• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SHOT 2011 article

Re: SHOT 2011 article

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let the reading begin</div></div>

It is long and convoluted. I am trying to beat my own record for putting people to sleep...

ILya

Wow haha

I really appreciate a nice writeup like this. It informs those of us who cant attend SHOT of (most) of what went on and was introduced.

Thanks a lot!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let the reading begin</div></div>

It is long and convoluted. I am trying to beat my own record for putting people to sleep...

ILya </div></div>

Ilya,

A most excellent read and not boring in the least. Of your reviews, I was most excited about: IOR's 30mm 4-16x50, Premier's Light Tactical 30mm 3-15x50mm, and Bushnell's 3-21x50mm, abet on a 34mm tube. Any more information you can gather on those scopes would be appreciated.

I always found it odd that scope makers and marketers, have for the most part ignored, a market segment that would fit virtually 80% of civilian tactical shooters: That is a relativity light weight 30mm tubed FFP 3-15 or 4-16x range, Illuminated MIL/MIL (with 0.5 MIL increments please)scope, with at least 18 Milrads of adjustment, that would retail in the $1k to $1.6K Range.

That segment is currently owned by Nightforce's SFP designs, and is truly ripe for exploitation.

Everybody seems to want to build a 34mm scope, that retails north of $2k. A segment that is getting a bit crowded, IMHO.

In any event, thank you again for a fine and detailed review.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let the reading begin</div></div>

ILya </div></div>

Ilya,

A most excellent read and not boring in the least. Of your reviews, I was most excited about: IOR's 30mm 4-15x50, Premier's Light Tactical 30mm 3-15x50mm, and Bushnell's 3-21x50mm, abet on a 34mm tube. Any more information you can gather on those scopes would be appreciated.

I always found it odd that scope makers and marketers, have for the most part ignored, a market segment that would fit virtually 80% of civilian tactical shooters: That is a relativity light weight 30mm tubed 3-15 or 4-16x range, Illuminated MIL/MIL (with 0.5 MIL increments please)scope, with at least 18 Milrads of adjustment, that would retail in the $1k to $1.6K Range.

That segment is currently owned by Nightforce's SFP designs, and is truly ripe for exploitation.

Everybody seems to want to build a 34mm scope, that retails north of $2k. A segment that is getting a bit crowded, IMHO.

Bob
</div></div>

I also find this segment quite interesting and a lot less crowded than the ultra-high end, so I will track it carefully.
I am pretty sure I will be able to get my hand son the Premier 3-15x50 with 30mm tube when it is available. We'll see about the rest of them.

ILya

Where is the part of the article about me bitching out the optics guys for things... over an hour you got to hear me bitch and moan about stuff and not mention LOL

I'm not feeling the love.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ILYA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let the reading begin</div></div>

ILya </div></div>

Ilya,

A most excellent read and not boring in the least. Of your reviews, I was most excited about: IOR's 30mm 4-15x50, Premier's Light Tactical 30mm 3-15x50mm, and Bushnell's 3-21x50mm, abet on a 34mm tube. Any more information you can gather on those scopes would be appreciated.

I always found it odd that scope makers and marketers, have for the most part ignored, a market segment that would fit virtually 80% of civilian tactical shooters: That is a relativity light weight 30mm tubed 3-15 or 4-16x range, Illuminated MIL/MIL (with 0.5 MIL increments please)scope, with at least 18 Milrads of adjustment, that would retail in the $1k to $1.6K Range.

Bob
</div></div>

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this, and hopefully those making the goods are thinking the same thing as well. And please, ~40mm objective please, 50 is too big.

Ilya,

Thanks for taking the time to put together you thoughts for all of us to read. As always, great stuff!

Enjoyed meeting you there as well. Always cool to put a face & a handshake behind the posts/threads, etc.

Ceylon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ilya,

Thanks for taking the time to put together you thoughts for all of us to read. As always, great stuff!

Enjoyed meeting you there as well. Always cool to put a face & a handshake behind the posts/threads, etc.

Ceylon </div></div>

Likewise, it was good to meet you too Ceylon.

Once I get past some of my backlog, we will talk about Eberlestock a bit more.

ILya

ILYA,

That's it??? Next time try to go a little deeper!!!

All joking aside, always impressed with your comprehensive breakdown. It was good seeing and talking to you at SHOT again. Great work!

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where is the part of the article about me bitching out the optics guys for things... over an hour you got to hear me bitch and moan about stuff and not mention LOL

I'm not feeling the love. </div></div>

Frank, it was good to meet with you and listen in. I thought about talking about that for a bit, but decided that absent a video recording I simply can not do it justice...
grin.gif

I did take some notes though for future use against optics manufacturers.

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ILYA,

That's it??? Next time try to go a little deeper!!!

All joking aside, always impressed with your comprehensive breakdown. It was good seeing and talking to you at SHOT again. Great work!

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

</div></div>

Thanks, Mason.

I carefully calibrate the amount of detail in my write-ups so that I only put about 30% of my audience to sleep.

If you want, I can make a special version just for you. However, you will be required to drink four Red Bulls before reading it.

ILya

I have been checking your site almost daily for awhile now looking for your 2011 report. You have impressed me yet again with your in depth report on the scope market as a whole. Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

That was a good read Ilya!<thanks

I thought your humor was well executed too! I wasn't bored and had a few chuckles along the way.

I'm really interested to see how that Bushnell/Horus scope pans out! A common man can only afford but a few 2-3K scopes,arg...

Great write-up! With SHOT there's never enough time to truly hunt down all of the relevant items that have percolated up to the surface of production, so a summary that comprehensive is well appreciated.

As much as I hate watching Youtube video articles, I'd still gladly sit down for an hour to hear Frank rant about scope companies.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great write-up! With SHOT there's never enough time to truly hunt down all of the relevant items that have percolated up to the surface of production, so a summary that comprehensive is well appreciated.

As much as I hate watching Youtube video articles, I'd still gladly sit down for an hour to hear Frank rant about scope companies.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Maybe next year, I'll talk Frank into recording some "pointed" remarks that I can embed into the write-up where appropriate.

ILya