up. IMO once they get scratched up they're worthless.