• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Customs .284 Build - Beautiful!!

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Just thought I would share my new Short Action Customs .284 Win. First let me say that working with Mark has been outstanding and I am a hard person to deal with because I get impatient. Now on to the fun stuff.

My understanding is that the first ever Short Action Customs signature action to leave his shop. Mark put some real thought into what he wanted in his signature action. Some of you may not notice some of the details like the target ejection port, blind rear tang hole, and blind hole on the bolt release as well.

Specs.
Short Action Customs Aplha 11 LA with 30 MOA base
Bartlein MTU 7mm 1-9" finished at 27" from recoil lug
Threaded muzzle
Custom thread protector
Manners Long Action MCS-T5A
Manners Long Action Mini-Chassis
Atlas v8 Lever Bipod
Timney 510U Trigger
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR2 Scope
American Rifle Company 35mm M4 rings

RightSide.jpg

RightSidecloseup.jpg

Notice the extra effort put into painting the shroud and firing pin assembly offset colors. (Notice the blind rear tang hole)
Rear.jpg

Mag release and bolts are also offset colors
Bottom.jpg

Same with bolt release. (Notice the blind hole)
LeftSide.jpg

I did some load development for it already and during the ladder test at 300 it dumped 3 rounds in a .6 inch group.
After moving to 100 for more dev, it was shooing .6 inch groups with all loads! The load I went with was shooting in the .3-.4's easily without subtracting bullet diameter.

Here is a quick target from the initial load dev session. All groups are 3 shot and each group is a different powder charge. (Thanks Francis for the Calculated group size)
284InitialLoadDevelopment.jpg

In addition to the .284, I picked up a few other things while I was there.
Components
200 Pieces Lapua Brass
600 180Grain 7mm Berger VLD bullets
8lb 4831SC powder
Redding .284 Type S Match Bushing Full Die Set
Redding Model 2400 Match Precision Case Trimming Lathe
Vortex PST FFP 6-24 mil/mil - For another rifle
American Rifle Company 30mm rings for the PST

Components.jpg

Overall I cant thank Mark enough for the work he put into this rifle. It really is a thing of beauty.
Oh and the stock is OD and the barreled action is Patriot Brown.

You have no idea the amount of work Mark put into the custom fitting on the stock to make it look amazing. He really takes it to the next level. Hopefully he will come in here and post some of the stock pictures before and after as well as give more specs on his action.
Sorry for the crappy pics as they were from my cell phone. Ill try and get some better pics later in the week.

Re: Short Action Customs .284 Build - Beautiful!!

that is sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jealousy is an understatement... that's a gorgeous rifle! </div></div>

What he said
wink.gif

You could at least put a sexy picture on there...haha

Here is my personal rifle. I'm waiting for higher rings so the PVS-22 matches up a little better even though there is a clear sight picture.

Here are the specs.

Short Action Customs "Alpha 11" long action.
<span style="color: #CC0000">Patent Pending "Lower Bolt Clearance" modification,a Short Action Customs First.</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">Blind Rear Tang</span>
Full round receiver
Extended front tennon for increased bedding support
Target ejection port
(6) 8/40 double pinned 30 MOA base
<span style="color: #CC0000">(First Defiance Ever) blind side bolt release</span>
Super smooth extraction
M16 Extractor
Threaded muzzle
Custom thread protector
Timney 510 U trigger set at 1.5 lbs.
Manners MCS-T5A
Custom inletted barrel channel, ejection port and bedded rear tang area.
Badger EFR installed, opened up to fit MTU contour
Atlas V8 bipod with BT-17
Tab Sling
Thunder Beast Arms Supprssor...30P-1
American Rifle Company 35mm rings, Medium
Vortex Razor HD 5-20-50 EBR-2B
Patriot Brown metal with black accents
OD Stock

Alpha11.jpg

The manners t-5 stock is starting to grow on me. Great build!

God, Aaron cant do anything original can he? Now hes copying your personal stuff Mark!

Great looking set of rifles there, I like Marks better though.

Im most jealous though of how Mark ordered that pst in February and got it before mine that was ordered in November! grrrrr

Have to say thanks for the M3 rings and the Atlas Mark, hopefully Ill see ya at TVP this year, going to need my 338 to come in though to compete with you guys now.

Yeah I definitely need to get some better pics. And Jon, Mark already said it but yes these were spec'd out to be identical with some subtle differences for testing and data gathering purposes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I definitely need to get some better pics. And Jon, Mark already said it but yes these were spec'd out to be identical with some subtle differences for testing and data gathering purposes. </div></div>

Looking good other than the crappy pics, better hit up the wife and tell her you need a camera since she won't let you go Prairie Dog Hunting with the boys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aaron, Looks awesome man cant wait to see it up close!
</div></div>

Talk about timing.. I just sent pics to your phone.
smile.gif

How do you guys like the ARC rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you guys like the ARC rings? </div></div>

Best rings ever!. Super light, engineered so you cant damage the scope, and grip like a tank with just finger tight screws. I have a few sets now and wont put anything else on an expensive scope.

