• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting Tripods? Which One? Need Advice.

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Pig 0311 is inexpensive. Then there are the imported ones with the 100mm bowl and CF legs. 0311 is rated for 26lbs., some other high end ones are rated for 88lbs. I'd like to be able to fire a DTA HTI in .50BMG from it but it'll mostly be AR's and 7.62 rifles. I'd like to be able to do it standing or sitting, it not be TOO heavy since I typically have to hike it in some but I don't wanna pay a fortune.

I think I'd like a bowl. But what mount? ARCA? Picatinny? What's the difference in one over the other?

I send Doug a PM and got a recommendation from him for around, oh, $400 all said and done I'm guessing (based on the listed prices, if I called to actually order it I'm sure it'd go down some?). That's a CF tripod w/bowl and handle and detachable ARCA/picatinny rail.

I don't compete. So this is purely a field setup and needs to be rugged and can't have shit falling off of it or weigh a ton. Need to be able to use sitting or standing.

Look at the Leofoto 364c, or something in the Feisol line. To get started many of these are packaged with ARCA Swiss ball heads. The RRS Anvil head is great but it ain’t cheap but like everything else from RRS you get what you pay for. You do not want something with a center stem. And 54” should be roughly the minimum height.

$400 to handle a 50BMG? You're joking right?

Buy an RRS with an Anvil 30.

Buy once cry once. Nothing compares
    The weight capacity on my Leofoto 364C is 77 lbs, I run an RRS Anvil on it rated at 35lbs, It's a very nice tripod at 1/2 the price of the RRS. Sometime you don't have to squeeze blood from a stone. :)

Jeff

The weight capacity on my Leofoto 364C is 77 lbs, I run an RRS Anvil on it rated at 35lbs, It's a very nice tripod at 1/2 the price of the RRS. Sometime you don't have to squeeze blood from a stone. :)

Jeff
    I'll spend money on a real company. not supporting scumbags

Colorado Tripod company has been working on a designated shooting tripod and ball head for a little while now. Should be coming out soon. $1k for the combo.

I want a tripod but I’m doing my best to not give money to China, so I’ll save up for a nice American made product.

@Redfisher60 just an FYI, that Anvil capacity is actually in Ft/lbs of torque. So the actual weight rating is actually higher if comparing (apples to apples) to the tripod weight rating not being in torque value.

Reactions: E-Tool
    I'll spend money on a real company. not supporting scumbags

Understand and respect your position.

Went with the RRS TFC-34L myself.

Zero complaints.

If starting off with a new system, get setup with the ARCA/RRS/1.5'' dovetail. I find it to be fantastic compared to the picatinny standard. Tons of high quality/lightweight clamps etc due to the photography influence.

Just spend the money on the Anvil 30. It's just awesome. Will work with both ARCA and Picatinny btw. Nothing to change over or out either. I use both. But first you need to figure out what bipod you're gonna get.

RRS. All the money but no complaints and 100% American made.

I have and use the Innorel RT90C. It is STOUT but a bit heavy at 6lbs without the Anvil 30, which is kinda heavy itself. There's a lighter version, RT80C. Cheaper and lighter. Stable but not RT90C stable. You'll want an adapter plate from a member here for the 90. Don't think it fits the 80. You don't have to use one but it's worth the $80ish bucks for sure. ¼ the price of a "comparable" RRS tripod. Not sure how comparable they are but going by the specs, that's the cost difference.

RRS. Had a Velbon, way back in 2001 when "cheaters" weren't that common, and any old tripod was better than nothing.

I've also had the PIG0311, Fiesol 3372 to name a few....this item (a shooting tripod) is one of those rare things that, you really do only get what you pay for.

JMHO, but skip to the end on this one, and just get an RRS of some sort.

I have a Leofoto 404C, and it is an absolute tank. That being said, the RRS Anvil 30 is the best head out there. I would generally agree with most of the people on this thread though that the RRS is the way to go, and you should buy once and cry once.

Well the one Doug sent me is for Field Optics Research and they make stuff specifically for shooting too. $789 they have one (not Cameraland, this was the FOR site) and it supports 115lbs. I think they have a bigger one (they do, $9xx, 145lbs).

But the one I'm looking at has 8 layer 32mm legs, 75mm bowl and holds 95lbs at ~55 inches (or 65 with the leg extensions). For ~$400 with some extras.

