• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting threaded barrel w/o brake, naked

svxwilson

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Montana
    I have a brand new rifle (6.5 Grendel) that is threaded and I have my JP compensator on its way, would it damage it to shoot it with nothing on the threads? It's a bull bartlein bull barrel .925".
    Had a shit week and am aborting my water skiing trip cuz my brand new engine is leaking oil from the bell housing (most likely main seal). :mad::mad::mad:
    So I am going to the range, spent a lot on this gun and waited 6 months. Don't want to do anything stupid to it. I know this may be a dumb ? But I had to ask......:confused:

Last edited:
    +1 on the above...fire away, but do take care to ensure that you don't do anything that could damage the threads.

No, but I will be extra careful with the threaded end, I realize it would be easy to damage that. Am referring to the long term integrity of the barrel.

you would be more careful if you buy some rubber end protection used to be putted under the chair legs_ they are available in more diameters_
    put a proper sized hole on the blind side, and screw it on you barrel, until you find something better _

I'd just order a thread protector from "bugholes" FYI it's always nice to spend the xtra $ to get your smith to make a cap for ya. Everything I own is threaded and in every caliber that's center fire. I have probably a dozen brakes in both 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 to play with, and see which work's the best, but when hunting (except varmint) I shoot capped.
    Like stated wrap whatever around the threads and go shoot, you don't want anything to happen to those threads.