• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes shooting on a budget

tkowal

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2014
CrossfireII 3-9x50 BDC item# IK-713950 itm# from cabelas, Crossfire II 3-12x56 AO SKU CF2-31049 from vortex.com.
Rife is a Remington 700 in 308. and i will mostly be shooting either Remington, Hornady, or fusion all at 150g

So those are the two optics I've been looking at, basically my questions are theres
1. I am looking at not spending a ton as i don't have a alot of free cash to spend on optics and will not be shooting long range and will mainly be looking to use it for hunting in the pacific north west
2. reviews what do you guys think, i know a lot of people say you get what you pay for but I've herd a lot of good things about vortex and i know they are probably the best optics in my price range
3. Do you think that the 3-12x56 is to set up for hog hunting and would have more things on it then i would honestly need.
So please feel free to let me know what your guys thoughts are on theses optics and also understand I'm looking to spend around 350 when I'm all said and done with the optics on my gun ready to go put the boom stick to work. thanks guys really look forward to what you guys have to say .
thanks
Trevor

If you're going to spend that much, I'd go ahead and get the 3-9x40 Viper instead of the Crossfire. Smaller objective, sure, but better build and better glass for around $300.

I'd skip the Chinese crap and get something that will hold zero when you're out hunting. If 350 was my limit I'd go with the Weaver 3-10x42 tactical. Made in Japan and sub 300 bucks so you still have cash left over to get some good rings.

Ditto the above posts. If your budget is EXTREMELY tight I would also look at the Redfield options, primarily the USA-assembled Revolution.

Vortex provides good warranty service but I wouldn't expect much of anything quality-wise on their bottom tier scope line (or anyone else's sub-$200 variable scope. If you want a higher quality scope in that low price range I would consider a fixed power scope, either a used SWFA SS or a new Weaver 4x38 or 6x38. The SS gets your turrets and a decent reticle, the Weavers have neither but are good glass for $150 or less.

I 100% agree with limedust. Get the Viper 3-9x40 and you won't be disappointed. It's one of my favorite hunting scopes.

SWFA 10x fixed. Japan built. no BS lifetime warranty.

THE BEST scope out there for $300. PERIOD.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope

ss10x42mq.jpg

Zeiss conquests were on closeout for $299 recently. You should be able to find one of those for ~$299 used. EXCELLENT glass.

Leupold VXII, even VXIII can be found under $350.

Heck, a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14 is a great scope for the money and is under $300.

Bender has the right idea.

Go with SWFA if you are spending less than 500.00 or so

I have broken a few (my fault) and have had no issues getting a new on shipped to me with no hassle.