• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Shortening up a barrel

bob190e

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2013
Indiana
Hello all
Awhile back I purchased a Kimber 8400 tactical off a friend. I got a killer deal on it and it's been a good rifle so far. I would like it to have a shorter barrel. The barrel specs are.....Length: 24" Twist rate(righthand): 12. I would like to have the barrel cut to 18" and threaded for a suppressor.

My question is will doing this have any negative effects on this rifle? I'm not worried about the Kimber warranty. Thanks for your help.

Since Graham was just a big help I guess I shouldn't reply but I will.

Op, the only " negative" effects would be decreased velocities and reduced terminal ballistics at extended ranges. "Negative" is subjective as well. Depending on your intended use, you may not see any "negative" results and reap all the benefits of a shorter barrel. If you are still under the stigma that shorter barrels are less accurate, that is a myth that was debunked a long time ago.

Last edited:
Shortening up a barrel

Since Graham was just a big help I guess I shouldn't reply but I will.
Sorry. I forgot: This site doesn't exist any more to stimulate discussion and induce learning, we are now required to spoon-feed people with instant answers lest they take offense. My mistake.

Sorry. I forgot: This site doesn't exist any more to stimulate discussion and induce learning, we are now required to spoon-feed people with instant answers lest they take offense. My mistake.

The guy has 7 post, maybe he's been on this site before, maybe he hasn't. My point was, as long as it took you to post a smart ass comment you could have just answered the question or referred him a search, instead you chose to be a self righteous tool about it. I know a lot of people will say grow thicker skin, but its not about being offended, its about common courtesy and respect. People that live on this site sometimes forget many others that visit here do just that, visit.

Shortening up a barrel

The guy has 7 post, maybe he's been on this site before, maybe he hasn't. My point was, as long as it took you to post a smart ass comment you could have just answered the question or referred him a search, instead you chose to be a self righteous tool about it. I know a lot of people will say grow thicker skin, but its not about being offended, its about common courtesy and respect. People that live on this site sometimes forget many others that visit here do just that, visit.
I appreciate the lecture, and the name calling, but doing that while hijacking his thread to make it all about me effectively ceded the moral high ground that you staked out for yourself.

Last edited:
I appreciate the lecture, and the name calling, but doing that while hijacking his thread to make it all about me effectively ceded the moral high ground that you staked out for yourself.

It is what it is, my statement still stands.

Sorry It wasn't my intent to be spoon fed or appear lazy. I guess I should have stated in my original post that I used the search function for my specific rifle and did not find the answer to my question so I decided to ask. I have been frequenting this site more lately, but am very new here. I am also new to bolt guns and distance shooting. I apologize if I offended anyone with my post.

Sorry It wasn't my intent to be spoon fed or appear lazy. I guess I should have stated in my original post that I used the search function for my specific rifle and did not find the answer to my question so I decided to ask. I have been frequenting this site more lately, but am very new here. I am also new to bolt guns and distance shooting. I apologize if I offended anyone with my post.

Man, fuck him. You don't have to apologize for shit. He chose to not answer your question with his first response and in a way, belittle you for not knowing something apparently anybody with little knowledge of rifles should know.
It is a good idea to use the search function before asking to keep from clogging the server but apparently you did and didn't find what you were looking for. This site is a great site and has alot of knowledgable people here, but as with anything else you have your people like him.

Last edited:
Shortening up a barrel

Man, fuck him. You don't have to apologize for shit. He chose to not answer your question with his first response and in a way, belittle you for not knowing something apparently anybody with little knowledge of rifles should know.
It is a good idea to use the search function before asking to keep from clogging the server but apparently you did and didn't find what you were looking for. This site is a great site and has alot of knowledgable people here, but as with anything else you have your people like him.
And I thought he was responding to you. LOL!

I never asked him to apologize. I never 'belittled' him either. In my second post I was talking about you.

Pusher, I have no idea why you have such a hard on for me today but you are way off base on this one. I get it: You don't like me. That's your prerogative. But please be mature about it and do it in private. If you want to call me names and tell others to fuck me while hijacking their Threads then kindly Troll somewhere else.

