• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Short Action Customs: Bolt Knob Conversions...pics

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Hello Gents, just sharing some pictures and spreading some info on the Tactical Bolt Knob conversions I'm doing here. Currently we're doing mostly Remington and Winchester/FN bolt knobs. Savage and other makes are in the works right now, but should be done in a few days.

Both Remington and Winchester/FN's have 5/16 x 24 shafts in order to use most bolt knobs out there. Winchester's and FN's have hard enough metal to just turn down the knob into the threaded shaft. The Remingtons that were doing have the same dimensions and same technique, but have a re-enforcement installed through the center of the handle to help prevent breakage. All work is warranted for life.

No refinishing of the bolt is required, but can be done if desired.

Remington, Winchester and FN Bolt Knob Conversions are $80. That price includes performing the conversion, supplying a Badger Ord. bolt knob and insured shipping back to you. You can supply your own bolt knob and the price is $60. On the day of arrival of your bolt, the work is performed and boxed up and back in the mail same day or first thing next morning.

Short Action Custom's own bolt knobs will be out soon. They are CNC machined, sand blasted and hard anodized flat black. Pictures coming soon.

Here are some pictures!

Winchester and FN bolt knob conversions are almost seamless. The original contour of the knob flows into the Badger and other bolt knobs really well. This particular conversion is perfect. Not even your finger nail can tell where the old knob ends and the new one begins. I did this conversion this morning on a Winchester M70 for a customer.

IMG00013-20091103-0943.jpg

IMG00014-20091103-0943.jpg

IMG00017-20091103-0945.jpg

IMG00018-20091103-0945.jpg

Here is another conversion, this one is for a FN PBR XP, same results were achieved.

DSC04536.jpg

DSC03555.jpg

Here are some Remington's and some other misc pictures.

IMG00012-20091103-0943.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

Stock038-1.jpg

BoltKnob3.jpg

Re: Short Action Customs: Bolt Knob Conversions...pics

They look great, I am sending you a FNH SPR bolt for an badger knob install in a few minutes.

As soon as I recieve the rifle I've purchased I'm sending you 2 to do...per the PM last week.

great looking work , looks like it grew their.

What about poor old AZ Precision, he's been a big contributor on this forum. Try not to forget the old dog for the hard road. AZ puts a good old effort in here. Lets not forget him now.

Trust me, nobody will forget about Keith at AZ Precision. He does very clean and professional work and is not going anywhere. I don't know how much longer he has at Yavapai Gunsmith School, but I'm sure his career is just starting.

Friendly competition just raises the bar and in turn is best for the customer as well as makes competitors put out the best possible product. Nobody is or will be replaced, there are just more options now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trust me, nobody will forget about Keith at AZ Precision. He does very clean and professional work and is not going anywhere. I don't know how much longer he has at Yavapai Gunsmith School, but I'm sure his career is just starting.

Friendly competition just raises the bar and in turn is best for the customer as well as makes competitors put out the best possible product. Nobody is or will be replaced, there are just more options now. </div></div>

Said very well.

US Handgunner does great work and I will be sending some FN and Winchester work to him because I only do Remingtons and Savages.

Anybody know what bolt know is going on the 2009 snipers hide rifle. The integration of a half in bolt driver is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know what bolt know is going on the 2009 snipers hide rifle. The integration of a half in bolt driver is awesome. </div></div>

No, who can I get a hold of to see what that is about. I'm coming out with a similar idea and don't want to step on any toes.

Keep up the good work, I'll have to send you my Remmy after hunting season!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know what bolt know is going on the 2009 snipers hide rifle. The integration of a half in bolt driver is awesome. </div></div>

No, who can I get a hold of to see what that is about. I'm coming out with a similar idea and don't want to step on any toes. </div></div>

I believe I'm doing some work for the guys/company making those knobs. He wouldnt tell me too much about them, nor would he agree to send me one when he sends me the bolts to threaded.
All I remember him saying is that it rachets, and something about a scope tool. Maybe a hex head opening in the rear of the knob to fit on a scope base nut??
Hell it might not even be the same company/guys. I'm sure several people will be making knob "tools" soon. Hell I might
smile.gif

Its the action for the Snipers Hide Build 2009, but its not a rachet per say, its more like a big ass torx bit driver. The name of the company escapes me right now, but its a solid action. US id definitely PM LiteTac and see if he has a patent on it or not

Pretty sure it is Precision Shooting Sports and you can see the whole action in action on the video that lowlight did for the Vortex Razor in the optics discussion forum.

I recieved my bolt back from US Handgunner today.All I can say is WOW! He did a very good job on the Badger knob install. Just kike he states, the transition is absolutely perfect between the knob and bolt handle.