Can you tell us more about the action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Belisarius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short Action Customs Aplha 11 LA with 30 MOA base

Can you tell us more about the action? </div></div>

Short Action Customs "Alpha 11" long action.
Patent Pending "Lower Bolt Clearance" modification (optional ),a Short Action Customs First.
Blind Rear Tang
Full round receiver
Extended front tennon for increased bedding support
Target ejection port
(6) 8/40 double pinned 30 MOA base
(First Defiance Ever) blind side bolt release
M16 Extractor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aaron, Looks awesome man cant wait to see it up close!
</div></div>

Talk about timing.. I just sent pics to your phone.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yea I thought that was pretty quick. Just after I posted I got off here and then I got your text.
grin.gif
Sound like it shoots decent..lol

That's one awesome rifle! If I were building a .284W, it would be set up damn near identically.

Lots of detail put into that stick. Very nice rifle and nice shooting too.

Here are a few pictures of my rifle that I built along with FlounderV2's.

Same specs but with my Patent Pending "Lower Bolt Clearance" modification and the Badger EFR installed.

Note the blind side bolt release and blind rear tang.

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

The rear tang of the action area of the stock was built up to fit much cleaner and look the way a custom built rifle should. Also, the ejection port area was built up and fit. Next batch of stocks will have the ejection port fitted all in the shop with no inlet from Manners. This way we can control the fit and finish a little easier.

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Mark I am calling you, I need a 284 custom
smile.gif

Congrats on a F---in killer set up. Mark does some super nice work for sure. Hope to see you up at Tom,s place someday.

Looks great Aaron! I remember us talking about these actions at Shot. Very cool!

This is killing me. I have a 308 build in progress w sac and just ordered Marks custom action. I cant wait. Those are some great looking rifles. These pictures are a huge tease for me.........Mark I may want to add those rings for my USO too.

Tag for two nice rifles in an awesome caliber. The straight .284 is definitely on my "to do" list.

Superb job on the builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Aaron, how'd you get a 35mm scope to fit in 34mm rings?
smile.gif
</div></div>

I think hed be more used to fitting a 1" tube in 35mm rings

Im really not even sure what bohem and jon are talking about. At least they are entertaining themselves. My neighbors dog does the same thing by chasing its tail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im really not even sure what bohem and jon are talking about. At least they are entertaining themselves. My neighbors dog does the same thing by chasing its tail. </div></div>

See below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Specs.
Threaded muzzle
Custom thread protector
Manners Long Action MCS-T5A
Manners Long Action Mini-Chassis
Atlas v8 Lever Bipod
Timney 510U Trigger
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 EBR2 Scope
<span style="font-weight: bold">American Rifle Company <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">34mm</span></span></span> M4 rings</span>
</div></div>

Yep.... chasing my tail right?

Mine was purely making fun of hipp for having a small dong haha, I didnt even notice that

I saw this rifle the other day in the flesh, and it is very badass. Can't wait to shoot it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yep.... chasing my tail right? </div></div>

Gotcha.. was typing fast and screwed up. I still dislike you.
smile.gif

That is a smoking hot rifle! How much does that complete system weigh (with scope, rail and rings)?

Don't know the exact weight, but that thing is really heavy. It has a 27" MTU contour barrel

I have an almost identically configured rifle, it's a bit over 18lb with the Razor, rings, T5/A, 27" MTU, UGSW 911 Long action and Atlas on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a smoking hot rifle! How much does that complete system weigh (with scope, rail and rings)? </div></div>

I use it to work out with if that says anything.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an almost identically configured rifle, it's a bit over 18lb with the Razor, rings, T5/A, 27" MTU, UGSW 911 Long action and Atlas on it.
</div></div>

What does yours weight with a KAC PVS-22?? Oh wait.............hahahahaha

Mark

Mark, whats the turn around time right now on a rig like that, minus the PVS? I'm in need of a Straight .284... BAD!!

Special Delivery,

Its going to be around a 6 month wait for a complete rifle at this point. Actions are backed up along with all other components and I'm working as hard as I can for you guys.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an almost identically configured rifle, it's a bit over 18lb with the Razor, rings, T5/A, 27" MTU, UGSW 911 Long action and Atlas on it.
</div></div>

What does yours weight with a KAC PVS-22?? Oh wait.............hahahahaha

Mark </div></div>

This is what I think of your KAC PVS-22

(Can I borrow it?)