• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Squirrels in the Head at 100 Feet Offhand...Fantasy or Reality?

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I have really offended people by suggesting that anyone who claims to shoot little grey squirrels in the head, offhand, at 100 feet, with an ordinary .22, killing them CONSISTENTLY, is either lying or letting pride warp his memory.

I'm not talking about shooting the best match ammo from a bench, using a great scope and an expensive rifle. I mean a typical $250 Bass Pro rifle with ordinary ammunition. I'm talking about an ordinary guy who doesn't shoot competitively, with a Skoal circle on the back pocket of his jeans. Standing with the rifle at his shoulder. Not leaning on anything. In the woods. Aiming at an animal that will run off if he takes his time.

I'm wondering...what do people here think?

A squirrel's brain is less than 1/2" from top to bottom, and it's slightly over an inch long. You can shoot a squirrel in the head and injure it badly and not kill it. I shot a squirrel's lower jaw off one day and saw it wandering around trying to feed the next day, which is why I now use a shotgun for standing shots. I put a spinner target 100 feet from my bedroom door, and I aimed at it with a scope. Even when I lean on a doorway, I find that the point of aim wobbles around in about a 1-1/2" circle, making an ethical shot impossible. With no support at all, things are even worse. Then there is the .22 ammo, which is doing great if it gives you 1/2" groups, rested, at 100 feet.

What do the rest of you think?

Squirrel head shots at 33 yards... yeah I think it's doable.

Practice... practice... practice...

Put a Franklin on the table as a challenge to skoal pocket and report back on the results .

@MK20 I got to see the shooter in the video put on an exhibition with a Benelli shotgun at a trapshoot years ago.... pretty impressive to say the least.

Last edited:
99DFEE2D-5205-44EF-A7C4-C57C3F7A2CA5.jpeg

I have really offended people by suggesting that anyone who claims to shoot little grey squirrels in the head, offhand, at 100 feet, with an ordinary .22, killing them CONSISTENTLY, is either lying or letting pride warp his memory.

I'm not talking about shooting the best match ammo from a bench, using a great scope and an expensive rifle. I mean a typical $250 Bass Pro rifle with ordinary ammunition. I'm talking about an ordinary guy who doesn't shoot competitively, with a Skoal circle on the back pocket of his jeans. Standing with the rifle at his shoulder. Not leaning on anything. In the woods. Aiming at an animal that will run off if he takes his time.

A squirrel's brain is less than 1/2" from top to bottom, and it's slightly over an inch long. You can shoot a squirrel in the head and injure it badly and not kill it. I shot a squirrel's lower jaw off one day and saw it wandering around trying to feed the next day, which is why I now use a shotgun for standing shots. I put a spinner target 100 feet from my bedroom door, and I aimed at it with a scope. Even when I lean on a doorway, I find that the point of aim wobbles around in about a 1-1/2" circle, making an ethical shot impossible. With no support at all, things are even worse. Then there is the .22 ammo, which is doing great if it gives you 1/2" groups, rested, at 100 feet.

I think ethics thoughts are best kept to yourself. You by your statements show you know YOUR limitations, a fine thing as long as you don’t impose them on others.
I compete when I can, hunt when I can. I push my limits on targets when I can, so I believe in my abilities when hunting within MY LIMITATIONS. I don’t dictate them to others. I SUGGEST anyone who squirrel hunts to limit themselves to distances and positions that guarantee a hit on a golfball every time, and to practice to maintain or improve that skill level as it is perishable.

My harvest in the photo was shot with the intent of exact placement of the round. I don’t shoot “at squirrel”, I shoot at a spot on the squirrel, but that’s just me.

.410 shotgun is the way to go, IMO. Off course not at 100 yds.

I do not even attempt a squirrel craniotomy offhand.
I'm always braced on something, be it tree, fence post, or shooting stick.
99.9% of my shots are at less than 20 yards, the rest at less than 25 yards.
The fun is not in the shot... it's in finding out how close you can get that makes it entertaining.
At 20 yards no need for match ammo....my favorite is Fed 36 gr cphp, in a Marlin 60 with a red dot.
Nobody is taking 50 yard shots in the North Florida thickets...no way.

