• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shooting Guns where I Hunt?

bribri

Always Smooth
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    Opinions needed...

My family purchased a 600 acre cattle pasture/hunting paradise, it is filled with deer, turkey, and lots of other small game. It also features great terrain for shooting long range year round.

My question for you: Is the sound of gunfire and the ringing of steel targets going to have an effect on the quality of hunting.

My thoughts are, if the noise isn't affecting the wildlife visually or physically I should be OK right......

Does anyone have first hand knowledge in this department?

Short answer: Wildlife gets used to it. We have a local gun range close to the mountains in the woods. So far i saw deer twice by the side of the range, eating grass while about 15 people were at the range and shooting ... We were not sure whether the deer was repetitively teasing us, knowing that you'd get into severe trouble if you'd shoot it.

If you spend any time on a military range(my experience coming from the USMC), you will realize that the wildlife gets used to it. It doesn't scare them after they hear it daily. We got turkeys a lot on the ranges and I always thought it'd be sick to lob a mk19 grenade into their position! Haha! But yea, all in all I think the wildlife realizes its not a threat to them and just learn to live with the noise.

like the other people have said, they will get used to it if it is regular. If it is 4 times ayear it will spook them some. I'd be more concerned about dropping water tables in nebraska than sound though.

Yep, as above. Our local range has a fairly well manicured lawn- between the benches and the berms. It is full of deer droppings.

Before deer became so plentiful all over North Carolina one of the best places to hunt was at Butner National Guard range property. And believe or not, right around the 1000 yd range area. Obviously, it doesn't take long for wildlife to become accustomed to their surroundings and accept it as normal. Look at farm equipment. Deer do not seem to be affected by active farm machinary, but you better not get off and walk around! lol.

As others said you just got to see an active military range to see how quick wildlife will ignore gunfire.Iv fired .5 hmg and deer havent moved,dropped 81mm mortars within 500m of herds and they look up and then continue feeding.wildlife adapts to its surroundings and if gunfire is regular they will pass no remarks

We dove hunt on our deer lease just before the season starts. Hasn't phased em in 20 years. It's right at 1000 acres so not much than you have.

Angeles Range here in Los Angeles has to call cease-fire because of deer wandering on the range fairly often. Not a lightly used firing line.

Game animals will respond to hunting pressure though. Be selective of your shots and you should be fine.

Have shot over the heads of turkeys on my range as they will come out and stand between me and the targets. Deer have come out during shooting but they tend to go back in and not just stand out and feed. I shoot year round at the house they are are totally used to it. They will even just look at me when I ride around on the tractor, rzr, etc. Its all about what they get used to.

I have to wait for deer to mosy out of the way at my local range
    a few years back a man getting a late start -after sighting in his new rifle
    a bull walked out at the200 yard line
    some people are just real lucky I guess

Probably wouldn't spook immature deer, but a mature buck on the other hand, would be a different story.

I would agree 100% with this. I don't think it would effect turkeys or other game but if I was seriously trying to kill big mature whitetails I wouldn't do it.

summer would be ok I would think but about September I would hold off till I put the booner down