Thank you Mark for the professional service and quick turn around. I will highly reccomend you to others.

Here are a couple of pics I took of his work.

BadgerKnobInstall.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

Wow, that is an awesome camera. I guess I should quit using the Blackberry and just bit the bullet and get a good quality digital 10 Mega Pixel or so.

Thanks again Charlie, your rifle looks great!!!

M.45, I do just about any barrel work....besides fluting.

Chambering, re-cutting the chamber, custom AR-15 barrels from blanks, threading muzzle, crowning...ect.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

I'll be sending my Remmy 700 Bolt out to you tomorrow.

I want a new bolt knob design... the Badger is good, I use them across the board, but it's time for something new.

Hmm, smaller, round at the end, with a notch under and groove forward, maybe.

...and a built-in torque wrench.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StrikeHold</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and a built-in torque wrench. </div></div>

For the torx screws or for the ring mount hardware?

Do you do any bolt fluting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you do any bolt fluting? </div></div>

Not at this time, I would love to do it in the future.

That would be sweet. One stop shopping!

Re: Short Action Customs: Bolt Knob Conversions...

Do you do howa 1500 bolt mods/ recrowning and action trueing?
Thanks

Knifecoop,

I have not done a Howa yet, but I'm sure it can be done. I do all kinds of barrel work, to include shortening and recrowning as well as action truing. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I would like to se some better remington 700 pics. How is the transition there?

Reewik,

Here are a few pictures of some bolts that I did this weekend for some customers here on the Hide. Obviously the Remington handle is not round like the Winchester or FN, so all sides can not flow into the knob like the Winchesters/FN's do, but I do my best.

Once I have everything indicated in on my Lathe in my fixture, I start cutting the old knob off. Once the old knob is down to the correct dimensions, I thread the knob for 5/16 x 24. I like this thread because if the customer ever whats to try a different knob on, they will always have that option. I do not glue the knob on unless the customer requests that. I dont need to because I have a good shoulder for the knob to butt against.

Once all the cuts are made, I drill out the center of the handle, and tap it for 10/32. I then clean out the threads, degrease them and fill the hole with Loc-Tite 271 and insert a hardened Steel 10/32 screw. While this is a messy job and there is Loc-Tite all over, this screw is anywhere from 1"- 1 1/4" long. I then face off the end and let the Loc-Tite take over from there. It makes the typical install much stronger because were not just using the factory Remington handle. We use that plus a hardened steel stud inserted past the handle/bolt knob shoulder.

So after all is said in done, the transition is clean, the standard knob threads (5/16 x 24) threads can be used and the handle is now much stronger than it use to be.

Here are some pictures.

DSC04573.jpg

DSC04574.jpg

DSC04575.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

DSC04577.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wahoo95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be sending my Remmy 700 Bolt out to you tomorrow. </div></div>

I received my Bolt back from Mark today.....super fast turn around and excellent work!!!! Thanks again Mark!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here are some Remington's and some other misc pictures.

IMG00012-20091103-0943.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

Stock038-1.jpg

BoltKnob3.jpg

</div></div>

Beautiful work. I've got a Rem 700P action and barrel in an AICS stock like the one shown in your pics...the bolt head is so small and my monkey mits are somewhat large. Large enough interfer with the scope...there's no actual contact of the bolt handle to the scope but the clearance is too tight for my paws.
I'm assuming that your addition of the Badger Knob solves this issue-due to its longer length correct?
I'm sure I can get used to the stock Rem setup it but I'll be sending you my bolt anyway!
Cheers,
PDXGS

PDXGS,

Here are a few pictures of a customers rifle that I just worked on. I shortened the barrel and did a Tactical Bolt knob conversion. He had a beefy IOR scope, check out the clearance between the scope and knob. The first knob is one of my prototypes, the second is a Badger.

DSC04648.jpg

DSC04658.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04646.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04647.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

That looks great Mark. I'm hoping it shows up this afternoon.

I'll be having Mark Chamber and barrel for my Badger M2008, it gonna be SWEET!!! I WILL post pics

I just got mine back from Mark and everything looks great. He did a bolt knob and cut the barrel to 19".
DSCN0711.jpg

DSCN0717.jpg

He even sent me a note back on the box, how sweet.
DSCN0676.jpg

Thanks, I feel special now. That other note was from a girl I used to date, for some reason she would go around and tag everything with her initials. I can't tell you how many things I have with those damn initials on it. The trigger feels great though, a lot more crisp and has a nice break.

Yeah, girls try to "mark their territory" so you always see signs of them around. We both know how well that worked out for her...haha

Haha, yea she's no longer spreading her grafitti around here.