The Benelli video is nice, but that's a top pro exhibition shooter, using what has to be excellent ammo and a very fine rifle, shooting at what appear to be fairly short distances, doing shots he has practiced for decades, with very predictable targets, as part of his job. Exceptional talent and thousands of hours of practice with free match ammo and fine guns will definitely result in extraordinary marksmanship. Very few people have those advantages.

These days, hours of daily practice with good .22 ammo could cost fifty grand a year.

Squirrels are unpredictable, hence the term "squirrelly," and they present themselves in all sorts of positions, twitching and threatening to bolt in random directions at any time. They don't wait for you, glued to a stick, and they don't take predictable trajectories like thrown targets.

If what he did in the video were done commonly by amateurs, there would be no reason make the video. It wouldn't impress anyone.

And would even he make that same video, shooting the card 20 times with no cuts? I wonder. Maybe he can do it. Can't tell from edited video.

As for what I consider consistent, wouldn't say I could make a shot consistently unless I could do it no less than 98% of the time. A miss should be very unusual. If I were hitting 80% or 90%, I'd say I could usually do it, but I wouldn't tell people it was easy.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe some day I will actually meet someone who will amaze me by hitting a 1" by 1/3" target over and over, offhand, at 100 feet, with Bass Pro ammo and an off-the-shelf 10/22. Maybe one of you confident shooters should make a 100-shot uncut video with 2 or fewer misses on the first take. It would be great to see, and it would inspire others to practice.

Reactions: Evolution 9
The Benelli video is nice, but that's a top pro exhibition shooter, using what has to be excellent ammo and a very fine rifle, shooting at what appear to be fairly short distances, doing shots he has practiced for decades, with very predictable targets, as part of his job. Exceptional talent and thousands of hours of practice with free match ammo and fine guns will definitely result in extraordinary marksmanship. Very few people have those advantages.

These days, hours of daily practice with good .22 ammo could cost fifty grand a year.

Squirrels are unpredictable, hence the term "squirrelly," and they present themselves in all sorts of positions, twitching and threatening to bolt in random directions at any time. They don't wait for you, glued to a stick, and they don't take predictable trajectories like thrown targets.

If what he did in the video were done commonly by amateurs, there would be no reason make the video. It wouldn't impress anyone.

And would even he make that same video, shooting the card 20 times with no cuts? I wonder. Maybe he can do it. Can't tell from edited video.

As for what I consider consistent, wouldn't say I could make a shot consistently unless I could do it no less than 98% of the time. A miss should be very unusual. If I were hitting 80% or 90%, I'd say I could usually do it, but I wouldn't tell people it was easy.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Maybe some day I will actually meet someone who will amaze me by hitting a 1" by 1/3" target over and over, offhand, at 100 feet, with Bass Pro ammo and an off-the-shelf 10/22. Maybe one of you confident shooters should make a 100-shot uncut video with 2 or fewer misses on the first take. It would be great to see, and it would inspire others to practice.
I’ve never seen squirrels bold or dumb enough for you to keep shooting at them...

Don't hold y'er breath buck. :(

I have trouble getting folk's to attempt the Grid at 50 yards, using any setup that makes 'em happy.

Last edited:

So your first post said you call bs on people who claim to be able to make the shot, then you change your commentary to say since amateur shots can't do it, you are right.

Oh, and you also say that the shots by Tom Knapp were at close range and endlessly rehearsed.

Ok.

I'll see your ignorant comment and raise you an Ad Topperwein.

Screenshot_20220523-202828_Brave.jpg

And lastly, hours of 22 practice at today's prices will cost 50,000 a year you say.

50,000 at the current market price of 7 cents per round would be:

714,285 rounds of 22.

If you shot every day of the year you would have to shoot 1,956 rounds a day to shoot it all.

You are full of shit and ignorant to boot. I have spent time trying to educate you and this is the end of my time expenditure. I have better things to do, like go shoot.

BTW, I can hit a swinging 2 ft long 3/8" chain length at 35 yards about 60% of the time when I am in practice with my 22. And the chain has holes so if it were solid my percentage would go up.

