• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting (murder) at gun range

3PER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
USA
2 prison guards face charges for shooting range homicide

By: Ben Russell
7/31 4:33 pm

Two corrections officers from the State Correctional Institution at Camp Hill are charged in the shooting death of a Cumberland County attorney and the theft of his custom, silenced rifle, authorities announced late Friday.

Raymond Peake, 64, of Hampden Township, Cumberland County is charged with homicide, robbery and other crimes for the shooting death of Todd Getgen, 42, of Enola. The shooting happened last Wednesday at a State Game Commission rifle range in North Middleton Township, Cumberland County.

According to Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed, a witness told investigators they saw a man matching Peake's description driving away from the rifle range on the afternoon of Wednesday, July 21, the day Getgen was found shot to death.

On Thursday, July 29, officers began surveillance of Peake and followed him to a sporting goods store, where Freed said Peake purchased a gun cabinet. From there Freed said Peake drove to the Perry County home of Thomas Tuso, 34, of Duncannon, Perry County. Tuso is also a guard at SCI Camp Hill.

Freed told CBS 21 News that officers witnessed Peake carrying a heavy, black duffel bag out of Tuso's home. From there, detectives followed Peake to a storage unit facility south of Carlisle, Freed said. According to the district attorney, Peake then put the bag and the gun cabinet into a storage unit.

On Friday investigators executed three search warrants; at the storage unit, at Peake's home and at Tuso's home.

Freed said police found three firearms inside of the storage unit. One was Getgen's custom, silenced AR-15 rifle that was stolen from the range the day of his death. The second was a scoped Remington rifle that had been reported stolen from the same range in May. And the third gun was another AR-15 that Freed said ballistics may prove to be the murder weapon.

Freed said authorities confronted Peake and Tuso at the Camp Hill prison Friday.

Tuso is charged with conspiracy, receiving stolen property and other crimes, Freed said. Tuso's only connection to Getgen's homicide was storing the weapons, according to the district attorney.

On Saturday, CBS 21 News obtained court records. In them, Peake told police during an interview that he and Getgen were the only two people at the range. Peake said he found Getgen dead, then took his AR-15 with the attached suppressor. Peake said he later took the AR-15 to Thomas Tuso's home for the purpose of having Tuso keep it for him in Tuso's bedroom. Peake said he told Tuso that the weapon was from the man killed at the rifle range. Peake said Tuso kept guns for him and said they'd been " stealing guns for the purpose of overthrowing the federal government" ( of the United State of America.) Peake said he and Tuso together are members of this organization. Peake refused to name that organization and told police he would " kill to defend his country and he was stealing weapons to defend his country."

There are nuts everywhere, keep your awareness up and I would recommend a heightened sense of awareness where there are lots of loaded weapons around. Dont assume everyone at the range is friendly.

Re: Shooting (murder) at gun range

One of my buddies insists on carrying a loaded weapon of some sort everytime he walks down range to change targets. I always thought that was a little paranoid...maybe not.

Glad they caught these f#$k turds.

Yeah, unfortunately I've met a few undesirables out at the range as well. I now carry a hidden handgun in the cab of the truck.

What brought it home for me was last year a guy set up a target of a human silhouette (on a range on which he wasn't allowed to do so), shot it up with his handgun that was threaded for a silencer, then charged it, stabbing it repeatedly with a sheath knife. Crazy part? He didn't speak english very well, (Spanish, actually), drove a BMW and was well dressed. My suspicions, and those of some LEO's, (after they ran his background, and found no source of income) was that he was cartel property. Lovely.

We have also had the Gambino crime family pay a visit to the range. They sure looked out-of-place, greasy fat dudes with gold chains and jogging suits. My partner working the pits at the Colorado Rifle Club was an off-duty FBI agent, luckily. He ran the plates, New York plates, and got some answers. The guys were asking questions like, "Six hundred yards? That's six football fields. Could this be done in, like, a city, say?" Real subtle questions like this.

Always check your six o'clock, gents.

And if your shooting partner is a lady, as in your girlfriend and such, really be on your guard. The things that happen to women are terrifying, and you do need to be ready to defend them.

One more reason I avoid public ranges whenever possible.

Luckily there was a witness who got a description of this dirtbag. You never know who might be shooting next to you on the firing line...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my buddies insists on carrying a loaded weapon of some sort everytime he walks down range to change targets. I always thought that was a little paranoid...maybe not. </div></div>

I know a guy who does that too, sometimes more than one loaded weapon!

He's also remarkably appealing to the ladies!
<
<
<
<
<
<

Nothing makes me feel all that comfortable walking down range in front of a phalanx of ostensibly "unloaded" firearms; my safety entirely dependent upon the stridency of the range officers to police the line.

The prospect of returning rifle fire with a .40 cal pistol or my deeply concealed .380 would be largely futile I suppose but I will continue to delude myself into believing it provides me a chance to survive.