OP,

No worries, man, I was simply trying to start a dialogue with you to narrow-down what it was that you knew versus what exactly you were asking. Unfortunately, Pusher intervened and targeted me.

Last edited:
And I thought he was talking about you. LOL!

I never asked him to apologize. I never 'belittled' him either. In my second post I was talking about you.

Pusher, I have no use why you have such a hard on for me today but you are way off base on this one. I get it: You don't like me. That's your prerogative, but please do it in private. If you want to call me names and tell others to fuck me while hijacking Threads then kindly Troll somewhere else.

Why would you not think he was talking about? Your the one who replied about spoon feeding people and that was his response "I didn't meen to be spoon fed or lazy". That seems like it applies to you.

You want to talk about high jacking, I'm the only person between you and I who has answered the OP's question. You keep talking about high jacking yet you continue to post here as well, so you might want to take some of your own advice that you so intellectually provided me in you second post in regard to my moral high ground I staked myself on.

I don't have any problem with you other then you acting like your better then somebody. We get it, your intellectual and love to debate. Save your intellectual BS for the Bear Pit.

If you feel like a response is warranted ( which I'm sure you will because as long as you've been on this site you have to have the last word) just PM so neither one of us high jacks the thread.

Shortening up a barrel

OP,

Apparently Pusher will not give up until he succeeds in goading me into a fight. Unfortunately for him I'm not interested in responding to bullies tonight. Sorry about him shutting down your Thread. I don't know much about where you wanted the discussion to go, but I know it wasn't intended to be about me. If there's anything you still want to know maybe send me a PM.

Pusher, don't hold your breath for that PM from me. Only in your world can you insult people and call them names, then expect that they want to talk to you.

Last edited:
Hello all
Awhile back I purchased a Kimber 8400 tactical off a friend. I got a killer deal on it and it's been a good rifle so far. I would like it to have a shorter barrel. The barrel specs are.....Length: 24" Twist rate(righthand): 12. I would like to have the barrel cut to 18" and threaded for a suppressor.

My question is will doing this have any negative effects on this rifle? I'm not worried about the Kimber warranty. Thanks for your help.

Depending on the caliber, you may see increased muzzle flash/blast along with lower velocities. If you're at the ragged edge, the increased pressure of the muzzleblast may damage your suppressor on the larger magnum calibers.

E.T.A. See "My Thunderbeast-- EXPLODED!!" in the Suppressor subforum.

Last edited:
I cut a .308 rem 700 from 26 to 18in and had a brake put on. Lost 300fps. No loss in accuracy. Still able to hit the 1000 yd steel. I have another that is at 22 in and it is about 100fps slower than my 26in. Only thing you will lose is speed. I do not have my suppressor yet...(thunderbeast on order) so I cannot comment on that.

I kinda thought so, but that was thru a chrono before and after the cut. Same load 46.2 reloader 15 and a sierra 155 hpbt. 2936fps before, 2645fps after. Now I haven't tried switching to a faster powder maybe to get some speed back. I cut it down to use a hunting rig cause I had a few too many .308s and wanted to experiment.

A short barrel seems more practical to me. I eventually would like to put a muzzle break and QD suppressor on it, but that will be later down the road. For now I would like an 18” barreled accurate rifle. The rifle is pretty accurate now with its 24” barrel but is just so long. I guess my worry was that cutting the barrel down would mess up the accuracy. Now all I need to do is find someone that can do the cutting and threading.

Same place that put the brake on for me cut it down. I used Magnaport industries in Harrison twp mi.

Just make sure you specify your threads so they match your suppressor and brake. Ive had two brakes put on by different companies. They seem to put whatever thread they want.

If you reload your own ammo your powder choice can help to mitigate the muzzle blast/flash.

I think slow powders probably worked best in the 24" barrel. Picking a faster burning powder will at least reduce muzzle flash in the 18" barrel. Some powders have reduced flash characteristics built in.

Does anyone know (estimate) fps loss going from 24" to 20" in 308 with a 12 twist? I just bought a AIAE and was wanting to cut to 20" and put on a surefire socom brake but I am still want to get to 900-1000yds.