That is a target the size of a squirrels head SWINGING at 105 feet.

Just because you suck doesn't mean others do. Shoot more.

I'm out.

More than doable if you practice enough. Used to do it with my Sheridan 5mm pump pellet rifle with open sights when I was in high school. My buddy and I would take our pellet guns when we went deer hunting and take turns cutting the grass and weeds around camp in the evenings. In college my roommate came home one day to see me shooting berries out of the tree off our balcony. They weren't much bigger than a .22 pellet and I was usually about 80% at 30 feet. My roommate didn't believe me so I had him pick my targets, a couple weeks later I'd taught him to do it.

Buck,

I'm shocked by your accretion that the average guy, with average equipment tends to BS his way through things or simply has
a bias memory.

Ya know the type.... I was doing 130 mph in my four cylinder Chevrolet Berretta! But Shawn, .... your speedometer only goes
to 110 mph?? A common response would be.... I can just tell !! Or what's your highest hang glider flight? I'm sure I was over
7000 feet !! The school buses looked like yellow rice !!

Most people are not Lucky McDaniel and gifted in Instinctive shooting, very often things get inflated. Why? Who knows. It
doesn't even matter why. My uncle claims he could draw his Ruger single Six and hit snow shoe rabbits in the head on the run.
When offered one of my junky long gun's, he wont even sit down.

I was once at a match in Kentucky with a friend and we were staying at his parents home. After the first leg his father asked Ricky
how he was doing?? He said that Shawn Is tied for first and he was tied for second. That was technically an accurate statement.
What he failed to offer up to his father was that Shawn was tied for first place in Unlimited "A" class and Rick was tied for
second in "C" class. I cant imagine what would have motivated him to lie to his father or even worse.... himself.

Did Ricky feel like he was telling a big fat lie?? I don't know what he thought or felt.... it never came up. Ricky was a nice guy but
he never amounted to anything in a shooting context. I used to work with over a 1000 designers and often people would exclaim that
so-n-so was a nice guy!! I would have to repeat myself and say.... I didn't say he wasn't a nice guy. I said his work sucks !!
In a career like mechanical design, things work or they don't.

Is a little grey doable ?.... sure it is. The internet say's the brain is about .94" square. When you take the word average shooter into
consideration..... NO !! The average guy wont be able to do it.
My guess would be that out of 100 people maybe 10 could do it as described by the OP. That's 10%

At my LGC, I'm yet to be impressed by anyone. They are using lot tested ammo in bolt guns on some PTFE covered rear bag.
Average guy.......

Personally, I found aspirin a fun target at 50 yards since they powder like skeet. With my .177 air rifle. Nearly all of my comps are
shot on my butt as shown. I once asked Roz Sumpter why we don't reduce the size of the kill zone to make it more challenging ??
He replied....because it needs to be FUN for everyone. He was right..... My very first match was a two day event. I got 8 out of 100.
That was 4 points on each day. Do you think I wanted to come back and get brutalized again?

btw... My glider has an altimeter with memory.
My Chevrolet had a six speed direct drive and you could do the math per 250 revolutions. The ground speed limiter engaged
at 6000 rpm in 6th gear.

But it's just my opinion....

Attachments

• WORLDS.jpg
    WORLDS.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 89
30yrds, don’t think that takes Chris Kyle and a AI, also killing a tree rat with a 22LR ain’t hard, that’s like you or me getting hit by artillery lol

Reactions: FuhQ and obx22
And lastly, hours of 22 practice at today's prices will cost 50,000 a year you say.

50,000 at the current market price of 7 cents per round would be:

714,285 rounds of 22.

A pro wouldn't practice with 7-cent ammunition, and where are you finding match ammo at that price in 2022? I figure 3500 expensive .22 rounds per week at 30 cents per round, if you're shooting all day, like a pro. Comes out to about fifty grand. What if I'm wrong and it's twenty grand? Still a lot for a typical shooter to spend. And now that I think about it, a guy like Tom Knapp will be shooting other weapons most of the time, so the .22 figure is probably low.

If you shot every day of the year you would have to shoot 1,956 rounds a day to shoot it all.

