• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short light suppressed whitetail hunting rifle

I really dig the shorter sticks. I've built several all from 16.5" to 22 ish. I've seen alot of variance from them but love them all for what they are. So my goals for a rifle all start with what I want them to do. The shorter you go the less overbore you need (for the most part) I really dig the 16-18" barrels in 308 or 6.5 Creed. G2 has a 16.5" 22GT in our CS that is a hammer with the 90 gn A-Tips and still gets them out at 3K so its an amazing coyote rifle and gets supper short and very handy with a short can.

As far as barrel contour that is the biggest difference I've seen as you can still build heavy rifles short but you can get light as well. The carbon barrels have really changed things and I've liked some of the shorties built that way. The only issue is you can get too rear heavy FAST if you don't watch it. I used to build alot on our folders with adj cheek and if you go with a short light barrel they don't feel great and weird to shoot.

You can give up ballistics fast so I have to watch it if it needs to play double duty for comps. 22" is usually as short as I would want a .308 or 6.5 Creed but the 22GT is nice for really short barrels if you comps allow it (No go for NRL hunter and such) I shoot alot of long range but when I take my 16.5: 308 and looking at the numbers sometimes 500 yards seems to be as far as I would ever think of shooting one. (Wind drift gets wild pretty quick) and where I'm at that's a long shot, if I'm wanting to go long then I'll take other rifles.

My fav combos have been.

Day Hunting: Our LRH or EH-1 with shorter carbon barrels. Lets you get very light and handy yet still balances great and feels good in the hands. You can build rifles that weight sub 7 lbs pretty easy. Defiance AnTi action with Bartlein #7 carbon wrapped barrel makes the magic. (Bartlein 4B/13/GAP6 if you want steel) It also still lets you run a can with little shift. I really prefer the short light cans for these as you're usually not shooting them alot and makes it all a joy!

Night Hunting: I built alot of rifles to use the clip ons back in the day and after mounting your CO, illum, and LRF they get way too heavy very fast. So knowing I will add a little weight to the front and I need a EFR I spec em out a bit different. I like our folders such as the MCS-EHF1/F1A or CS2 with a EFR. Stick a Carbon or steel shorty barrel in it and arca tripod mount. The added rear weight helps it balance out pretty nice but still light enough that carry doesn't bother me. Since we're carrying calls, tripods, and other goodies the reduced length helps me stick in a pack or something pretty easy. Alot of times we move from set to set never taking the rifle off the tripod. My buddy has a 22 Creed in one like this and it's great for the yotes. He runs a dedicated thermal though so no EFR needed.

Target/tactical: This is when I start really leaning more on steel barrels. I don't mind some weight here but I really want to keep it balanced . The can will make a big part of my decision here. Steel I go 18" M-24 or MTU sized barrel for the folders and a M-24/GAP 6 for the CS. Lets me keep some weight on it for recoil but still a very short and handy rifle. I've used these back in the day for deer hunting but have since really liked taking weight off as we're tromping through the swamps with rubber boots alot and lighter is MUCH better!

I'm ready to start busting these out again!

I've never heard of anyone rebarreling one of those. Is that even possible?

These are great little rifles for something light and handy. Maybe use it as a loaner rifle or a hunting truck gun that you take with you around the farm, etc.

However, I wouldn't pay that much for that one. Find the one that isn't camo and isn't cerkoted. It'll be cheaper.

Yes, you can re-barrel these and people have done so already, I think... 🤔

Reactions: reubenski
I was looking at the 16” Christensen Ridgeline Scout in .223 for a thermal host. They are also offered in .300, .308, 6.5 and 6mm arc. Pricey but only 6lbs.

• Sad
Reactions: MOshooter and FuhQ
My 16" CTR. Rifle was slowly upgraded over time based on need. Never intended to be lightweight... I think it's about 14lbs loaded.

fduOcm3h.jpg

@reubenski we have similar taste. This is the little brother that is good for coyote/hogs. Again, never intended to be lightweight but is at only around 9lbs loaded even with the stellite can (Razor) hanging off the front - mostly thanks to the thermal.

cjxRXH1h.jpg

I was looking at the 16” Christensen Ridgeline Scout in .223 for a thermal host. They are also offered in .300, .308, 6.5 and 6mm arc. Pricey but only 6lbs.
There's also this

I recently got a barrel spun up and a KRG Bravo to configure my Mausingfield into a light(er) hunting rifle. Definitely not a lightweight hunting gun, but a lot lighter than it is in a JAE with a 24-28" HV/MTU contour barrel.

I decided to go with an 18" 6.5 Creedmoor, as I wanted to use the boxes of 143 ELD-X I have collecting dust. However, what I've found with the shorter barrel is that it's pretty slow with the heavier projectiles. The 143 ELD-X's are traveling 2500 fps as they leave the muzzle, which is pretty slow IMO. I think with a short barrel 6.5 cm, you are better off with lighter projectiles, which may be hard to do if limited to factory ammo. I'm now reloading 123 Scenars and ELD-M's.