When I went to the range in NY I always left around 6k - 7k worth of rifles on the line. I could always hit a thief at 400M with my M4gery if I had to and always made sure I not only had one, but two mags after a local LEO got ripped off there(he was being stupid. Left his PSS with Leupy scope on the line and walked to the 400M berm. When he got back after not once looking as he was walking, he found his rifle, all his ammo, and even his cases were gone.
I always walked, looked, and insured what was mine would stay mine

WTF is this world coming to? I was @ the range once and someone stole all my targets. F**king worthless pos can't spend 10 bucks on targets, thats why Someone always stays behind while the other goes and retrieves the paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXtransplant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my buddies insists on carrying a loaded weapon of some sort everytime he walks down range to change targets. I always thought that was a little paranoid...maybe not. </div></div>
I never leave my house with out a loaded weapon on me, let alone the range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot1000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm all for the public hangings </div></div> at public ranges!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot1000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm all for the public hangings </div></div> at public ranges! </div></div>

I find this idea to be very acceptable to everyone who uses a range. We are truly a different folk, those of we who shoot and enjoy it

looks like a real winner. god.

I always carry my bolt or some other part that disables my guns and a loaded pistol downrange when I go to a public range. Personally, I hate shooting around anyone other than friends so we go way out to our own spots.

I've been taking my bolt out for quite awhile. Plus I check my 6 2 or 3 times anytime I'm walking downrange.

at the range one day me and a buddy were shooting, a guy and attractive young lady show up and after 10 minutes of hearing the guy being a complete ass to his girlfriend, he goes out to 100yd to put up targets. I offered her my rifle to shoot the ass boyfriend if she wanted,, he was a complete loser and we all would have said it was an accident. She didn't do it though, she laughed a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at the range one day me and a buddy were shooting, a guy and attractive young lady show up and after 10 minutes of hearing the guy being a complete ass to his girlfriend, he goes out to 100yd to put up targets. I offered her my rifle to shoot the ass boyfriend if she wanted,, he was a complete loser and we all would have said it was an accident. She didn't do it though, she laughed a little. </div></div>

Wonder how it would have gone down if there were no witnesses...

I was hit by an AD at a range 8 years ago, one in the foot with a .22 because somebody reloaded after cease fire. My friends/family still think i'm just being paranoid...i really liked those boots.

I only go to public ranges during the week when they are empty, if anyone else is there i go down the road to the next one since i have <span style="text-decoration: line-through">4</span> 3 (2 outdoor, <span style="text-decoration: line-through">2</span> 1 indoor) within 30 min from my house.

Forgot one closed a couple months ago.

Scary shit.Not to mention this type of incident FEEDS the antigun left. Curious about the "organization" that wasn't mentioned.

A lot of you have heard of or remember the Miami Shootout involving homocidal maniacs Platt and Matix(sp?) and several FBI agents. The freaks on at least one occasion, went to a remote range and took some guns from a sport shooter and left him for dead. Fortunately, they did not kill him, but it was not for lack of effort.

Just because someone likes firearms, does not mean he is like "us."

Take care, always.

david

Remembered today, A couple years ago there was a shooting here in central florida. Two guy were followed home from the gun range, shot in their driveway, and if i remember correctly, they took the loaded up car.

I always have my partner stay on the line and watch our stuff and the other citidiots, that come down to the country to do some shooting. And if a female friend comes with me and there are other people at the range I have her setup the targets up so I can watch her and the other people at the range at the same time. And if you have a pistol or a AR keep the clip at hand.

Just read the column in NRA magazine think its called armed citizen. Read about a few buglars in texas breaking into a home and the mother with her kids where home. http://www.americanrifleman.org/BlogEntry.aspx?id=2257&cid=25

When I go to one range I don't worry so much. But at another one in Glen Rose when I don't feel like driving to Mingus I worry and usually have my FIL with me who sits at the rifles and I check targets or vice versa. . Sad reality is I usually have more money in weapons in my vehicle then my vehicle is worth. When you get into the Long Range rifles and have more than one or two its real easy to roll out to the range with 10-20k worth of optics and rifles. Just something to think about

Leaving 2 AI sticks with S&B glass is bad enough-but worrying about being smoked by your OWN toys is disturbing.

One of the side issues with more and more people "taking part" in the shooting sports is the lack of training and common sense. The criminal element is completely unpredictable.

I've always said the biggest enemy of the shooting sports are within...

i live about 45 minutes from the range where this happend. ive shot there quite a few times. it has a nice 300 yard lane. crazy this happend there since its outside of a nice quiet town. crazy stuff. i think ill just stick to shooting at my parents farm.

This is the same way William Mattox and Michael Platt got the guns they used to rob banks, and eventually to kill two FBI agents in the 1986 shootout. Makes sense I guess, you go where the guns are if you need one... With this said I will not shoot alone or unarmed.

Lt. A's right. It seams like this sport is plagued with the "one extreem to the other" syndrome. Its people are either stand up enthusiests and professionals or complete lunatics. Thank God the vast majority are the former. Folks, never go to a public range alone.....period. I know it sux but make sure you have a pard and I mean a capable pard. Never leave weapons unatended, not ever. NOT EVER. Such are the times we live in.

okie

Howd I miss this !?? Boy Im glad they got that scumbag POS , red handed . Hang his ass .

I like having a bench and some shade while doing some ladder testing or getting a zero on a new rig . I have been shot at twice , while checking my target at 500 . This happened at the range in Green River WY . I liked that range better than the one at FireHole , no range Nazi ( the bird house lady quit ) so , now I might start going back . BUT I now carry down range and wear my Second Chance with plate's . under my shirt .

I hope this guy fries !!!