You are full of shit and ignorant to boot. I have spent time trying to educate you and this is the end of my time expenditure. I have better things to do, like go shoot.

What brought on all the rage? This is a friendly discussion. Whatever my faults are, I can say I'm haven't been rude to you. At least you spared Justin and Hafejd30, who seem to have their own doubts.

Here's a video of Youtuber and champion shooter Paul Harrell shooting .22 rifles offhand at 75 feet, which, most mathematicians agree, is less than 100 feet. Go to about 6:45. As you will see, he fails the test with EVERY GROUP, even at 3/4 of 100 feet. He shoots very well, but not well enough to kill squirrels reliably with brain shots at 25 yards. He has so many shooting medals, he can't carry them all at once. He made a video where he piled some of them on a table, so that's how I know. I don't think he sucks, but everyone has different standards. I congratulate you on shooting not just a little better, but way better than Paul Harrell. I admit, I can't do it. I think he's a wonderful shot.

Here he is with some of his medals, at around 58 minutes. Of course, I was not present when he claims he won them.

Consider this: shooting a completely stationary squirrel brain at 100 feet offhand is slightly harder than shooting half a TUMS tablet offhand at 33 feet, which is a hard shot to make virtually every time. And a TUMS tablet will sit there all day and let you take your best shot.

While I'm here, I'll give an example of what I consider an easy shot: a 4" bullseye at 25 feet, with a Glock or nearly any other Bass Pro pistol and cheap FMJ, shot offhand. I can do that all day long. I can't miss unless I get a weird cartridge or I do something very unusual. Make it a 2" circle, and I will still hit it the vast majority of the time, but there will be plenty of misses, so I don't call 2" an easy shot. I will hit 1" most of the time, but not enough to call myself a bona fide 25-foot Glock squirrel brain shooter. Given my limited ability and very ordinary equipment, this is what I can do, and it shows what "easy" means to me. For a better shooter, the circle would be smaller.

The fallacy in your thought is that you assume that since the person in question wasn’t using top end gear and doesn’t shoot professionally, that he’s an every day average Joe shooter. My grandfather was as rough around the edges as you could imagine. He could however have taught you a lesson or two about off hand shooting and what actually can be accomplished. He never competed in a match in his life and would have laughed at you all day long.

The next part where your assumptions are wrong is the part where you think this matters. I’m ashamed to admit that I was bored enough to respond.

2FD10ECB-3C6C-44DB-894A-EB7A2AE7F3DD.jpeg
2F07BDD0-E33C-477A-836C-142ADA1A945F.jpeg
892446D3-C149-44BA-8E1B-8A5AFBF4279B.jpeg
C65F530B-7130-4CFC-A7A7-09DB3640BA82.jpeg
A703D335-2B89-4178-916E-08A29A57C4BA.jpeg
52C32CF3-BA71-4946-BCC2-323E28549923.jpeg
39944AEF-5ACD-4A99-9972-4081BF792F92.jpeg

I shoot a few squirrels most years. 😉 Have done so since the 1960’s. Over 99.5 % are headshots. Cannot recall the last one that was otherwise. Would say 20% are offhand. Not sure on range average but I darn sure take offhand head shots to 50 yards if needed.
My rifles are not 250 each. My ammo is Win Super Match, Eley Match or Tenex.
6D5655C0-46BA-4D55-9C3D-81CBD6C0E9FC.jpeg
C4101F29-6282-4C44-B5A7-B68D57E00204.jpeg
EEABF16B-05A9-4F82-BF5C-60C9C5E82901.jpeg
56474B0F-6039-4A31-9ED1-7A32A82FE327.jpeg
1479EAA1-DCCA-44D8-9062-AD890F856FC6.jpeg

Attachments

• B1EDDD06-7BBC-420D-923F-A09EA36F3C84.jpeg
    B1EDDD06-7BBC-420D-923F-A09EA36F3C84.jpeg
    761.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
View attachment 7876519View attachment 7876518View attachment 7876517View attachment 7876516View attachment 7876515View attachment 7876514View attachment 7876512
I shoot a few squirrels most years. 😉 Have done so since the 1960’s. Over 99.5 % are headshots. Cannot recall the last one that was otherwise. Would say 20% are offhand. Not sure on range average but I darn sure take offhand head shots to 50 yards if needed.
My rifles are not 250 each. My ammo is Win Super Match, Eley Match or Tenex. View attachment 7876528View attachment 7876527View attachment 7876526View attachment 7876525View attachment 7876513
What rifles are those bolt actions? Beautiful.