I haven't tried a 24 barrel thru the chrono, but my guns are as follows
26 = 2936fps rem 700 original barrel
22 = 2820fps rem 700 w rock creek barrel
18 = 2645fps rem 700 original barrel

I was still hitting steel with the 18in barrel, holding over with mildots as I ran out of adjustment. I was using the sierra 155hpbt with 46.2 gr of RL15 its hitting the 1000yd steel at 1241 fps

Your Input Variables

Ballistic Coefficient 0.504 Velocity (ft/s) 2645 Weight (grains) 155
Maximum Range (yds) 1000 Interval (yds) 100 Drag Function G1
Sight Height (inches) 1.5 Shooting Angle (degrees) 0 Zero Range (yds) 100
Wind Speed (mph) 0 Wind Angle (degrees) 90 Altitude (ft) 0
Pressure (hg) 29.53 Temperature (F) 59 Humidity (%) 0.78

Ballistics Results

Range (yards) Velocity (fps) Energy (ft.-lb.) Trajectory (in) Come UP in MOA Come UP in Mils Wind Drift (in) Wind Drift in MOA Wind Drift in Mils
Muzzle 2645 2408 -1.5 0 0 0 0 0
100 2471 2101 0 0 0 0 0 0
200 2303 1826 -4.2 2 0.6 0 0 0
300 2142 1580 -15 4.8 1.4 0 0 0
400 1988 1360 -33.4 8 2.3 0 0 0
500 1841 1166 -60.6 11.6 3.4 0 0 0
600 1701 996 -98 15.6 4.5 0 0 0
700 1570 848 -147.6 20.1 5.9 0 0 0
800 1449 722 -211.2 25.2 7.3 0 0 0
900 1338 616 -291.5 30.9 9 0 0 0
1000 1241 530 -391.1 37.3 10.9 0 0 0

I only use SWA right now while I am saving for the reloading stuff. Nows the time I wish I had a Chrono, I could see what the loss is between the two lengths with a AI barrel.

I would estimate based on my rifle, that you may lose 150 to 200fps going from 24 to 20. Some barrels are faster than others. It wouldn't be good in my opinion to just use my experience to guess what might happen with your rifle either. I only tried one load. I would think that there may be different results with different powders. Maybe someone who has done this or loads for a shorter rifle can give a recipe that yields more fps.

Hello all

Your good to go. Cut it and enjoy the shorter package. The velocity will drop off enough that you wont notice. Use a reputable smith like ADCO for your cut and thread so that you know the threads are concentric to the bore.

Have a good gunsmith cut it and recrown it and you should be fine. As mentioned you will lose some velocity ( how much is debated ) also increased muzzle flash but a more compact rifle. Research what type of crown you will need, there are a few to choose from base it off your realistic needs.

I cut a .308 rem 700 from 26 to 18in and had a brake put on. Lost 300fps. No loss in accuracy. Still able to hit the 1000 yd steel. I have another that is at 22 in and it is about 100fps slower than my 26in. Only thing you will lose is speed. I do not have my suppressor yet...(thunderbeast on order) so I cannot comment on that.
This is pretty telling. 22" 308.

But what if I did a 18" or 16" but went with a faster twist rate lets say 1-8" (like the DTA Covert 308 conversion)? I know Broughton, McGowen, and Douglas makes them in 1-8" twist.

Last edited:
Shortening up a barrel

There is no need for an 8 twist on a .308.

With a .308 you don't even need a fast twist barrel unless you get under 20" or want to shoot subsonics. At under 20" I would go to a ten twist and maybe a .299 bore if you want to make it more capable at longer ranges with factory ammo (like beyond 700 yards). But the ten should do for everything except the heaviest 240 subsonics, which will require a 9.

And keep in mind that velocity drop per inch depends on the power you are using and the barrel length you start with. Try faster burning powders, like BLC(2) with 175SMKs in a 20" barrel and 2600fps might be achievable.

Thats what I was talking about under 20" barrel. I was thinking 18"or 16" barrel. Would it be wise to have a faster twist?