RRS looks nice for sure but I'm tapped enough that this one looks better right now. Unless I'm not getting something, if lighter stuff will work and this one is heavier then what am I missing?

It looks like a rifle with pic rails locks right into it.

http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/

Reactions: deersniper
    Colorado Tripod company has been working on a designated shooting tripod and ball head for a little while now. Should be coming out soon. $1k for the combo.

I want a tripod but I’m doing my best to not give money to China, so I’ll save up for a nice American made product.

This looks really cool. Do you know if there are any preliminary reviews on the prototypes? I like the idea of fairly local products.

With modern manufacturing techniques, I refused to get sucked down with pure marketing crap than too many fall for.

Here is one made in the US at half the other marketed fluff. Plus its a veteran company, unlike others.

My influence in making a dent in the balance of payments with foreign companies = 0
    Me buying good quality stuff at great prices and not paying in marketing inflated prices= $$$$

Pig 0311 is inexpensive. Then there are the imported ones with the 100mm bowl and CF legs. 0311 is rated for 26lbs., some other high end ones are rated for 88lbs. I'd like to be able to fire a DTA HTI in .50BMG from it but it'll mostly be AR's and 7.62 rifles. I'd like to be able to do it standing or sitting, it not be TOO heavy since I typically have to hike it in some but I don't wanna pay a fortune.

I think I'd like a bowl. But what mount? ARCA? Picatinny? What's the difference in one over the other?

I send Doug a PM and got a recommendation from him for around, oh, $400 all said and done I'm guessing (based on the listed prices, if I called to actually order it I'm sure it'd go down some?). That's a CF tripod w/bowl and handle and detachable ARCA/picatinny rail.

I don't compete. So this is purely a field setup and needs to be rugged and can't have shit falling off of it or weigh a ton. Need to be able to use sitting or standing.
    Get the RT90C +Anvil30+ Midwests adapter. There is a huge thread here explaining it. About $800 total but rock solid. You can always upgrade to a RRS tripod down the road if weight savings matter.

Its the cheapest setup you will not regret purchasing. A lot of us have done it and love it.

With modern manufacturing techniques, I refused to get sucked down with pure marketing crap than too many fall for.

Here is one made in the US at half the other marketed fluff. Plus its a veteran company, unlike others.

Not even close. Its same imported Chinese tripod everyone else is selling for hundreds less.

My influence in making a dent in the balance of payments with foreign companies = 0
    Me buying good quality stuff at great prices and not paying in marketing inflated prices= $$$$

They are made in China, even confirmed by the owner.

Reactions: whiskeytower

Hate to burst your bubble there bud but you got bamboozled. China-1 You-0

This looks really cool. Do you know if there are any preliminary reviews on the prototypes? I like the idea of fairly local products.

Reactions: cheyennewyo
    Here is the Field Optics Research 75mm bowl tripod, 95lb., 32mm 8 layer CF legs, 54" but 65 with extensions. $339 (good bit 14
    less through Doug). I think it was around $400 for this, a handle and a pic mount (they sell the same bundle for $519). All sorts of accessories including spikes and spreaders for the feet. It is made in USA too.

I ask again, why should I pay more for the RRS if this one is hitting all the numbers for less? I ask this not to bait you into an argument, I really wanna know. Or is the difference between RRS and FOR more along the lines of Korth and Smith/Wesson? Nicer but not necessarily better?

I looked at that Innorel 90. I think I'd rather invest in something Doug backs, that thing may be nice for a China pod but it eerily reminds me of the $20 walmart one I got to support a cheap chronograph. It was looking at that one that prompted me to reach out to Doug.

Now I don't doubt there are better mounts and I'd like to discuss those but for now that cheap pic mount will accommodate pretty much everything but that DTA HTI, and maybe even that too although I doubt it'd be ideal.

1591312434180.png

Attachments

• 1591312422304.png
      1591312422304.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 41
    Here is the Field Optics Research 75mm bowl tripod, 95lb., 32mm 8 layer CF legs, 54" but 65 with extensions. $339 (good bit 14
    less through Doug). I think it was around $400 for this, a handle and a pic mount (they sell the same bundle for $519). All sorts of accessories including spikes and spreaders for the feet. It is made in USA too.

