• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short light suppressed whitetail hunting rifle

It's about perfect, grip is a little thick for me though. Have thought about sanding it down to be thinner but not sure I want to mess with the stock. If it was beat up like my SL, I'd have at it...

XlRv46j.jpg

XO7nfsP.jpg

yMR1xz8.jpg

Just to close the loop on this, I got a tikka tx3 lite in 6.5 creedmoor with a 24in barrel. I had it cut 16in and threaded and mounted a leupold 3x9 I took off another rifle. Weight with scope, nomad, and sling is 8.6lbs. Love the length and weight, just have to take it out and shoot it now. Here it is next to my 24in 7mm rem mag. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!
08BDF480-4B7F-48A0-8FEA-9487B5DFC60C.jpeg

Just to close the loop on this, I got a tikka tx3 lite in 6.5 creedmoor with a 24in barrel. I had it cut 16in and threaded and mounted a leupold 3x9 I took off another rifle. Weight with scope, nomad, and sling is 8.6lbs. Love the length and weight, just have to take it out and shoot it now. Here it is next to my 24in 7mm rem mag. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!View attachment 8052834

Damn I like the looks of that Tikka

Our main lease is in the Texas Hill Country so it's a lot of rock, bluffs, and thick cedar. Shots aren't that far and you have to get elevated to be able to see any reasonable distance. I always have my 9" 300BLK in the blind incase a pig steps out and I would be lying if I said I hadn't become spoiled with short, suppressed setups over the years, but I am just now getting around to setting up shorty suppressed bolt guns.

EeJqHiF.jpg

We have a family place in south Texas and it is much more wide open, elevation in a blind isn't nearly as important there but the ability to take a shot beyond 250-300yds becomes a lot more commonplace.

Typical scenes from the blinds at our Hill Country lease.

eGylt60.jpg

GuGywnz.jpg

O7kHjht.jpg

Reminds me of someone I work with who has been to a ranch down there that keeps big horn sheep. He got an Aoudad at about 200 yards with his .300 WM.

Every year with the TPWD, I enter the drawing for a mule deer hunt at the Cap Rock Canyon SP, which is southeast of Amarillo and north east of Abilene, way above Albany and all that. Their hunt description warns of rough camping (compartment style hunting), freezing conditions, and the ability to shoot at least 200 yards. I have not won that, yet.

This season, I finally won a USFS doe (rifle) permit for Caddo Natl Grasslands but did not get anything. Too many people, not enough deer.

It's about perfect, grip is a little thick for me though. Have thought about sanding it down to be thinner but not sure I want to mess with the stock. If it was beat up like my SL, I'd have at it...
You may like the EH6. It’s the thinnest of the Manners that I’ve tried.

Late to the party, I see. A couple years ago, I decided to settle on 1 rifle for deer hunting My woods are pretty thick so shots are close, usually 50 yards and in.

I'd just bought a Henry X-Model .30-30 so that was my choice. Long story short, I'm still amazed at how quiet it is with my 7.62 YHM Phantom Ti, especially from inside my blind. The walls are 1" thick, styrofoam covered by aluminum. It's pretty damn quiet from the bench, but with the barrel sticking out a window, it's definitely hearing safe.* I don't have a meter, but it sounds quieter than my .22 mag with SS Sparrow.

*For reference, I don't say that lightly. When shooting on the range, I double up on ear pro, + the can.

I built my older son, then 6yo, a 6 creed on a 16.5" Rock Creek with an AG Composites stock that I cut down. Put on a Steiner M5Xi 3-15, TBAC Ultra 7, and a Timney 511. The DBM was a leftover cosmetic blem from a production run years prior. All up it weighs about 7.5lbs and it's 30" long.

He's shot several deer with the 87 Vmax factory ammo as well as 95 TMK's loaded up to about 2850fps. So far he's notched half a dozen tags with it over the past 3 seasons, those 87's make a horrid mess in the boiler room.

@bohem how do you like the 95 TMKs? I have a 16.5 243 now and wanting to do another but was leaning towards the 6 creed but if I don’t go heavy I might just stick with 243 or maybe a faster twist 243. Both of my kids are shooting 6.5s now so I don’t really need another 6mm but what else am I going to do 🤣?

@bohem how do you like the 95 TMKs? I have a 16.5 243 now and wanting to do another but was leaning towards the 6 creed but if I don’t go heavy I might just stick with 243 or maybe a faster twist 243. Both of my kids are shooting 6.5s now so I don’t really need another 6mm but what else am I going to do 🤣?
I love them. They're a decent midrange match bullet for little matches and I used to shoot a lot of them from my 6BR. I can't seem to find them anywhere for a couple years now so I've been Smeagol'ing what I have left to use for stacking whitetails.

PA whitetails are pretty thin skinned animals and on several of the farms that we hunt the property is close enough to homes that I don't want one of our monolithics passing all the way through and disappearing over a ridge or something. The 95's rarely penetrate all the way, if they do they're so ripped apart that they don't fly far. (Plus we do our best to shoot the deer on a down angle)

Reactions: BurtG
Late to the party, I see. A couple years ago, I decided to settle on 1 rifle for deer hunting My woods are pretty thick so shots are close, usually 50 yards and in.

I'd just bought a Henry X-Model .30-30 so that was my choice. Long story short, I'm still amazed at how quiet it is with my 7.62 YHM Phantom Ti, especially from inside my blind. The walls are 1" thick, styrofoam covered by aluminum. It's pretty damn quiet from the bench, but with the barrel sticking out a window, it's definitely hearing safe.* I don't have a meter, but it sounds quieter than my .22 mag with SS Sparrow.

*For reference, I don't say that lightly. When shooting on the range, I double up on ear pro, + the can.
Pics!

So in the process of playing musical gun parts to make room for the new CDG I have the 18” 6.5 PRC now in an EH1 with the Forged Bloodshot finish and an m5 Mini Chassis. Rifle as pictured comes out to 9.75 pounds.
F1590484-DC61-4BCB-8B71-583BA29CBAE6.jpeg

On the fence about whether to keep this stock on the hunting gun or swap it to the target rifle and pick up a pro hunter stock for the hunting gun.

Not completely in line with thread title, but pretty relevant.
I'm going on a moose hunt coming fall, and looking at getting a handy 17-18" barreled rifle in either 6.5x55 (Tikka), 7-08 or 308 (Howa).
The heart wants 7-08, but factory ammo is pretty rare for it here in Norway, 6.5 is the most common and training ammo is really cheap compared to all other cartridges here, while .308 is pretty much the most failsafe option for a short action.
Long term I'll probably be swapping barrel for 7-08AI or SAW if I go for a short action, or .284 win in case of the Tikka.
Main sticking points are, is it worth spending twice as much for the Tikka?
Should I betray my heart and go .308, although I shoot almost exclusively handloads?
I want a short and light rifle, as I only hunt suppressed, and I don't want something that snags on every bush and tree in the region, ranges are moderate in my area, and according to my calculations, all should easily be capable out to 400 yards.
I'm somewhat leaning towards the Howa in 7-08, as I already have one Howa, and I really like it, it's also a lot cheaper than the Tikka, leaving more in the budget for a good stock and scope.

Reactions: Ronws
Not completely in line with thread title, but pretty relevant.
I'm going on a moose hunt coming fall, and looking at getting a handy 17-18" barreled rifle in either 6.5x55 (Tikka), 7-08 or 308 (Howa).
The heart wants 7-08, but factory ammo is pretty rare for it here in Norway, 6.5 is the most common and training ammo is really cheap compared to all other cartridges here, while .308 is pretty much the most failsafe option for a short action.
Long term I'll probably be swapping barrel for 7-08AI or SAW if I go for a short action, or .284 win in case of the Tikka.
Main sticking points are, is it worth spending twice as much for the Tikka?
Should I betray my heart and go .308, although I shoot almost exclusively handloads?
I want a short and light rifle, as I only hunt suppressed, and I don't want something that snags on every bush and tree in the region, ranges are moderate in my area, and according to my calculations, all should easily be capable out to 400 yards.
I'm somewhat leaning towards the Howa in 7-08, as I already have one Howa, and I really like it, it's also a lot cheaper than the Tikka, leaving more in the budget for a good stock and scope.
I find nothing wrong with your thinking. 7-08 is kind of a .308 lite. Good terminal performance and should be good for the ranges you expect.

Reactions: BobKaare
Is that a 3-12x50? or 42? Good eye box/lowlight/turrets/rugged?
That one is a 50mm. From EuroOptic and I got a different turret from S&B that is in 0.1 mil clicks.
Great eye box, bright and clear, and the P3L reticle works great for hunting. Brand new so can’t speak to ruggedness but I trust it will be rugged like my 3-12x42’s

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Hanging a can off a skinny barrel is not likely to yield optimal results.
If your budget allows consider a Bartlien or Proof CF threaded barrel.

I get the impression that you only have access to really heavy cans on your side of the Atlantic, is this due to the AR platform dominating the market there, or am I just plain wrong?
We have quite good access to suppressors in the 2-400 gram (~7-14 oz) range here, do you have those there at all?
I know the legal framework is completely different when it comes to suppressors in Norway vs USA.
Here they are considered as natural a part of health and safety pretty much, while in 'murica they seem to be considered dangerous assassin tools or something.

Why?

The takeaway ive seen from people that actually measured deflection on steel vs carbon barrels suggested a thin steel barrel of the same weight of a carbon barrel is likely to have about the same stiffness if not being stiffer. Carbon marketing seems to be BS. Give me a steel barrel of the same weight every time. Only reason Id buy a carbon (and have) is to get adequate muzzle diameter for threads at a certain weight point without getting a custom steel contour that bells at muzzle for threads.

Don’t care to argue with you. My experience differs. Not all carbon barrels are equal. One brand is crap. Two others are superb.

Reactions: wind gypsy
As you say, a light steel barrel can have issues with threading to correct diameter. The smaller threads seem to distort internal barrel dimensions more. I got larger shifts but my cans might be heavy.
I’m going to be specific here. Proof and Bartlien CF barrels are really top notch for me. The “other brand” is crap.

YMMV.

Somewhat on topic with the last few post: what contour do people prefer for a 16-18" weight conscious build but with a heavy suppressor?

My TBAC 338 is going to clear well before I get around to purchasing something lighter for dedicated rifle use. I would prefer all steel, but not against going carbon to help with deflection if its the best route.

I run suppressors on a lot of rifles with short steel sporter barrels. 16-20” 243win,30-06, 6.5creed, 7.62x39, 6.5grendel,223Rem, 308win. They all shoot better with the can on. Don’t be scared to thread and suppress steel sporter barrels with a competent smith doing the threading.

The most extreme example I’ve seen of a suppressor helping accuracy was with the ruger ranch 7.62x39 shooting factory ammo with 150gr soft points. At 100 yards with the can off it shot 4.5-5.5” 5 shot groups at 100 yards, put the can on and it dropped to 1-2” 5 shot groups. Tried the process again with a different suppressor and got the the same result. This is a rare occurrence though from what I’ve seen.

The tbac 338 should do fine on a shorter sporter Bbl. I’m waiting on my tbac 338 ultra to come in also but I have another can that is a few oz heavier than the tbac 338 and it does well on sporter barrels.

Carbon is nice and has a much larger mating surface at the muzzle but if your doing a custom steel barrel you can have them bell the muzzle up to .750 like the ruger ranch barrels. I run thread adapters on some of the sporter barrels also. I don’t like to but I have not noticed any ill effect on accuracy as long as you use a well made adapter.

I get the impression that you only have access to really heavy cans on your side of the Atlantic, is this due to the AR platform dominating the market there, or am I just plain wrong?
We have quite good access to suppressors in the 2-400 gram (~7-14 oz) range here, do you have those there at all?
I know the legal framework is completely different when it comes to suppressors in Norway vs USA.
Here they are considered as natural a part of health and safety pretty much, while in 'murica they seem to be considered dangerous assassin tools or something.
we have a fair bit of options in that weight range.

Thunderbeast
Ultra 5 (5" hunting can) at 6oz and Magnus (9" crazy suppression) at 14oz

there are 4 cans in between these

i'd be interested to see the suppression level between TBAC and what you use

Tried a few different setups this past year to fill this role for me, and with what I had in the stable I couldn't check all of the boxes.

Light and Short - Check
20221024_152517.jpg
No can, and it had a loud bark.

20221219_145434.jpg

Tried this setup, did ok.
20220928_161216.jpg

20230311_105603.jpg

Added a different stock and it feels MUCH better, but I'm still wanting to chop it down from 20 to 17.5" or 18"

20221113_153641.jpg

Reactions: Old-Cat
Read through most of this thread and was curious what suppressor y’all would recommend for a 16.5” CF Bartlein 6.5 creed?

Leaning toward either a TBAC ultra 7 or Dilligent Defense Enticer STI. Thoughts?

Whidden Gunworks is building me a whitetail hunting rig off a Tikka action that won’t be ready till the end of the year.

Reactions: 2c1fr
Picked up a Sig cross 16" yesterday and I think its hard to beat.

Im picking up a ruger gunsite this coming weekend, may run iron sights on it. Its around 6#'s also.
0C73A000-0E84-4450-827C-F40C91560610.jpg

TBAC U7 would do well. Dominus CB if you think you'll want to use the suppressor later on an AR.
I hardly ever shoot my AR. Any reason an ultra 7 couldn’t be made to fit an AR?

The pew science is what makes me want to get the Enticer L TI since it’s got the best 30 cal rating. Or should I not put so much stock into what pew says?

I can get the ultra 7 for $900. Just not sure of what gen. Should I make sure to get Gen. 2?

You’re right. I’ll check out the Dominus. Doubt I’ll be shooting more than 30 rounds quickly with my AR.

I also really like how the Fly 45 looks since I may get an 8.6 blackout down the road.

Probably wouldn’t ever end up building one. Went to the gunsmith with the intention of building the 8.6 blk, but decided against it after talking to the owner and Bartlein. Just so much extra trouble to build one. Could get a carbon fiber 6.5 for half the cost of what they wanted for a SS blank. Only wanted a lightweight whitetail hunting rig as short as possible. I’m happy with my decision to build a 16.5” 6.5 creed.

Don’t want to go to all the trouble of having a nice rifle built just to throw a cheap suppressor on it and end up regretting not spending a little more.

I was just checking out the enticer product pages. The STI looks on point for a hunting suppressor. Same weighr, 1/4" shorter, $250 cheaper. I would expect it to be at least the same performance of an ultra 7. They also have 338 cans.....
Got a local shop that has the Enticer STI for $635, but they said they’d have to order one for me. For that price, it’s hard to beat.

Read through most of this thread and was curious what suppressor y’all would recommend for a 16.5” CF Bartlein 6.5 creed?

Leaning toward either a TBAC ultra 7 or Dilligent Defense Enticer STI. Thoughts?

Whidden Gunworks is building me a whitetail hunting rig off a Tikka action that won’t be ready till the end of the year.
TBAC Ultra 7, Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 6.5mm, Dead Air Nomad-Ti are all good options. 👍🏼

Reactions: mwiggi
Thanks for all of the suggestions, this is where I ended up.

Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP 18" 308. Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 in Talley Modern Sporting Rings 30mm Medium on a Talley Picatinny rail and a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen2 CB. It comes in at 8lbs 9oz with the glass, TBAC CB brake and no ammo and 9lbs 1oz with the can.

I plan to run it as is for the rest of this season and see what I think. I am considering a different stock with a detachable AICS mag setup and possibly sending the bolt off for fluting. Hopefully the Vortex doesn't let me down.

cVWtz6v.jpg

UNltydd.jpg

While the Vortex didn't let me down in any way, it actually bagged some pigs and 'yotes, I have decided to send it on its way. For the money I like the gun for the hunting blind so I plan to keep it around and mount something else on it for the fall. I am considering a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 and the Mark 5HD 3.6-18. I like that the Mark 5HD is FFP but it isn't needed for the type of hunting and distances this rifle will see regularly.

Otter creek Hydrogen S, DD Enticer S or STI, and TBAC Ultra 7 is what I’ve narrowed down to. Really like how lightweight the Hydrogen S is though.

Honestly wasn’t sure if I could tell the extra .3 pound difference between the Enticer S and Enticer S TI on the end of the rifle. I know it won’t matter for my Tikka CTR 308, but was unsure about the 16.5” Tikka I’m having built.

Otter creek Hydrogen S, DD Enticer S or STI, and TBAC Ultra 7 is what I’ve narrowed down to. Really like how lightweight the Hydrogen S is though.

Honestly wasn’t sure if I could tell the extra .3 pound difference between the Enticer S and Enticer S TI on the end of the rifle. I know it won’t matter for my Tikka CTR 308, but was unsure about the 16.5” Tikka I’m having built.
I'm currently up to 4 OCL cans... A Hydrogen-S 6.5, Hydrogen-S 7.62, Hydrogen-L 7.62, and Polonium 5.56. You will not regret the Hydrogen-S purchase. Especially if you pair it with their ZR0-DTA mount that adds no length to the end of your can, by recessing the threads into the blast chamber. It's awesome for hunting rigs and guns you want to keep light and compact.

Reactions: godofthunder
Didn’t know about the ZRO-DTA mount but that looks promising. So the Enticer STI and OCL Hydrogen S seem to be very similar and I could use that mount on either.

Almost identical weight between the two, but the Enticer STI is $100 cheaper and the Enticer S would be $300 cheaper than the STI but 4 more ounces. Could I really tell the difference between 4 ounces? I’m not sure either way.