• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mat and case

RedDog3

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
OREGON
Here's the mat I made. It's attached to the case and rolls up into itself. It's 500D to be a little lighter and has a yoga mat sewn into the upper half for a bit of cushioning. I added a strap for the bipod legs to help in keep it from slipping. I have no idea if that actually works yet, I haven't tested it... I put a whole bunch of webbing on the case for multiple ways to attach to my ruck, depending on where it'll fit.

Attachments

• Mat1.jpg
    Mat1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Mat2.jpg
    Mat2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 107
  • Mat3.jpg
    Mat3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Mat4.jpg
    Mat4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Mat5.jpg
    Mat5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 101
The bipod loops are a great idea, looks similar to the LaRue sling. I could see carrying this in the field as opposed to the big bulky ones.

That was the whole thing that got me thinking about it. The ones we use are big, bulky, and don't get to a manageable size for easy transport. I'd done some tacticool sewing before so figured I'd give it a shot. It turned out better than I'd hoped, no snafu's along the way.

Very nice, this sounds weird to me, but it makes me wish I had a sewing machine.

I don't have a pattern, but I could throw some measurements on there I suppose. The mat itself went pretty quick, the case took awhile.

Very nice, this sounds weird to me, but it makes me wish I had a sewing machine.

Haha I know, my wife thinks it's funny that I want to get a sewing machine. I wonder whether an inexpensive one from Walmart could handle heavier material like this though

Haha I know, my wife thinks it's funny that I want to get a sewing machine. I wonder whether an inexpensive one from Walmart could handle heavier material like this though

I wouldnt count on a cheap one lasting that long it might work for a while but you will be far happier with a nicer one especially a powerful one that will still do bartacks for you.

I completed a similar project with my girlfriend's Husqvarna/Viking. I used 1000D and it sewed just fine. I've done up to 6 plys of 1000D, so I'm sure any machine you got should be able to handle it. Just use quality thread.

Awesome Bi-pod idea, I was trying to think of something similar for my Eagle mat/case and just used a old bag strap from my shooting bag. But yours is a nicer, cleaner way.

I am going to post up all the dimensions and whatnot. In fact I have them all written down and need to put them on the picture... I've just been slammed lately. I'll get there!

I completed a similar project with my girlfriend's Husqvarna/Viking. I used 1000D and it sewed just fine. I've done up to 6 plys of 1000D, so I'm sure any machine you got should be able to handle it. Just use quality thread.

It's the needle that creates problems. You need a denim needle or better and some of the cheapo sewing machine cant fit a denim needle.

Here's the mat I made. It's attached to the case and rolls up into itself. It's 500D to be a little lighter and has a yoga mat sewn into the upper half for a bit of cushioning. I added a strap for the bipod legs to help in keep it from slipping. I have no idea if that actually works yet, I haven't tested it... I put a whole bunch of webbing on the case for multiple ways to attach to my ruck, depending on where it'll fit.

what's the name of your new business? :)

OK, so here's the mat with some measurements thrown on it. Not fantastic since I had to do it in paint... I didn't have a pattern, I just winged it along. After I did the mat I rolled it up to see the size and started piecing the case together. The closed size of the case is 5.25" high, 16" long, and 5" wide. That's from seam to seam. I added in the webbing where I thought it would work best/look coolguy.
There is yoga pad in the top half of the mat, the $10 kind from Target or wherever. If anybody wants to give it a shot and runs into problems I'd be more than happy to answer questions or grab specific measurements.

Attachments

• 0411.jpg
    0411.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 54
+1 for the Viking sewing machine, you will need a #20 needle #18 will work as well.
Rockywoods.com has all your cordura,webbing,and buckles.

P.S. Needles are good for eight hours of continuous use then they go dull.

Good luck and have fun.

Another good place for materials is SeattleFabrics.com I live close to them so it's nice to drop in and see the inventory. they do online sales also.

You sir, are a genius. This is a top notch build. The bag addition is over the top. What is your assessment after roughly a year of use? Anything you would change or add? These would definitely sell.

Kraken Fan #69

Tag for copying a badass idea/design. I was literally drawing one up yesterday for a little project. Anything you think you would change thus far?

Great job and awesome design you came up with!

Take my money now!!!! Love the bag idea!!!! Still funny to hear grown men talk about sewing machines. I have an old sears and roebuck that works great so I am stealing this design before you trademark it.

Hey I haven't been checking here often enough; But so far i wouldn't change anything, and it's holding up good. I rarely use the bipod loops though. I usually shoot of a pack...

Dammit. Now I need a sewing machine. I have some 1000d and an old isomat and want to do something similar. Love the idea of the bipod loops. My initial plan was to glue a strip of high density foam over the front of the isomat as a stop for the feet.

I have a few heavy sewing machines for leather work, My con sew 230 goes through 1000d like butter at a high rate of speed. May have to give one of these a go. I made up a bunch of barricade bags yesterday.

For the shooter from a shooter.....
Great idea man. I'll be checking in to see if there are orders being taken bc I'd be interested in one too.

The short answer is 'No'. When you start going through heavy nylon fabric plus nylon or poly webbing, it could be a bit much. Singer does make a consumer-grade "heavy duty" model 4423 that can be had here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWXZQ0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ICVREH0HDCFD&colid=2WIPX0707LALH&psc=1