I ask again, why should I pay more for the RRS if this one is hitting all the numbers for less? I ask this not to bait you into an argument, I really wanna know. Or is the difference between RRS and FOR more along the lines of Korth and Smith/Wesson? Nicer but not necessarily better?

I looked at that Innorel 90. I think I'd rather invest in something Doug backs, that thing may be nice for a China pod but it eerily reminds me of the $20 walmart one I got to support a cheap chronograph. It was looking at that one that prompted me to reach out to Doug.

Now I don't doubt there are better mounts and I'd like to discuss those but for now that cheap pic mount will accommodate pretty much everything but that DTA HTI, and maybe even that too although I doubt it'd be ideal.

View attachment 7343486

I’m not sure this model is a domestic product. The website identifies the pro32-mil as being Made in the USA. They do not mention the country of origin for the model you are referencing.

I’m not sure this model is a domestic product. The website identifies the pro32-mil as being Made in the USA. They do not mention the country of origin for the model you are referencing.

Good call, I can't find anything either but there isn't a spec sheet like that available for the smaller ones.

Even if that one isn't, it's still a solid piece and looks like a solid buy at $300 for the pod, not to mention supporting 95lbs.

Pretty sure this is the route I'm going, I just wanted to ask around first.

IF I break the motherfucker or it's just junk, I can always get the RRS, move this one over to spotter work and sell the Sirui. All is not lost.

Just spend the money on the Anvil 30. It's just awesome. Will work with both ARCA and Picatinny btw. Nothing to change over or out either. I use both. But first you need to figure out what bipod you're gonna get.

RRS. All the money but no complaints and 100% American made.

I have and use the Innorel RT90C. It is STOUT but a bit heavy at 6lbs without the Anvil 30, which is kinda heavy itself. There's a lighter version, RT80C. Cheaper and lighter. Stable but not RT90C stable. You'll want an adapter plate from a member here for the 90. Don't think it fits the 80. You don't have to use one but it's worth the $80ish bucks for sure. ¼ the price of a "comparable" RRS tripod. Not sure how comparable they are but going by the specs, that's the cost difference.
    I think @Jefe was quoting someone else but not clear.

1/4 the price? I just bought a 34L for $1200 including taxes and shipping, the Anvil30 directly attaches and was many have stated not close to comparable, weight, quality, made in the usa. You got your Chinese knockoff with plates and adapters for$300?

I purchased a BH-55 head ( DO NOT SKIMP ON THE HEAD) and a Hog Saddle tripod ONLY because i couldn't swing a RRS. Its an alright tripod but, its a pain in the ass to adjust the legs, dont like the rubber under the head and a couple other little things. But for 160 i knew what it was and for the dollars good deal. But it is not comparable to RRS. If you can afford the RRS set up, purchase and dont look back.

I think @Jefe was quoting someone else but not clear.

1/4 the price? I just bought a 34L for $1200 including taxes and shipping, the Anvil30 directly attaches and was many have stated not close to comparable, weight, quality, made in the usa. You got your Chinese knockoff with plates and adapters for$300?

I'm comparing apples to apples.

$1418
    TVC-44 Mk 2
    1. Number of Leg Sections: 4
    2. Load Capacity 1st Position Fully Extended: 90lbs / 41kg
    3. Load Capacity 2nd Position Fully Extended: 55lbs / 25kg
    4. Load Capacity 3rd Position Fully Collapsed: 70lbs / 32kg
    5. 1st Position Maximum Height: 75.3" / 191cm
    6. 1st Position Minimum Height: 23.9" / 61cm
    7. 1st Position 3/4 Segments Extended: 57.0" / 145cm
    8. 2nd Position Maximum Height: 65.0" / 165cm
    9. 2nd Position Minimum Height: 17.0" / 43cm
    10. 3rd Position Minimum Height: 7.2" / 18cm
    11. Folded Length: 26.0" / 66cm
    12. Folded Length (with stud): 26.3" / 67cm
    13. Folded Diameter: 6.9" / 17cm
    14. (Heights and Length exclude 0.313" / 8mm stud height)
    15. Weight: 6.36lbs / 2.89kg
    16. Video Bowl: 100mm (TA-4-VB, sold separately)

