• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting off a floating platform and suspended tire. Tips,advice suggestions.

RRW

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
Alberta.,Canada
I attended a Precision Rifle Style match over the weekend which had stages utilizing a floating platform and tire suspended from a chain. Nothing to really practice with at home or at local range so trying to figure it out in the clock definitely didn't work. I know different things work for different people but just wondering what works and what doesn't. On the tire for example, where to rest the rifle, closer to the magwell or closer to the bipod,,bipod extended in the tire, bag on the tire and resting rifle on the bag etc. I know there more than on way to skin a cat so trying to pick some brains. Also any tips for the floating platform as well. Any input is appreciated.

floating platform: do everything slow and deliberate...dont jack the bolt...you should get a natural swing going, most every platform ive been on swings left/right about 1-2 mil for me, time/break your shots when the swing is at the far end of the path (far left or right during the slight pause before direction change, similar to natural pause when breathing)...if they allow you, you can use your feet against the chains/cables to put pressure to sort of steer/control some of the movement

tire: always just pushed in hard against my magwell area to remove as much slack as possible from the chain...if your arms are long enough, sometimes ill reach under the tire and grab my sling/fore end on the other side of the tire and apply down/rearward pressure to help steady things

I attended a Precision Rifle Style match over the weekend which had stages utilizing a floating platform and tire suspended from a chain. Nothing to really practice with at home or at local range so trying to figure it out in the clock definitely didn't work. I know different things work for different people but just wondering what works and what doesn't. On the tire for example, where to rest the rifle, closer to the magwell or closer to the bipod,,bipod extended in the tire, bag on the tire and resting rifle on the bag etc. I know there more than on way to skin a cat so trying to pick some brains. Also any tips for the floating platform as well. Any input is appreciated.

First have a good shooting stance to target, tire against mag well, push froward with shooting shoulder. Pull back on the tire with your none trigger hand on the tire in-front of the mag well. A good stance is required. Floating shot, depending on number of shots required an time. Tethered tight none issue, tethered loosely, use hands/feet in the water. None tethered, as much of lower body/feet in the water/bottom if possible. Getting wet is a none issue and is just part of the requirement at times.

The platform I've started climbing on from the side gently. I try and take my time and let the platform settle a bunch before I shoot. Usually it's almost done moving. Then between the shot and running the bolt I get movement, again trying to let it settle before shooting again.

Cant help with the tire like that. Never shot one.

I don't shoot from platforms in the water, but I do have some experience with shooting using a tire swing. Load the tire just like you would a bipod only more so. The more tension you can generate in the tire chain, the more stable the tire will be. The important thing is to be sure you are centered under the chain to minimize side forces on the rifle, you don't want to be fighting that.