• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting mats

Cmkaco

New Rifle Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2019
Hi all. Looking for my first shooting mat. I searched, but could not find a thread on mats. Any brands to seriously consider or stay away from? I am leaning towards black, but maybe that is not a good idea. Would you suggest a different color or maybe camo so it doesn't always look dirty, or does that not really matter? I have heard people talk about a seam or something at the front of the mat to push your bipod legs against, but I don't really see mats that have this. Thanks for all your helpful advice, in advance!

Dark is bad except for winter shooting.

A lot of people use the built in lip of some mats but I rarely use it.

Personally I like my bipod on the dirt, rocks or concrete.

I really like the midway pads for the price.

Wilderness makes a nice and simple USA made pad.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I bought one from a guy on here (Ramrod00) that makes and sells them. I really like it and you can lay it in snow and water and stay dry.

Bought cheap one off amazon for like 20-$25. Had it for 2 years and still looks new.

Crosstac Recon

I recieved this as a gift. It is thin but so far I have been really pleased with it. Even on dirt and gravel its comfortable. I like how small it is rolled up.

There are some threads regarding the Midway mats around here somewhere. They are frequently on sale. I have the thick padded one and it’s super comfortable. Heck I slept on it at a zoo camp out with my kids the other day. It’s big and bulky but seems well made and did I mention comfortable.

I have a couple but like the Voodoo the best because it has the wings on the front so you're always on it. It also comes with clips that anchor it on the bottom of my pack out of the way till I (if I) need it. Oddly I am usually the only guy in the squad who totes one around. It's nice for stages were it's gravely or dusty, but I've shot a couple of matches in the rain where the shooting positions turned into pig wallows where I became the squad hero for having the mat. It's kind of a luxury item, but I'll leave the tripod and a bunch of other gear way before I give up my mat.

Reactions: ken4570tc in WY
I bought an el cheapo NcStar VISM one for $25 shipped - here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015I3J16C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great. 0.3" of padding, its tough, light and the quality seems identical to my friends $150 shit but without the word "tactical" all over it; or 17 dubious pencil pockets that no one actually uses IRL outside of youtube vlogs. Doesnt have a front seem to load a bipod on it either, but you could make one though. Imo overrated tbh, havent even noticed. I agree to stick with a non-black color simply to avoid burning your elbows off.

I bought a $10 light gray yoga mat from Walmart 2 years ago. Just hose it down after use. Set my bipod on the grass or ground.

I've had the Midway USA "Pro Series Competition" mat for years, and it's great.

More recently, I got their "Half-acre" mat, and it's awesome. The "Half-acre" mat is marketed as "big," but it's the exact same size as the Pro Series... it's just PADDED. And, it's COMFY! But, the "Half-Acre" mat isn't what I would call "portable," if you're hiking and humping gear to a remote spot. It folds up rather than rolls up. And, folded, it looks a bit like a "portable" massage table." :)

Here's a link to a comment I made on another thread about the Midway mats - with pics: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/midway-shooting-mat-on-sale.6934499/#post-7710173

Midway recently came out with a "Gen 2 Pro Series Competition" mat that is actually a few inches bigger than the original.

I think the Midway USA mats are a great value.

Midway has their Pro Series mat on sale now for $39.99.

That's a killer-deal! Worth buying as an extra (for your kid or when you bring a friend to the range) even if you already have one.

I’ve been in the market for one for awhile. Currently use a moving blanket. Guess I’m gonna have to look into the midway one.

I bought an el cheapo NcStar VISM one for $25 shipped - here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015I3J16C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great. 0.3" of padding, its tough, light and the quality seems identical to my friends $150 shit but without the word "tactical" all over it; or 17 dubious pencil pockets that no one actually uses IRL outside of youtube vlogs. Doesnt have a front seem to load a bipod on it either, but you could make one though. Imo overrated tbh, havent even noticed. I agree to stick with a non-black color simply to avoid burning your elbows off.
If it doesn’t say TACTICAL on it Your mat sucks. :p

Last edited:
Bought a cabelas brand four years ago for $79 and have never looked back. They have a lifetime replacement and it’s tough as hell. Drawback it’s too big to pack around all day at a match but for the house or local range it’s awesome

Reactions: Mr. Z
I have the midway USA Pro series gen 2

Super comfortable. My range has large gravel and this mat does a great job of making it not feel like gravel. I could definitely sleep on it mat with a sleeping bag.