$317
    【ULTRA STABLE】(Ship via DHL or UPS, Received in 7-10 days) 40mm max leg tube diameter.and 29mmmin tube , even much more larger than most tripods.Carbon fiber imported from "TORAY" in Japan.Best materials are used in all parts,main parts all metal made and via CNC Anodic Oxidation technolog. Max Load 88pounds/40kg.
    • 【PROFESSIONAL DESIGN】Top-Level Heavy Duty Carbon Fiber Tripod with aluminum alloy hard anodizing mounting pan , oversized weight hook and set screw for a secure lockdown of your tripod head.RT90C is compatible with 75mm bowl or 100mm bowl.Other equipment can be directly attached to the tripod,such as video head and ball head ,etc.
    • 【PORTABLE&COMPACT】23inches(59cm) compact storage size and 6.3 lbs(2.8kg)weight,max height:63inches. Compact when folded and practical when extended,make it very suitable for outdoor, travel shooting.
    • 【EASY SET UP】 4-section column legs with quick release flip-locks tube angle adjustment buckle allows you to adjust the working height and angle.Equipped with interchangeable screw-in rubber feet and stainless steel spiked feet for increased stability.
    • 【GUARANTEE】There is RT90C tripod , high quality tripod bag,tripod case,75mm bowl,adjusting tolls and stainless steel spike in the package . Backed with 2-year warranty. Please contact us if you need more help.

1418/317=4.47

My bad, 4.5X the price. :geek:

And to add. I'm NOT knocking the RRS. If you got the money for one, I suggest getting one. But I don't see anyone stating the Innorel is junk, as you suggest.

$1418
    TVC-44 Mk 2

$317
    【ULTRA STABLE】(Ship via DHL or UPS, Received in 7-10 days) 40mm max leg tube diameter.and 29mmmin tube , even much more larger than most tripods.Carbon fiber imported from "TORAY" in Japan.Best materials are used in all parts,main parts all metal made and via CNC Anodic Oxidation technolog. Max Load 88pounds/40kg.
    • 【PROFESSIONAL DESIGN】Top-Level Heavy Duty Carbon Fiber Tripod with aluminum alloy hard anodizing mounting pan , oversized weight hook and set screw for a secure lockdown of your tripod head.RT90C is compatible with 75mm bowl or 100mm bowl.Other equipment can be directly attached to the tripod,such as video head and ball head ,etc.
    • 【PORTABLE&COMPACT】23inches(59cm) compact storage size and 6.3 lbs(2.8kg)weight,max height:63inches. Compact when folded and practical when extended,make it very suitable for outdoor, travel shooting.
    • 【EASY SET UP】 4-section column legs with quick release flip-locks tube angle adjustment buckle allows you to adjust the working height and angle.Equipped with interchangeable screw-in rubber feet and stainless steel spiked feet for increased stability.
    • 【GUARANTEE】There is RT90C tripod , high quality tripod bag,tripod case,75mm bowl,adjusting tolls and stainless steel spike in the package . Backed with 2-year warranty. Please contact us if you need more help.

1418/317=4.47

And to add. I'm NOT knocking the RRS. If you got the money for one, I suggest getting one. But I don't see anyone stating the Innorel is junk, as you suggest.

ive shotnoff that RT90C before and it’s wicked stable, but i can’t send money to China when I have choices
    Im waiting for the Rocky Mountain Tripod to hit the streets and people to get their hands on it, it’s that or a RRS for me, I’d rather my tripod money not be spent to build a missile that gets shot at me

Well, if it comes down to the Innorel or the RRS then I guess I'm gonna go with the Field Optics Research stuff. I trust Doug and the specs on that look on par with these others. The fact they focus on shooting helps.

So I just called FOR and they're not far from RRS in fact. Four miles? He had nothing bad to say about RRS but obviously has his own business and feels his are priced better (that's hard to argue against). The one I'm interested in IS made in China, but it was prototyped here and subbed out there because of cost of carbon fiber. I guess they could make it here but it wouldn't be cost efficient vs. those other ones? That's just my guess.

They do make their own here, two of 'em, started two years ago and they're monsters, the big one supports 145lbs. and both of 'em have locking leg hubs so probably the most stable, period, end of story on that respect. But they all seem suitable with respect to strength and stability, on paper, and I guess once you go over a certain point it's all overbuilt and only extra weight is gonna make a difference.

