• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shooting Gloves

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Hey Guys,

I have a pair of Camelbak gloves I am considering customising for my shooting purposes.

I am thinking of cutting slits in the index fingers and thumbs for when I need to clear jams and when I am about to squeeze a light single stage trigger.

I use gloves to help defeat wind chill and am not in snowy or icy conditions.

I am thinking of putting the slits half way between the first and second lines that cross the fingers and thumbs, then sew the edge of the slits back over them selves so they don't fray.

After this I am considering sewing some small Velcro strips over the doubled over edges to allow for the glove to stop any water from rain entering (or getting caught on anything) when I am not in my FFP or have a jam.

Has anyone else done something similar?

The SKD PIG FDT Alpha gloves are pretty legit. Complete dexterity, nice control and feel and relatively inexpensive.

If you are going to be shooting with gloves on, my recommendation is not to cut them. You are sacrificing protection of your hands by cutting them up, just stick with a pair that is not too terribly bulky. If you do not need the gloves for protection purposes, then leave them behind. That's my take anyways.

Properly sized mechanix gloves have been my go to for years

Also I'll agree with ZombieMonkey on this one

Not to hijack the thread but thanks BJW182005. Those Pig gloves look sweet. Ive been looking for a glove for winter hunting/shooting and these look perfect.

I used camelbak gloves on two deployments. I liked them and they are one of the few I would not mind shooting with too much. But second pair I had (after the first pair were mistakenly taken by someone else for there pair of a different size) all but fell apart. Exaggerating but still in under four months the fingers just started coming undone. These were really only used when told to wear gloves or doing manual labor like moving things or digging. So comfort is good but durability is hit or miss (the first pair was still going strong after a year deployed).

Mechanix makes a "tactical" model of gloves I like but you will lose some dexterity. Regular mechanix would work well too and probably provide better dexterity. The tactical models have awesome grip. I wear them offshore and have lifted weights with them as well. They are tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk