• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SHopping for a 50 BMG rifle. Accuracy expectations for different makes?

dukelog

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Barrett is the biggest name out there in the 50 BMG market, but before I buy a rifle, I want to seek feedback on who makes accurate rifles. I am sure MacBros makes a bad ass rifle, but I am not looking at that price point. So in the price point I am looking for, there's the Barret M99 and M95, the Steyr HS-50, the Bushmaster, and the Armalite. I like the Armalite the least due to it's size and being only a single shot. The M99 comes in second from last because it's a single shot too.

But the real question is the expectation of accuracy from the different makers. I'll be loading my own ammo so I can tailor a load I like, but I don't want to spend several thousand for a rifle with a 2 MOA reputation.

What do y'all think?

Reactions: aljones_315
Hi,

Well 50s are no different than any other rifle really, so....

What are your desires for the rifle in regards to types of usage?
What are your desires for the rifle in regards to its' accuracy?
What are your desires for the type of projectile(s) you intend to load for?

Sincerely,
Theis

50 BMG is not a modern or inherently accurate cartridge, which works against you. The high recoil is going to show any imperfections in your setup and marksmanship, more than other cartridges. For proof of this just look at winning group sizes in 50 BMG benchrest competition compared to F class or conventional long range benchrest.

In general, semi automatic designs are going to be less accurate than bolt, and single shot actions may be a little stiffer and have more accuracy potential than repeaters. My 50 was custom built on a BAT EX action, and I don't have personal experience with the factory offerings. However, many have said the Barrett M99 and AR-50 are capable of good accuracy with a little tuning and hand loads. I wouldn't expect much from the M-95 or the Bushmaster, but again that's second hand.

I agree with @THEIS. It depends on what you want. If you look at FCSA competition results, you will mostly see groups larger than 1 MOA, and that's in a group with a lot of custom guns, hand loading, often lathe turned solid projectiles. I think the world record group is somewhere around 4-5 inches at 1000 yards, compared to the ~1 inch groups you can see in thousand yard benchrest with cartridges like 6 BRA.

From way back when I bought my m99.
I read that the m99 was designed to be a 1moa gun, the m95 was 1.5moa, and m82 was 2moa. Could be BS, idk, i don't remember the source.

I have a Robar, M95 and M82a1. Probably accuracy in that order. Unfortunately I don't have a can for them, so for the most part, they sit. You should consider an Accuracy Intl .50, or (new direction) a suppressed .338LM or similar.

I have been out of the big bores for a few years. But have all them listed at one point in time. The hs styer is the most accurate out of box Of production 50bmgs good barrel and trigger. Also If you can find the Cobb ba50 ( bushmaster bought them out) they shoot very well because they had lothar Walther barrel and are a true bolt action with 10 round box mag.

the most accurate 50 I ever had was a rws gunSmithing built gun that was chambered to match Hornady amax factory ammo. If I wanted a a real shooter I would go that route.

I have heard some guys have rebarreled armalites and Barrett’s with good results and still cheaper than a full custom but never actually seen it so.... don’t know if that is true

Thanks, everyone. I will be plinking really, but I don't want to be all over the paper if I am doing my part in the shooting. My thinking is I don't want to spend, say $3000 for a rifle with a poor reputation for accuracy when $4000 would buy a much better rifle. I mean, at a certain point, it makes sense to lay out the extra cash and buy a superior product. I just don't want to spend extra on a name without the performance behind it. I want to look into the Steyr more closely.

I was in the same boat as you and bought a Cadex Tremor. I don’t have it yet, but I’ve heard they are extremely accurate with AMAX. It might be a few weeks until I can give you a report though.

Reactions: MACHTECH
I just picked mine up on Friday. I'm re-barreling it to 416 Barrett Match though. I believe that the barrel that comes with them are from Bartlein.
IMG_20200517_171934966.jpg

I’ve had a Barret M99 and 82A1 CQ along with a Steyr HS50 M1. Now have a new never removed from its case 107A1 military configuration kit. The Steyr is a nice weapon and pretty accurate. But as the others have said the strength of the big 50BMG round is the ability to shoot ball, AP, API, APIT, tracers, marking rounds and even high explosive Raufoss rounds. It’s made to fuck shit up and will certainly do it with the right ammo. The weight and concussion from the blast are the downsides. That being said every man should own a 50!!

Last edited:
If you are going to be handloading and using good components I would think that just about any of the bolt action guns will do what you want and possible the autos as well. The 95 and BA50 are both decent repeaters it would just depend on what style gun you are looking for and I think the BA50 is a bit heavier. The 99 in my opinion is one of the best all around guns out there. Good size reasonably accurate and built like a tank. Everybody wants a repeater but I find the 99 is more than fast enough if that is my goal and if you really want to go fast get an auto.