• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mat advice

RedRaider271

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
DFW Texas
I am purchasing gear for a training class and entry into long range tactical shooting. I am wondering what shooting mats to look at, I was going to buy a Voodoo tactial because I like their gun bags, but I have seen guys recomend different stuff, and some are rectangle, voodoo is like a triangle etc. Is a mat a mat or are their features that are important.

Just looking for some pros/cons for what is a good all around shooting mat.

Re: Shooting mat advice

I got a voodoo for christmas and its been ok. It has some pouches and came with a ammo carrier that can be detached. The elbow areas fold out on both sides. The padding feels pretty good. Can't complain since it was free
smile.gif

Just getting started too... I got the VOODOO mat also. I like mine, it sure beats being on the ground. I think that you can always try and see what you like, or best fits your needs. You can always upgrade if your gear isnt meeting your needs.

I have been shooting the long range precision for about 3 years now. Currently I have been going with less is more theory. TAB Gear shooting mat, compact, lightweight. If I need padding that's why I carry elbow pads or use my jacket. TAB GEAR mats also can be used for other things while in the field or shooting a match.

If you need to carry it TAB looks ideal.

If its only going from truck to line the CrossTac is the made in the USA luxury edition.

I own the PoliceOne or some such name knock off of the CrossTac. I liked the fastex buckle closure better than velcro CrossTac uses. I shove my rifle in the mat for transport.

The mat I bought is US-Peacekeepers product.

Here is a review

http://www.locknloadblog.com/2012/10/us-peacekeeper-folding-shooting-mat.html

I got the VooDoo drag bag that unfolds to a shooting mat. It's very thick and rugged. A little on the pricey side, but it was worth it to me. It comes with a spot scope case as well as an ammo pouch. It will be on my back if I ever have to leave in a hurry. The only thing that sucked about it is the 4 month wait, but I'm sure were all used to that by now. My cherry was popped with a 21 month wait on a 1911. I got all the patience in the world now.

I understand that, I just went through an 18 month wait on a doublestack 1911... I will check out some the brands mentioned,

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhKChqdhHaA&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZhKChqdhHaA&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

http://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Padded-Shooting-Mat.html

I think I can offer some insight since I only just took my first LR class last year.

Think small and easy.

The class I took had different locations to shoot from so packing up quick, and making sure it was light to carry was important. I didn't know any of this before I took the class. I started with a solid rifle case for my gun. A back pack with ammo, eyes/ears protection, notebook, binos, and the list goes on and on to about 45 lb. And I brought a separate shooting mat. I also brought a spotting scope too in its case too.

So this was too much gear for an intro class.

Long story short.
I ended up using a voodoo drab bag/ mat for all my needs.
These bag/mats have there plus and minuses.

Pros: Easy and quick to pack up your rifle.
No need to have a rifle bag AND mat.
You can also store other essential in bag.
Very thickly padded.

Cons: When rapping up your rifle in the bag/mat, the bottom of the mat is wrapped up inside the case. This is an issue if the ground is wet or muddy. Do you want to store your rifle in a wet case? I have an issue with this even if the storage is only temporary from range to my house, and it's why I don't use this mat on rainy days or in wet conditions.
These mats are heavy too.

So I stopped carrying most of the stuff I brought to my first class by the last day and all I needed was my voodoo bag/mat packed with my rifle, 200+ rounds, eye/ear pro.

Now this was a hot summer's weekend with no rain.
If it was wet out, I would have gone a different route.
I would have gone with my TAB Gear mat. Smallest and lightest. Shakes off the rain easy. But no padding. My rifle would have been stored in my eberlestock with the ammo.

And think about color, I went black. Not good for a summer day, but you can see all mud and dirt easily to clean off. Seeing the dirt is important I believe for the Voodoo bag/mat so it doesn't get mixed in with your gear. I would not go black on any other shooting mat however. It's a trade off there.

Here's what I would do:
Voodoo Drag/Mat (if convenience is priority and weather will be clear)Supplement this with a small bag for other necessities like mags, bug spray, sun lotion etc..

TAB Gear Mat/Eberlestock bag (if size and rain gear will be needed) You are sacrificing a padded mat here for size and weight.

Triad Mat/Eberlestock bag (if you're not sure of conditions)This is a middle-of-the-road mat that will be a little larger than the TAB gear mat.

The Ncstar from cheaper than dirt was like 60-80 bucks and nice with lots of added features and can use it for soft case and works well as a mat. i like padding as have to shoot off cement at times. and can add whatever you want to it but i carry most my stuff in backpack or bag. my rifle gets dirty no matter what and so does everything else.

I bought a drag bag ncstar from amazon. It came in coyote tan color, and it also serves as a firing mat, and you have space for another rifle, lots of accessories and even a cleaning rod. And for like 60 bucks. Very sturdy and designed to take punishment.

Worth every penny.

I have one from US PeaceKeeper that I use but it is designed more as a range mat that goes from truck to firing line as it is rather thick.

I bought a mat from Tactical Taylor, it is a folding kind, and works great. I will tell you, that is could double as a sled if there is snow or frozen earth under it. I about broke my ass when I stepped on my mat at the last shoot! I'm bringing my tent stakes for the next shoot! J