If I was to build a dedicated whitetail rifle today that was limited to factory ammo, I would strongly consider the 6 Creedmoor. I would think the overbore nature of the 6 Creedmoor would help make the cartridge more suitable velocity wise from shorter barrels.

If you have to use factory ammo and want to pick up a little velocity the Barnes 127lrx is money and available in factory loaded ammo. I load that bullet and the 143eldx for my 18”. My hand loads with both are slow though but I’m not trying to load hot. They both hit hard.

That's what I grew up hunting with. And why I want nicer rifles now that I can afford them.
It’s all about the classics, besides, can’t you ODA guys just creep up on the deer with a knife and kill it?

Y’all be overthinking this. A 30/30 done killed lotsa deer over the years. With a WalMart special Tasco scope. None of these fancy 6.5WhizBangs, Assualt rifles, and 300thunderfunkers.
Sweet story bro .Use what you want, nobody gives a shit .

Reactions: Simonsza1
6.5x47, basically 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 grain vld doing about 2700 out of a 18" barrel. Bull elk at 400 yards. Bartlein 2B barrel, Mcmillan edge classic stock. People tend to be overgunned and underpracticed.
Overgunned and underpracticed!!!!! Might be the most accurate thing I’ve read on SH in a long time. Well said.

I tried a 18" 6.5cm for the deer stand, with a can it ended up being a broom stick.

I've been using a 12.5" 6.8 AR for years, with a 5" can, it's the tits for this kind of job. A short 6.8 or 6.5g gas gun would be my suggestion, maybe 6 arc if the short barrel numbers are good.

Reactions: fanninland
I recently got a barrel spun up and a KRG Bravo to configure my Mausingfield into a light(er) hunting rifle. Definitely not a lightweight hunting gun, but a lot lighter than it is in a JAE with a 24-28" HV/MTU contour barrel.

I decided to go with an 18" 6.5 Creedmoor, as I wanted to use the boxes of 143 ELD-X I have collecting dust. However, what I've found with the shorter barrel is that it's pretty slow with the heavier projectiles. The 143 ELD-X's are traveling 2500 fps as they leave the muzzle, which is pretty slow IMO. I think with a short barrel 6.5 cm, you are better off with lighter projectiles, which may be hard to do if limited to factory ammo. I'm now reloading 123 Scenars and ELD-M's.

If I was to build a dedicated whitetail rifle today that was limited to factory ammo, I would strongly consider the 6 Creedmoor. I would think the overbore nature of the 6 Creedmoor would help make the cartridge more suitable velocity wise from shorter barrels.
How fast can the 123gr eldm be reasonably pushed in the same 18” barrel? Can a 123gr be pushed 200 fps faster than a 140gr?

6.5x47, basically 6.5 Creedmoor, 140 grain vld doing about 2700 out of a 18" barrel. Bull elk at 400 yards. Bartlein 2B barrel, Mcmillan edge classic stock. People tend to be overgunned and underpracticed.
2700fps out of an 18”. My 26” barrels don’t get much more than that.

Overgunned and underpracticed!!!!! Might be the most accurate thing I’ve read on SH in a long time. Well said.
You left off over-pressured.

That load is with max of IMR4451. I would not try for more for sure. Mine has a .170 throat and I am right at 2.8" oal. Whats safe in mine may not be safe in others.

And its been about 3 years since I chronographed it so it may be more like 2650. Archery hunting rest of this fall but will try to chrono it again in January. Curious now. Point was though, the little cartridges and short barrels do far more than folks like to give them credit. And a lot more fun to shoot.

That load is with max of IMR4451. I would not try for more for sure. Mine has a .170 throat and I am right at 2.8" oal. Whats safe in mine may not be safe in others.

And its been about 3 years since I chronographed it so it may be more like 2650. Archery hunting rest of this fall but will try to chrono it again in January. Curious now. Point was though, the little cartridges and short barrels do far more than folks like to give them credit. And a lot more fun to shoot.
I was just picking on you. You know what your rifle can handle.

Reactions: 30338
I'm curious if anyone has experience using a 16.5in barrel 308 or 6.5cm for hunting. Most of the factory rifles with a 16.5' barrel are heavy. My thought was to buy a tikka tx3 lite in 6.5cm, have a gunsmith cut the barrel to 16.5" and thread it. Could probably either thread to 1/2x28 and add an adapter to get to 5/8x24 or just add the 1/2x28 xeno brake for use with my nomad. Top with a 3x9 or LPVO and have a 8ish pound short light woods rifle for whitetail. I know 6.5cm thrives in long barrels, i have a 24in long range 6.5cm, but looking at the ballistics it seems like i can get over 1000ft/lbs out to 300 yards or so. My shots are typically inside 150 and deer in the carolinas a small. kind of a scout, kind of like a fix or cross but in a traditional stock. 6.5 will have lower recoil and less drift and drop and at the distances I'm hunting I don't think i'll miss the gains in energy by using 308. Has anyone tried anything like this or can talk me out it? The thing holding me back is that if it was a good idea i bet there would be factory rifles in 6.5 this short. Thanks for any input

Bit north of you up in PA but for the same use case I built an 18” CF 6.5 PRC on an Archimedes action in an HNT26 chassis, weighs exactly 10 pounds with a Nomad Ti and an NX8 2.5-20 though I should be able to shave 8 oz when I get my Gen 3 1-10x.

