• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short barrel on a .284 Win?

HonkeyMcGee88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
TX, USA
So I have am pretty much settled on a .284 Win as my next rifle to build and was wandering about how short I could go on barrel length. This won't be a competition rifle so I am not looking to put a barrel 24" or longer on it. This rifle will be a light weight hunting rifle, but I would still like to be able to easily reach 1000yrds with it for when I have chances to shoot that far. I plan on shooting 180gr bullets and will be using a long action. My question is what kind of velocities could I expect from a barrel of 20" or less.

I was already considering a 16" .308 so I am not worried about loosing a little performance, but I would like to shoot 7mm bullets because of there better B.C.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've found the 284 to be quite sensitive to barrel length.

With my 25" Bartlein, I could only reach ~2885-2900 with the 162amax without really pushing.

My Krieger started at 29" (recoil lug to crown). I cut an inch off and added a brake, and was rewarded with a 40fps drop with the 175smk.

I'd guess a 20" 284 would hit ~2650-2700fps with the 180.

...that's still good to go for 1000(++) yard shooting.

Let me add a little more. It does not have to reach 1000, it would just be nice if it still did. The main goal is the hunting aspect and using the higher B.C. 7mm bullets over 7.62. I would really like to make it at 18 or even 16". It will have a suppressor on it so I am trying to go as short as possible. Would I be able to burn all the powder in a 18 or 16" barrel using a slightly faster powder. I live in South Texas so temp sensitive powder, hell I was sweating during most of deer season at the lease this year :/

Easiest way to get a "brush gun" and an ELR capable rig is to build two :)

Last edited: