• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shortening an SPS Varmint??

Kemosabe

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Albuquerque NM
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">I'm thinking of getting a Remington SPS Varmint and having the barrel shortened to 22 inches, therefore getting better velocity than a 20" Tactical without the unwieldy length of the Varmint 26" tube. Any thoughts???</span></span>

Re: Shortening an SPS Varmint??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #CC33CC"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Bust out the hacksaw and the fancy type</span></span></span> </div></div>
<span style="color: #CC33CC"> </span> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> </span> <span style="font-size: 20pt"> </span> <span style="color: #993399"> </span> LMAO! <span style="color: #CC33CC"> </span>

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">Me likey the fancy type!!</span></span></span></span>

Go for it.

I cut my 700 VS from 26 to 22", good place to be.

Later I cut it to 20.5 to accomodate a brake, at 22" overall.

I cant get the text to work.
frown.gif

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">I know envy when I read it. At least I didn't use pink letters!!!

Besides - I need big letters so I can read them.

I guess I should add "Thanks for the advice"!!</span></span>

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Who did your "paint" job, El Gordo??</span></span>

You're not really going to take a hacksaw to it are you?

Just got my 700P, basically the same barreled action, back from SAS with the barrel cut down to 20". I won't get to shoot it until this weekend, but I like it already.

308-2.jpg

<span style="color: #006600"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Kemosabe...I did it all by myself!</span> </span> </span>

Yeah, but you have to use a special hacksaw only available through MidwayUSA.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">After further review - and research - I guess I'll just buy a 20" "Tactical". Less than 100FPS velocity difference between 22" and 20" tubes. PLUS - it says "TACTICAL" on it!! 24 or 26 inch just seems too unwieldy.

Thanks for all input.</span></span>

I've had that A5 for about six years. Oredered it shortly after they were first available. It's krylon'd now.

I've got a couple stocks for the 308. An A5, and an HTG. One of these days I guess i need to pick up another rifle to fill out the stocks on hand.

I had Roscoe cut mine down to 20" on Sunday afternoon, he did a great job, I will try and crono some loads this weekend, and see if that 6 inches really mattered. It just made it so much more useful as a hunting rifle around here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Roscoe cut mine down to 20" on Sunday afternoon, he did a great job, I will try and crono some loads this weekend, and see if that 6 inches really mattered. It just made it so much more useful as a hunting rifle around here. </div></div>

Must be nice to live so close to Roscoe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kemosabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">After further review - and research - I guess I'll just buy a 20" "Tactical". Less than 100FPS velocity difference between 22" and 20" tubes. PLUS - it says "TACTICAL" on it!! 24 or 26 inch just seems too unwieldy.

Thanks for all input.</span></span> </div></div>

With the factory barrel I'd bet it's even less loss in FPS than that from a 26 to 20".

700 PSS at 20" - effective and handy for the hunting I do. Handles well on the shoulder and in the blind.

5-23-09-handcamera015.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pwc001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Roscoe cut mine down to 20" on Sunday afternoon, he did a great job, I will try and crono some loads this weekend, and see if that 6 inches really mattered. It just made it so much more useful as a hunting rifle around here. </div></div>

Must be nice to live so close to Roscoe. </div></div>

Yeah, I called him around lunch, by 2:00pm I was on my way back home, with my shortened rifle.

I was used to seeing the Kryloned stuff, and that one stood out at me....I guess I need to pay better attention.

Anyway, I'd cut that barrel down to 20-22" and move on. I've got 3 or 4 more to cut down, myself.

I got to crono my same load today that was moving at 2760fps out of the 26" barrel. Now at 20inches, it is moving at 2700fps, with a 168 Amax. I did not loose very much speed, so I am happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kemosabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">I'm thinking of getting a Remington SPS Varmint and having the barrel shortened to 22 inches, therefore getting better velocity than a 20" Tactical without the unwieldy length of the Varmint 26" tube. Any thoughts???</span></span> </div></div>

I did mine on the lathe at work. It's 22" and I will be using it for hunting this year. Last year it was still at 26" and was a bit much to move around with in the stand. As it is now, it's in the B&C stock and is MUCH more portable.

26" barrel:
DSC02111.jpg

22" barrel:
0917091831a.jpg

I have an sps-t that I cut down to 18.5in and put a brake on it. It finished out out 20.5in and handles like a dream. Seems to balance very well. I also put it in a 5r stock. Much improved over origional version. I do need to bed it though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're not really going to take a hacksaw to it are you? </div></div>

thats what im wondering. yall arnt just doing a hacksaw, or if you are at least re crowning it correct?

What the hell is wrong with hacksawing it off, you have to get the two pieces apart. Then you just clean it up on the lathe and you are done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700 VS at 22"
IMG_6650_1.jpg
</div></div>

Dats perty

Heck, knock it down to 16", it's only an extra 150fps or so... if you wanted to game the system as a speed freak you wouldn't be shooting a 308.

_MG_1301.JPG

Yep, I'm cutting down mine to 17" (with a .5" deep crown) or 16.5" with threads. But where I hunt you don't need 800+ yardage velocities, now if I were out west, I would cut in down to 20" for the extra velocity.

19" here, haven't shot it yet, but it handles very well.

DSCN0708.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heck, knock it down to 16", it's only an extra 150fps or so... if you wanted to game the system as a speed freak you wouldn't be shooting a 308.

_MG_1301.JPG
</div></div>

Which stock do you have on your rifle?

That stock looks like a McMillian A-5 with their desert molded in finish with a Eagle SSP straped on the buttstock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That stock looks like a McMillian A-5 with their desert molded in finish with a Eagle SSP straped on the buttstock. </div></div>

Nope, Manners T4 with duracoat'd desert finish. I like the manners T4 better than the A5, but the molded finishes are definitely nicer. I'll be glad when Manners starts offering that.

308-Build.jpg

Here's mine at 20" or 21" (I forget) in a B&C "Varmint Tactical". Started as a .308 VS with a 26" barrel. Had Jim See, (www.centershotrifles.com) do a level 1 accuracy package on it and add the tacticool bolt knob. Factory barrel still on it, just cut down and recrowned. Here's how it shoots at 200 yards.

Target-2.jpg

You can say all you want about Remington factory barrels, and I have had some stinkers, too, but this one shoots pretty well.

Fast Ed