In my younger years I could probably do it 8 out of 10 times. But now at 61, I've got the shakes so bad, I couldn't do it at 30 feet.

Don't get old guys, well at least old like BullGear.

Reactions: nikonNUT and obx22
View attachment 7876519View attachment 7876518View attachment 7876517View attachment 7876516View attachment 7876515View attachment 7876514View attachment 7876512
My rifles are not 250 each. My ammo is Win Super Match, Eley Match or Tenex. View attachment 7876528View attachment 7876527View attachment 7876526View attachment 7876525View attachment 7876513
Ahh...my favorite rifles!
DW

Reactions: RTH1800
mmm tree rat , tree rat Rollie Polly tree rat pan fry em up yum

Reactions: lash
Tree rats are good eating. I spent over 12 years in Asia; I have no doubt plenty of the "chicken on a stick" was long tailed regular rats...it was good too.

Reactions: nikonNUT and lash
Most of the new guys that came to Korea were scared to eat off base, because they were worried it would be dog meat. Trust me, you're not getting served dog unless you pay for it, it's a "delicacy" and very expensive.

Curious, what do you do with the tree rats?

The best part of rimfire and squirrels is the variety of shots to be made.
There's the old peek-a-boo left side of the tree one eye visible, then right side, 30 feet up.
There's the over the branch under the chin shot straight up.
There's the head down tail up hanging on the side of the tree, or the inverse.
There's the ground sitter digging between the roots with only the ears visible.
The fork sitter peeling a pine cone raining debris on you while trying to line up a shot.
There's the downhill from the tree stand at the bushytail barker
that just scared off every bit of venison for a quarter mile in every direction.
And then there's the kamikaze that runs right up to you
while y'er leaning back on the trunk of the pecan tree. The old off the knee special.
But I gotta tell ya', not one of those is a stationary target...
.....and offhand is dang difficult at any distance. Bloody good fun though. :D

Squirrel stew....squirrel fricassee... squirrel gumbo....squirrel fritters....buffalo squirrel quarters
BBQ squirrel, teriyaki squirrel tempura, squirrel marinara on a bed of linguini, garlic squirrel, fried squirrel...

Dayum, now I'm hungry. ;)

Last edited:
The best part of rimfire and squirrels is the variety of shots to be made.
There's the old peek-a-boo left side of the tree one eye visible, then right side, 30 feet up.
There's the over the branch under the chin shot straight up.
There's the head down tail up hanging on the side of the tree, or the inverse.
There's the ground sitter digging between the roots with only the ears visible.
The fork sitter peeling a pine cone raining debris on you while trying to line up a shot.
There's the downhill from the tree stand at the bushytail barker
that just scared off every bit of venison for a quarter mile in every direction.
And then there's the kamikaze that runs right up to you
while y'er leaning back on the trunk of the pecan tree. The old off the knee special.
But I gotta tell ya', not one of those is a stationary target...
.....and offhand is dang difficult at any distance. Bloody good fun though. :D

Squirrel stew....squirrel fricassee... squirrel gumbo....squirrel fritters....buffalo squirrel quarters
BBQ squirrel, teriyaki squirrel tempura, squirrel marinara on a bed of linguini, garlic squirrel, fried squirrel...

Dayum, now I'm hungry. ;)

I hate eating squirrel when I'm invited over a friend or relative's house. Cause you can almost be guaranteed they were taken with a shotgun. I hate eating lead pellets.

