• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting off bipod in Deep Snow / Off snow & ice

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    Well I found another thing I need to work on. I shot some this weekend off a bipod on both deep snow (16-20)", as well as snow tramped down with snowshoes, and on a frozen surface of compact snow and ice. Maybe I do need some spikes on my bipod feet.

My results were very inconsistent/poor at best! I couldn't figure out a way to consistently load the bipod. One shot would hit very close to the point of aim, and without a significant change in condtions, the next would miss the steel completely. Also, the deep snow precluded spotting my misses for the most part, and I was unable to see bullet trace. Any suggestions? Perhaps I should have tried shooting off my pack, as it may have been easier to maintain a consistent hold in this position.

Re: Shooting off bipod in Deep Snow / Off snow & ice

I have had similar issues, but on my wet side of the state the snow is easier to pack, so I just kinda thump the bipod into the snow, & it's steady. On your side, I would use my claws, or place the bipod on the edge of my mat so it has something other than fluff to grab on to. I have placed my knee pads under the bipod in the snow before too. But I think the ruck would be the way to go.

Place a Frizzby under the bipod feet. Bigger = better.

Never shot in snow but if I were to, I'd use the rubber interlocking mats...these are my shooting mat.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&key...cking&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:gym mats interlocking

Maybe go to the hardware store and get some 2"-3" steel washers, appropriate sized hex head screw (not allen) and what ever size washers needed so the hex screw doesn't slip through the 2"+ washer.

I like the frizbee idea...

I'd also consider a 2x4 about 3' long-- should be able to lock that in the snow and push into that.

Easiest is probably just your backpack
    just off the top of my head

studded bipod rubbers / winter tread

a great million dollar tacticool idea...i'll only take 25% for coming up with the concept, get the patent office on the phone.

i tried to use bipod skis, but Stanley and his brother Stosh got PO'd with being face down in the snow.

Take a look at the "Rucksack as a rifle rest"..

Shoot off of the ruck or use the snow shoes to build a platform for the bipod feet. If the snow is soft and deep it does not matter what type of feet you have on your bipod. Spikes, Pod Claws, Harris Rubber, or skids they all sink in. Using snow shoes to place your bipod feet on works great. Your pack with a Precision Rifle Solutions pack pad and cradle make it easy. If the snow is really deep sometimes you can stand a set of shooting sticks up in the deep snow. Some times it does work to lay behind shooting sticks instead of sitting behind them.

Shit I didn't even think about the snowshoes, which were stuffed in the snow behind the shooting area I had tromped down. I'll give a couple of the suggestions a try this weekend. Thanks!

Don't rule out Shooting-Sticks.(Some folks call them cross-sticks) I have used them in deep snow. Each leg has an embedded 10-penny nail point in its base. They are infinitely adjustable for height above the snow, instantly. They have a secondary use as walking sticks, are light weight and very strong. They cost me under ten bucks to build.

Interlock (cross) your ski poles using wrist slings and lean em back to get the height you need...works best when sitting or standing. Not as consistent as prone but better than a barrel filled with ice.

you talk the talk...do you walk the walk?

Last edited:
    up here in Winnipeg,MB Canada. I usually shoot off my pack or put the bi-pod on a snow shoe when shooting from the prone

I run into this problem Yote hunting all the time. Ive found shooting your snowshoes works the best fr e. Also you might want to carry another set of gloves just incase your bipods fall throw your snowshoes.