I guess I'm shocked that these aren't talked about more on here given what I've learned so far, yet the Innorel is? I wouldn't know about 'em either were it not for Doug.

Made in US, $7xx
    1591381906738.png

Made in US, $9xx:
    1591381956681.png

Made in China, $3xx, also the lightest option with greatest strength for having to carry into the sticks, and weight has already become a problem with gear:
    1591381998971.png

Now it's obvious the ones made in US are better but he said there's video of USMC firing a Barret from it and the front legs lift up a bit but the shooter wasn't managing recoil properly and it wasn't anchored or holding weight underneath. So it'll manage the BMG. It's not like that's what I'm getting it for, I just wanna be able to do that once in a while when I do get that thing out. I think for mainly 7.62 and semis that this will do me good. He said the bowl is smooth and can be made smoother with the addition of some graphite. Didn't try to sell me off on stuff, bullshit me or dog the competition and I appreciate that.

Those two made in US versions are super nice and seeing 'em side by side it shows... I wish I could swing it but I'm not so sure I could get my money's worth out of $7xx worth of tripod. And I can always sell it or the Sirui off and use it for the spotter setup.

Thanks everyone for the advice and information, it did help me come to a decision.

Good call, I can't find anything either but there isn't a spec sheet like that available for the smaller ones.

Even if that one isn't, it's still a solid piece and looks like a solid buy at $300 for the pod, not to mention supporting 95lbs.

Pretty sure this is the route I'm going, I just wanted to ask around first.

IF I break the motherfucker or it's just junk, I can always get the RRS, move this one over to spotter work and sell the Sirui. All is not lost.
    I bought the Field Optics Research Tripod because I didn't want to wait forever on the Innorel to come from China. I shot off the Field Optics Tripod yesterday and was very pleased with it

$1418
    TVC-44 Mk 2

$317

1418/317=4.47

Different apple the 34 matches up specs wise way better than the 44 which is a foot taller, and higher load capacity and no need for an adapter to mount a anvil 30 to the top.

This is your apple https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-34L-Mk2-TFC-34L-Mk2-Tripods_SOAR

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Thanks!

I bought the Field Optics Research Tripod because I didn't want to wait forever on the Innorel to come from China. I shot off the Field Optics Tripod yesterday and was very pleased with it

Thanks, how'd it do? Stability? Did it jump or lift up? What'd you shoot from it? I guess I'll take as much detail as you mind giving. Any bitches or little issues you'd rather been another way? Regrets?

Thanks, how'd it do? Stability? Did it jump or lift up? What'd you shoot from it? I guess I'll take as much detail as you mind giving. Any bitches or little issues you'd rather been another way? Regrets?
    I have a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor...with scope and other equipment I had on it it's about 16 pounds. Started out around 350 yards and had a good (roughly MOA to sub MOA 5 shot group...with cheap Sellier and Bellot ammo. I was shooting at a buddies farm off of uneven ground. When my fundamentals were right the tripod was pretty stable and I was able to see rounds hit the target through the scope. A few times I was right with gripping the tripod and I had a little bit of jump...nothing major. I was very pleased with it. In all fairness I've never shot off of a RRS tripod that is so popular around here...but for my purposes (fun at the farm, range, and hunting) the Field Optics is great.

I have a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor...with scope and other equipment I had on it it's about 16 pounds. Started out around 350 yards and had a good (roughly MOA to sub MOA 5 shot group...with cheap Sellier and Bellot ammo. I was shooting at a buddies farm off of uneven ground. When my fundamentals were right the tripod was pretty stable and I was able to see rounds hit the target through the scope. A few times I was right with gripping the tripod and I had a little bit of jump...nothing major. I was very pleased with it. In all fairness I've never shot off of a RRS tripod that is so popular around here...but for my purposes (fun at the farm, range, and hunting) the Field Optics is great.
    Also I only shot standing with the tripod, I didnt get an opportunity to shoot sitting or prone...hoping to do so soon. I am by no means a competition shooter so I was very pleased with no regrets for the money. I just can't justify $1k like some others can for a RRS.

Also I only shot standing with the tripod, I didnt get an opportunity to shoot sitting or prone...hoping to do so soon. I am by no means a competition shooter so I was very pleased with no regrets for the money. I just can't justify $1k like some others can for a RRS.