If I ever get the motivation to do an SBR a 12.5” .300 WSM is on the table, I figure shooting Hammer bullets I should be able to get pretty close performance to a 24” 30-06 shooting normal bullets.

How fast can the 123gr eldm be reasonably pushed in the same 18” barrel? Can a 123gr be pushed 200 fps faster than a 140gr?

I'm pushing the 123's at 2800 fps.

Factory loaded 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo was 2500 fps out of the same barrel.

I'm working on a similar rifle in 6Creed
I want a bit more barrel but looking to keep the package under 10 lb and maybe less...
There are some very lightweight stocks but they can be a bit spendy
Just finished a shortish 6 creed. ARC Archimedes action 18.5 inch threaded benchmark barrel from TS customs. Currently sitting in my krg bravo. Have not shot it yet, waiting on my Nomad L to be delivered first.

I'm pushing the 123's at 2800 fps.

Factory loaded 143 ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo was 2500 fps out of the same barrel.
This is the direction I went but with 123 sst as stated above. I was willing to sacrifice greater energy on target to get velocity. Main targets are inside 300 or 400 yards. I’m looking for a pass through vital shot and want a bullet that holds up through a rib but doesn’t need to break through an elk shoulder.

Reactions: kthomas
My favorite light rifle hunting scope is a March 3x24 F1. I think they are like 22 oz.
I want to try the Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x50 if I get around to doing a new build. Weighs in at 17 ounces of I remember right.

I like that the March still has all the normalcies of a tactical scope. Zero stop. .1 MRAD adjustments. FFP. Decent mrad reticle.
Completely understandable by all means. The gun I want to put that scope on will be 99.9% hunting only so I can deal with moa adjustments and reticle. I’m more interested to see how the BT turret works with the 3 pre set quick reference marks. Probably be a 350 yard and in 7mm-08 if I ever get around to starting.

For your range you're hunting, you won't loose anything with the short barrel in any of the calibers you listed (neither will the deer). I've been running a 16" DPMS G2 in 308 since it came out. That gun has taken 30-40 deer plus with bullets from 150 up to 180's and from ranges measured in feet out to 400 yards. It's a fantastic little set-up and easy to maneuver in a blind.

I've actually been kicking around going the same route, but will probably go 7mm-08 AI with an 18" barrel. Nice little package suppressed.

I've never heard of anyone rebarreling one of those. Is that even possible?
I sure hope so. I just bought a cheap Ruger American in .223 with a plan to rebarrel it with an integrally suppressed .300 BO barrel. I’ll cut the barrel to around 10” and pin and weld a baffle stack to get it over 16”. Not sure on a stock/chassis yet, I’d like to retain the AR mags. Just gotta make time…

Noticing a trend that everyone wants to go shorter and lighter. Think that this may not always be best, but depends on intended purpose, ie hunting only, target, target and hunting. If do a lot of walking, light weight is a must. Keep in mind that less weight of gun is probably going to mean more recoil depending on caliber and stock design. How much are you going to practice with it? Is it 3 shots to sight in and box amo last 3 years, or to be shot on regular basis? My experience with lighter weight guns are not as pleasant to shoot, wich is why I prefer a heavier gun. With my setup I can see and hear my hits.

Noticing a trend that everyone wants to go shorter and lighter. Think that this may not always be best, but depends on intended purpose, ie hunting only, target, target and hunting. If do a lot of walking, light weight is a must. Keep in mind that less weight of gun is probably going to mean more recoil depending on caliber and stock design. How much are you going to practice with it? Is it 3 shots to sight in and box amo last 3 years, or to be shot on regular basis? My experience with lighter weight guns are not as pleasant to shoot, wich is why I prefer a heavier gun. With my setup I can see and hear my hits.
mostly for hunting. i have a 24" prs style 6.5cm for heavy range shooting, weighs a ton. But, that was my thought behind going a 16" 6.5cm vs a 308. Within 300 yards i doubt the deer would know the difference, but 6.5cm be much softer shooting than 308. Added bonus in drop and drift

Reactions: Tunachaser2004
mostly for hunting. i have a 24" prs style 6.5cm for heavy range shooting, weighs a ton. But, that was my thought behind going a 16" 6.5cm vs a 308. Within 300 yards i doubt the deer would know the difference, but 6.5cm be much softer shooting than 308. Added bonus in drop and drift
i took my 24" 7 rem mag out with the nomad hunting last week. It is impractically long trying to maneuver inside a blind. getting it up fast without bumping into the walls and roof was tricky. i like suppressed hunting, just need something handier. i only get out hunting a few days a year so when i do shoot, i want the deer to go down. Thats really my only concern with 6.5cm in a short barrel but from most of the input, it seems like it would do fine

Suppressors have a lot to do with it as well, a rifle that would be obnoxious to shoot unsuppressed is significantly more manageable, my 18” 6.5 PRC being a prime example.

Reactions: 65x55guy