I hear ya' BG.
My family uses either a 22lr or an air rifle.
As gramps taught me so many years ago:

The only shot ya' take is a head shot.
Hit it anywhere else we'll never let you live it down.
You'd best bury the carcass and make like it never happened.
😎

RTH1800,
Great looking guns.... I especially admire your CC gun. I normally have no interest in pump guns, from what
I can see of yours, I may like one like it. What is it?? I just picked up my first LN Redfield 3200 scope. As nice as it looks
your scopes have a little bit more visual appeal. The 3200 and it's mounts are simple high gloss black. With your scope, the
spring and aluminum mounts lend it a lot of visual character. A few of your quality guns would be better than two
dozen RRPRs.

MadDuner,
I have thought that many times. This type of thread has near zero empirical data to support it yet it is the kind of thread that
people seem to become the most inflamed with their reply. The OP is just expressing his opinion which means nothing and the
subject matter means nothing!

My uncle Bill claims he used to draw his Ruger Single Six and shoot snow shoe rabbits in the head while on the run.
I have offered the opportunity to shoot my .22LRs and he didn't want to!! Last night I remembered what my uncle said when
he refused my offer. "" It's not a challenge with a rifle and scope""

He and others can say those words but what I hear is that the proclaimed hunting prowess was blown way out of proportion
and he is afraid of looking the part of the fool. I don't care if he can shoot now or ever could, he created a lie a chooses to live
in it. He is also a self proclaimed Master Machinist. He cant work with decimal inches and he cant read the Starrett micrometers
that I gave him. Recently I had to replace his water heater for him.
After that I found myself doing some electrical work for him. He claimed he used to do it but had forgotten how to change out
a circuit breaker or use a circuit tester to test for continuity.

I have no idea why people will often lie when the truth very often would serve them just as well or even better.

I'm happy to help people out.... ignorance is no sin! When someone is caught in a lie or obviously BS'ing their way through
something, I can feel my respect for the person and my motivation to help them go through the floor.

Lesson learned.....Don't discuss, politics, religion or shooting squirrels in the head. LoL
People are funny animals.....

I once walked into a store and the people were attempting to catch a bird with a black plastic trash bag. As the bird went
zipping around, my brain directed my hand to reach out and snatch the bird while as he flew by. I had not planned it
nor even considered it. I suddenly realized the bird was in my hand. I didn't hit him, nor did I crush him. Apparently, my
brain had taken complete control to make every calculation required. As I recall, I petted his head with my finger, walked
him to the door as though I do it all of the time and released him. Could I do it again???? Not in the 40 years since then.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: nikonNUT and lash
I’ve head shot turkeys past 50 yards, one with my RimX and one my T1X offhand. They also have tiny brains apparently. No sling, just offhand kneeling. I didn’t recall it being a particularly difficult shot either times. Wasn’t with match ammo either. Eley 38gr HP and CCI 45gr HP and a cheap leaupy 3-9 mark AR to keep the weight down.

Not sure how squirrels at 33 yards would be any different...

There you go.

If you can't shoot well enough to hit them, don't assume others can't.

Seriously, Tom Knapp ?
We had that asshat out to our upland bird lodge and that ASSHAT couldn't hit shit.
Seriously, he could not hit a fucking thing.....2 boxes of shells, not 1 hit.
We sat his lame shooting ass down and had to teach that shithead how to shoot when it's not on a stage in front of a crowd.

No joke, every word true.
On this video you can watch him empty his gun on a quail flyby and this is after we had our little talk to him about how to do it.

And just like that my urge to find an old 52C and put an Unertl on it is back.

View attachment 7876519View attachment 7876518View attachment 7876517View attachment 7876516View attachment 7876512
My rifles are not 250 each. My ammo is Win Super Match, Eley Match or Tenex.
Nice collection!

Nice collection!
Thank you.
I do not consider it a collection just my hunting rifles. Collection to me sounds like unused items. These rifles are shot. The ones that are not used are sold. I once had about 40 52C rifles. I shot and tested them for years. Selected the most accurate and passed the rest on. Only a few were not darn accurate and a very few really stood out. They are pictured.

Let me know if I can help. I have scopes, blocks, sights and can often locate the rifles. I do not presently have any rifles for sale.

Thank you for the generous offer but unfortunately my gun money for the year was spent hunting a bison with my Sharps so the urge to buy one is the best I can do for the time being.

The stocks on some of yours are really nice, who did the stock work for them?

Reactions: TurboTrout