Same here, don't compete, there's other high end shit I'd rather get than the world's best tripod. Other than fucking around, only "real world" use it'll get is if we break out into civil war and I get to live out my dream as a local petty warlord and have to enforce taxing of my peons.

Only reason I need the tripod now is I'm getting too old and stiff to get comfortable in rough terrain in the prone, squatting or folded up like a pretzel. Last time out shooting sucked, and I've never said that ever. Like most issues, it's a gear related one, no? Or that's how we like to look at it.

Thanks for the info.

I love how people go into analysis paralysis based on something they have never laid hands on and discount dozens of users with proven experience trying to give good advice on a proven product. Can only lead a horse to water I guess.

Different apple the 34 matches up specs wise way better than the 44 which is a foot taller, and higher load capacity and no need for an adapter to mount a anvil 30 to the top.

This is your apple https:///TVC-34L-Mk2-TFC-34L-Mk2-Tripods_SOAR

I was comparing weight, tube diameter, sections, and apex type. I think the 2lbs., 90 vs. 88 is closer than the 80 for the 34. IMO, in use, my comparison is closer spec wise. The overall weight of the tripod makes a HUGE difference in stability. Overall weight is nearly identical for the 44 and Innorel.

I was comparing weight, tube diameter, sections, and apex type. I think the 2lbs., 90 vs. 88 is closer than the 80 for the 34. IMO, in use, my comparison is closer spec wise. The overall weight of the tripod makes a HUGE difference in stability. Overall weight is nearly identical for the 44 and Innorel.
    I still think the 34L is a better compare at the same deployed height would be stronger at less weight, right?

Not calling them crap at all but lots of pages claiming just as good, etc. Not you, you were very clear. I bought the Feisol for the same reasons, but didn't get locked into "same" for less that some do.

As best as I can tell the extra height comes from 3" extra for each leg. 3x4=12. You can see this in the approx. 3" extra length collapsed.

I've had the 34 in hand and it "feels" closer to the RT80C. The 90 is "beefier". I'm NOT saying the Innorel is better. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and claim the RRS is better. Just trying to relay my experience. I have NOT shot from the RRS 34. I'll ask the dude in my squad who runs the RRS 34 to try it out next time.

There is no industry standard for measuring max load weight. Pointless to compare ones from different companies.
    I would love to see an independent, stress testing, and tear down. Cross section of materials, breaking point, etc.

As best as I can tell the extra height comes from 3" extra for each leg. 3x4=12. You can see this in the approx. 3" extra length collapsed.

I've had the 34 in hand and it "feels" closer to the RT80C. The 90 is "beefier". I'm NOT saying the Innorel is better. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and claim the RRS is better. Just trying to relay my experience. I have NOT shot from the RRS 34. I'll ask the dude in my squad who runs the RRS 34 to try it out next time.
    I have a leofoto ln-404 and have used a red 34. Although the 404 is a tank and feels like it should be sturdier I would give the stability edge to the smaller rrs tripod

I love how people go into analysis paralysis based on something they have never laid hands on and discount dozens of users with proven experience trying to give good advice on a proven product. Can only lead a horse to water I guess.

I gotta choose my battles. I bet I have some high speed shit where you have junk and we both justify it for the same reasons. I got guys in the reloading section telling me I "gotta have" an analytical balance, my RCBS just won't do. But I'm not benchrest or Fclass like some of them, and I'm not PRS like some of you.

I'm not trying to find the best tripod in the world, I'm trying to find the best shooting tripod for the money. As far as "being led to water" well, that's what Doug did too I thought. And all these guys that swear by Innorel, Feisol, etc. I'm not a PRS competitor. I'm a former SDM instructor trying to relive the glory days shooting mostly precision semi autos at long range in rough terrain.

I appreciate the recommendations for the RRS. Nobody has anything but good to say about it. If I had unlimited funds it'd be in the running with the other nice US made $1000 tripods I found, which are few and fairly new. But for $300 it seems to come down to FOR, Innorel or some other no-name Chinese import of dubious quality. In that case I'm gonna have to go with the FOR.

I wish I could get the $700 model but I'm gonna have to live with the $300 one. That one will get me out there faster and also leave some for other projects in the works. It's also the lightest one that can do all this, regardless of mfg. it seems. I wish it had the locking leg hubs but I think the US made FOR pods are the only ones that do that.

Reactions: lou400a