• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Shorter cans for rifle

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Kinda getting an itch for another can... ;)

I've got two Gemtech Sandstorm Ti cans... they work great, not too heavy... but kinda long.

More recently I've seen a lot of love for the TBAC Ultra 5 for general-purpose centerfire rifle use - maybe not the *quietest* option out there, but certainly better than un-suppressed, and well, a lot shorter than a full 8-10" can.

So the TBAC Ultra 5 is definitely on my 'short' list (hah!)...

...but I have to ask, what else is out there as far as 'short' cans, for say .308 Win / 6.5CM etc. Doesn't *have* to be able to handle magnums, but it'd be cool if it did.

Rugged micro 30. Good for magnums also. 5 inches in the short configuration. I like short cans on almost everything these days. I'd I'm not shooting subs or need to have the most flash reduction possible, I like to use mini style suppressors. I've used it on my 300 win mag. 300 Norma Mag, 308s. And also a few 5.56 guns for testing against my 5.56 cans. Light, compact, takes the blast off, and a pleasure to shoot.

Right now you get 3 free muzzle devices with the purchase also. This micro 30 is probably one of my favorite cans and I own 10 different center-fire rifle cans. Including surefire, KAC, TB, SiCo, AAC, and Rugged.

Reactions: manki77
    Rugged micro 30. Good for magnums also. 5 inches in the short configuration. I like short cans on almost everything these days. I'd I'm not shooting subs or need to have the most flash reduction possible, I like to use mini style suppressors. I've used it on my 300 win mag. 300 Norma Mag, 308s. And also a few 5.56 guns for testing against my 5.56 cans. Light, compact, takes the blast off, and a pleasure to shoot.

Right now you get 3 free muzzle devices with the purchase also. This micro 30 is probably one of my favorite cans and I own 10 different center-fire rifle cans. Including surefire, KAC, TB, SiCo, AAC, and Rugged.

How does it compare to the Ultra 7 in its full length configuration? And in its short?

It's a little louder obviously in the short. More of a deeper tone. The TB had less POI shift then the full length Rugged. About 1/2 inch more but could be because of the weight in full config and really thin barrel profile. And the short rugged 30 and the TB ultra 7 we're about the same POI. TB grouped ever so slightly better. The surefire SPS 300 was the second best grouping. The KAC QDC 7.62 and surefire sps 300 sounded the best but because if the weight and length didn't feel as good on the rifle. Overall for a precision gun the TB still is my favorite. For length and weight and construction and ability to run it on gas guns also, the Rugged is really hard to beat. The 5 inch can does very well for nocking down the blast and keeping it short and compact.

That’s good information to know on helping people choose the right can. I’ve got a Ultra 7 and it’s an awesome can so far haven’t shot it a lot but am going to run it on my 6br and will get the brakes to run it on my other rifles.

I have a SiCo Omega, TBAC 30CB9, and Hybrid and all are in the shortest config possible. Omega being the shortest at 6.5" with the flat cap and Area 419 adapters. Honestly wish i would've gone with and Ultra 7 and Ultra 5. I find myself using the Omega in it's shortest config the most simply because of the reduced length of the rifle.

I'd definitely go Ultra 7 or 5. Hell i'd probably go 5 honestly.

Reactions: CStroud
    My wife has an Ultra 7 (6.5 cal.) and it's an awesome can. Nice balance between size and suppression.

I have the Ultra 5 awaiting ATF's blessing. Should be approved in a couple months. I'm looking forward to the shorter length for hunting and competition use.

Absolutely love my ultra 5 and will be getting another. My saker lives on my .308 bolt gun but the ultra 5 goes everywhere else.
    Always gets lots of admirers at matches when people notice that it's a can on there, and then hear it haha. Tiny little suppressor cover almost masks the fact I'm suppressed

I got the Ultra 5 because I originally wanted a moderator (a short suppressor that's not hearing safe, hence the nomenclature). But I found the damn Ultra 5 just BARELY makes it under the radar as a suppressor. Why get a moderator when you can get a suppressor that's the same size? It'll take most of the bite out of larger calibers but where it really shines is on a .300BLK SBR. Or on a hunt.

I like my quiet cans, but if I had to go back to being a door kicker, I'd prefer something light and short.

Oh yeah, that too, it's also so damn light it's like having nothing on the end of the rifle at all. Just simple and effective. And if you have Ultra 9's already, this is a damn good one to add. If you got the Ultra 7, well, I guess it's up to you but I think of the 7 as the model for guys that don't want the 9's length but want better suppression than the Ultra 5, yet only want one can to do it all.

I'll be waiting until after SHOT Show to see if TBAC comes out with something new. If not, I'll order an Ultra-5 right after it.

Reactions: skierhs
    2A4C1987-02AE-4679-AE89-7CE2ABB591B4.jpeg

Here’s a ultra 7 vs omega w/flat ti endcap. Have’ t measured the omega but it’s not too long and very compatible in dB reduction to the 7.

It's a round 6.25-6.5" I run the Omega in that config most of the time. Though i'd still go TBAC reduction is better, cans are more durable in my experience. I've had the baffle stack come undone out of my Omega within the first couple of weeks of having it after running it on a 6.5 SAUM. The sleeve of both my omega and Hybrid constantly have to be reloctited or tightened. It's just annoying as hell.

It's a round 6.25-6.5" I run the Omega in that config most of the time. Though i'd still go TBAC reduction is better, cans are more durable in my experience. I've had the baffle stack come undone out of my Omega within the first couple of weeks of having it after running it on a 6.5 SAUM. The sleeve of both my omega and Hybrid constantly have to be reloctited or tightened. It's just annoying as hell.

The sleeve coming loose is a pain in the dick, solved the problem with a bit of Rocksett each time which I use on the direct threads as well, problem went away. Have read stories about the stack issues but makes me wonder if that wasn’t an issue with early omegas. There’s guys running cans locally that stay on either 28 Noslers, 300 Normas, or 300 wins with no issues.

The sleeve coming loose is a pain in the dick, solved the problem with a bit of Rocksett each time which I use on the direct threads as well, problem went away. Have read stories about the stack issues but makes me wonder if that wasn’t an issue with early omegas. There’s guys running cans locally that stay on either 28 Noslers, 300 Normas, or 300 wins with no issues.
    My Omega's sleeve has loosened up but only a little. Haven't had a complete failure yet and it has gone through a 3 day carbine class that I shot completely suppressed. My serial number is 1379x. Not sure how early or established this is considered.

I bought a SAS Arbiter (.30 9") and Barricade (6.5 6") when Mile High was blowing them out. I thought going into it that I'd like the 9" more, but the opposite has definitely proven to be the case. There was so little performance difference between the two that the shorter one quickly became my favorite. I just bought an Ultra 5 in 6.5mm. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I can't really see myself buying another can longer than 7".

Where did you have to apply the rocksett to keep the sleeve from loosening? I just got my Omega and will keep an eye on it, but the sleeve coming loose seems to be common enough that I'd like to know how to deal with it.

Thanks.