• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Advanced Marksmanship Shooting to 1000 yards in Arizona

SpinzX2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
Arizona
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this topic, but I am a shooter in Arizona and am wondering if anyone knows where in AZ you can shoot to 1000. Ben Avery has a 1000 yard range but it can only be utilized by user groups. I am curious where any individuals go OR if there are any user groups that use Ben Avery's 1000 range and let others join.

Im interested in hearing what you all have to say.

Re: Shooting to 1000 yards in Arizona

I believe Desert Sharpshooters is the group your refering to. Dont have any info though

You can just map out some BLM land and set up your own ranges.
But some steel and have at it.

yeah you guys out in the desert have it easy, find a spot and set up.

grab a cheap wind up 300m tape from harbor tool and get to walking
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b0xcrash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah you guys out in the desert have it easy, find a spot and set up.

grab a cheap wind up 300m tape from harbor tool and get to walking
smile.gif
</div></div>
You would be so surprised on how easy it is....

All the 'perfect locations' that are flat seem to be state trust land and all the BLM land is hilly and mountainous, so there isn't clear views for long range. Now if you want to drive 1.5-2 hours outside of the city, or you live in the outer less populated cities, sure you will find a place to shoot pretty easily.

Atleast this is what my experience has been. For my location I go to, I have to walk down a path for 20 minutes and then hike for another 30 min up a mountain to get to it. All with my gear.

I'm in the heart of phoenix and am fairly new to long range shooting. I have no clue where to go!

I've heard that there are some great areas in Prescott and East Mesa but I'm curious if anyone on here knows any good spots to go to. I'm realizing its going to be a long drive for me to find somewhere suitable

Reactions: CageFighter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can just map out some BLM land and set up your own ranges.
But some steel and have at it. </div></div>

This is what I used to do for the year I was in Tucson. Just be careful to pay attention to the fire warning signs that are posted. They are not very big but they are marked at the entrances to BLM land. If there is a fire warning day, you aren't allowed to drive your vehicle onto the property but you are welcome to hike out to your favorite spot. At least that's what the highway patrolman who told me to leave said... this was just before 9/11 so things may have changed today.

We used to go somewhere between Phoenix and Tucson just north of Oracle I think.

I was talking to the range master at the Sierra Vista range the other day and he said they were trying to build a 1000 yard range there that should be open to members and public. Hoping hey do that cause of now it only goes to 600.

If you ever get down this way Id be glad to shoot with you though

google maps...

seriously...I found a place up just south of Happy Jack that APPEARS to have a FLAT OPEN 1000 yard area. I dont want to post the coordinates until im able to get up there and verify the validity of it. Im in N.Phx 101/I-17 intersection. We typically go out to Table Mesa or south to Casa Grande/Picacho as the RO's at Ben Avery have become nazi's...

Come out and train with us. We have targets out past 1000y and hold courses every month. We have a 5 day Precision Rifle Fighter May 18-22nd. We are in N. Peoria. Thanks.

Although there is a lot of open ground around Phoenix, most of it is not suitable for longrange shooting. BLM has posted a bunch of "No Shooting" signs on its property because it has fielded a lot of complaints from the public wanting to use it, but feelin unsafe with all the gunfire. I tend to use the Dugas Ranch area off I-17 during the cooler winter months. here is a link to another site containing directions.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f45/where-shoot-az-68833/

During the warmer summer months, I head east from Camp Verde on 260. I shoot north of there where the power lines cross the road just before you climb into the trees.

think north tonopah, 355 ave north to wickenburg rd, then hike up a wast towards the mountains east of the roadway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For my location I go to, I have to walk down a path for 20 minutes and then hike for another 30 min up a mountain to get to it. All with my gear.</div></div>

Huge +1 This is the only way I truly have an awesome time. I feel like I earn it when I ruck my stuff out to a spot unavailable to those not willing to work for it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PureKustomInc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tucson has 1000 yd http://www.tucsonrifleclub.org/
</div></div>

Any TRC member can reserve it unless it's already booked. If it's open I haven't had any trouble just checking in, let RO know what I want to shoot, and going up there. Steel to 600 is always available