Buddy has gen 1. Seems equally as comfortable and is on sale right now

This is the one I use. Quickly rolls up small and light. Easily secured to the bottom of my pack and deploys quickly. I had Velcro sewn on the front left and front right corners for velcroing on a range card or data sheet. It holds up for daily use in mud, grass, concrete, gravel, and dries quickly.

Go with the D-ring closures and not the fastex clips because the D rings won’t crack or break over time.

Best mat you can buy and the price is affordable.

Also, tan is a safe bet. Colors don’t matter but camo is tool bagish and black is just weird lol.

Reactions: OzzyO20
I'm up north and in the winter I go with a Cabelas shooting mat. Does a great job of not letting the earth suck the heat out from under you and is super comfy. The bottom is also water proof so you won't get wet if you set up on damp ground.
Another to consider would be Cole Tac and Triad tactical.

I have had a Tab for 10 years or so. I used it regularly but I also use a closed cell foam pad now and for winter shooting. I prefer bipod feet on ground.

Therm-a-rest Z Lite Sleeping Pad because I have a couple from backpacking. Haven’t needed anything more than that thus far.

Midway for me; I buy from Midway whenever I can.

I bought 2 of their better mats and used them for a National Match and the preceding trainup. I don't use bipod preload webs.

169107.jpg

They worked great; and despite the recent disuse, they are not for sale.

The ground here in the SE AZ High Desert is like concrete.

Greg

Last edited:
I have the midway pro mat, works well. I looked at that half acre mat, but the shipping is $25.

Midway Pro series is awesome. I've seen them everywhere when shooting matches. They are thick and comfortable and easy to haul around and use.

I did recently purchase the KRG shooting mat/rifle case because I needed a longer rifle case so I didn't have to remove my suppressor every time I loaded it into my other rifle bag. Not as thick as the Midway but works great for the dual purpose.

Midway = comfort/value

KRG = convenience/style

I have one from amazon and it’s well padded and durable. I would get one with good reviews.

Something to keep in mind if you ever shoot in mud or sloppy conditions....
A ROLL UP style mat will distribute the mud on the clean side of the mat when you roll it up.
A FOLD UP mat will keep the mud on the muddy side and you will have a clean side to shoot from.
The only time I ever use a mat is when it's nasty, so obviously I like the FOLD UP style.

Tactical Tailor makes a VERY nice folder.

JFR

there are some rifle "wraps", or soft rifle cases that unfold into a shooting mat, but some might be too expensive to consider.

@M8541Reaper
@45.308

I've been looking for a durable, lightweight, packable mat. I've have had a number of mats and never been quite satisfied with them due to size, weight, excessive padding, packability, durability, and water resistance. My current mat hits all my check marks except water resistance. I keep getting soaked knees, elbows and front side at the pressure points from the wet ground and/or snow. That TAB mat u boys linked, looks like what I've been wanting. It says in specs that it has water proof coating. How's it working, keeping u dry? Or just another mat that says water proof/resistant that actually works like a sponge. Otherwise my next move is to bust out the flex seal and do some undercoating.

Last edited:
@M8541Reaper
@45.308

I've been looking for a durable, lightweight, packable mat. I've have had a number of mats and never been quite satisfied with them due to size, weight, excessive padding, packability, durability, and water resistance. My current mat hits all my check marks except water resistance. I keep getting soaked knees, elbows and front side at the pressure points from the wet ground and/or snow. That TAB mat u boys linked, looks like what I've been wanting. It says in specs that it has water proof coating. How's it working, keeping u dry? Or just another mat that says water proof/resistant that actually works like a sponge. Otherwise my next move is to bust out the flex seal and do some undercoating.

Dude I ran it in November & December in AR for 5 weeks where it would be frozen ground in the AM and mud after lunch. Never had an issue with the part of me on it getting wet. It hoses off easily and dries quickly. We would have to scrape and spray the mud off at night and the next morning it was dry and ready for use (when draped over a chair indoors). It’s a great mat that I definitely recommend. You can’t beat the weight, size, and use of it.

Rolls up super quick and is really durable. Just get the metal D ring straps and not the QD fastex clips because plastic will always break at the worst time.

Here’s some pics.

I keep it strapped to the bottom of my MR 3DAP during transport and had some Velcro added to the left and right corners. I’m right handed so the left side is for velcroing a range card and the right side is my brass bag.

Attachments

• 47D58D0D-0F64-433F-AE98-66A1B1A5A823.jpeg
    47D58D0D-0F64-433F-AE98-66A1B1A5A823.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 45CCC4BD-62C8-438B-A9A7-94FBDA85FF79.jpeg
    45CCC4BD-62C8-438B-A9A7-94FBDA85FF79.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: