• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot my rifle for the first time today! (got a ?)

JJRawr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
El Paso, TX
I invested a lot of money and time on this rifle over the past year and finally got it ready to shoot. It's a Remington 700 5r with a nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

Took some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo to zero at 100 yards today. Took me a whopping 12 rounds to zero! I was happy that it was so easy. After the initial 12, I was shooting 4 round shot groups at about 2 1/2 moa which made me very happy. I'm sure I'll get better, but yeah, I was very stoked to say the least!

I brought a rangefinder out there on a tripod and was wondering, how are they supposed to rangefind so far? The rangefinder doesn't have a zoon or anything and i found it hard just to keep the target in the circle to rangefind at only 100 yards. how do you do it at longer distances?

Overall though, I was very pleased with my first time shooting a bolt action rifle. I've shot plenty of handguns, but this is a whole different game all together. I really enjoyed the 30 rounds I shot today (as did my spotter!). We were both really impressed at the accuracy of the rifle and how easy it was to zero and set the zero stops. Love this rifle and scope!

Anyways, sorry for the long read, I just can't stop thinking about it! Probably going again in the next few days!

Re: Shot my rifle for the first time today! (got a ?)

Congradulaions on the new rifle. I'm sure you will find as you go along that rifle is capable of 1/2moa or better Check out some of the training courses here on the hide the information is dirt cheap and priceless

That rifle will out shoot you for awhile. Good choice on equipment, you won't feel like you need anything better for a long time, if ever. Practice will squeeze those groups down. As far as the rangefinder goes, you just have to hold it as steady as you can and see if your readings make sense. Obviously, the bigger the target the easier to get a valid reading on. Some of the rangefinders have magnification that helps.

Congrats on the new toy.

I started with the same setup and still enjoy it as much as my custom. For just starting out there's nothing wrong with the combo. You'll enjoy it for years.

Just remember to pratice every chance you can with the rifle and the rangefinder
smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your new addiction.
wink.gif
Welcome to the world of LR shooting.

okie

My rangefinder has a spot to attach it to a camera tripod. You could try that if you are having trouble using it to range somethin far off.

Holding a rangefinder is hard to do when ranging. If you have a rear bag for your rifle, use it to support your ranger.....rest it between the ears and see what happens.

For your rangefinding you'll need to brace it on something. You can use a tripod, a bag, lean against a pole, just use something steady. The other comments are spot on. There is a huge wealth of information here, and many people willing to help.
I began shooting over forty years ago, but I have made some amazing progress since finding this site. A lot of it was having to unlearn some bad habits I had picked up along the way. If you have a question, search the site first before asking as it has probably been answered several times before. But read read read! And then practice. Your groups will shrink as you start applying what you find here.
Welcome aboard. It's an addictive sport.

One note to a first time bolt shooter.

I don't know if you did or not, but you should clean the bore well before shooting the first time. The barrel comes with packing grease in it that will make the accuracy potential suck.

For someone new a Boresnake from Hoppes with some of their No 9 solvent is good. Read up on proper cleaning techniques if you are not familiar already and give the bore a good cleaning before your next range session and see what happpens.

Good luck.

tater

Snap some pics when you get a chance

Like Yasherka said, READ, READ, READ! I started out reading everything I could here in the forums to learn how to shoot the right way. I was set to garbage an old Rem700 when I started applying the techniques I had read about. In about 3-4 months my groups shrunk and continue to get better since I bought a newer stock Rem700 from a friend of mine. I still want to pay for the lessons here on the Hide... probably in the next few months. Great info everywhere!!!

I agree a lot with tater on cleaning. I have almost the identical setup of gun(Rem 700 ss 5r, nightforce 5.5-22X56, badger ordinance 20 moa base, nightforce ultra light rings, us optics cant indicator, etc). Even though you hardly find any copper fowling in the 5r barrel, its still very important to complete a proper break in. This rifle has been awesome for me. With my current loads I've average a .2 moa at 100 yards.

My 5r didn't start shooting good until it had 30-40 rounds down the pipe and then it would shoot great until 130ish rounds where fired then I would have to clean it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I invested a lot of money and time on this rifle over the past year and finally got it ready to shoot. It's a Remington 700 5r with a nightforce 5.5-22x56 scope.

Took some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo to zero at 100 yards today. Took me a whopping 12 rounds to zero! I was happy that it was so easy. After the initial 12, I was shooting 4 round shot groups at about 2 1/2 moa which made me very happy. I'm sure I'll get better, but yeah, I was very stoked to say the least! </div></div>

CONGRATULATIONS!! It sure is a fine accomplishment when one finally is able to break out their new rifle!!

Good job dialing in your groups too! As others have said, read READ READ!! I would also practice dry-firing at home(Make sure it is UNLOADED, when you're sure, check it AGAIN!!!!) Practice your breathing, mating finger to trigger, and gentle squeeze to the rear, click(or bang when you're live shooting!)

Find what is comfortable and what works, then make it consistant every time.

You've got a sweet setup. take care of it, and it'll take care of you! welcome to the sport!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 5r didn't start shooting good until it had 30-40 rounds down the pipe and then it would shoot great until 130ish rounds where fired then I would have to clean it again. </div></div>
Mine took about 15 shots before it settled down, then good for almost 200 rounds. Soon as accuracy dropped, I would clean it and back to shooting good again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 5r didn't start shooting good until it had 30-40 rounds down the pipe and then it would shoot great until 130ish rounds where fired then I would have to clean it again. </div></div>
Mine took about 15 shots before it settled down, then good for almost 200 rounds. Soon as accuracy dropped, I would clean it and back to shooting good again.</div></div>

I've always been worrisome with cleaning. Hell i shot 15 shots the last 2 days shooting groups and cleaned it thoroughly for about an hour. It's ok to let fouling sit in the bore for over 100 shots? I've just always been taught to clean frantically i guess.

Congrats on the 5R, its a great rifle. Mine shoots sub moa all day long as long as I do my job.

Get yourself a little .22lr like a cz 452 or something and work out your technique with it, the basics still apply and it is cheap as chips to run. Good luck, you have entered a wonderful world where everytime you shoot you will learn something new.

I agree completely. I still go back to my .22lr if I find myself shooting worse.

Just read all of your posts, thanks for the great information and criticisms!

As far as the rangefinder goes, I used a camera tripod on it when I took it out, it helps a lot, but even then, with no zoom, hitting a silouette target at 500+ yards must be a pain in the arse!

I did not know to clean the rifle before shooting it the first time, but I cleaned it for about 1 hour when I got it home until it was spotless. Going to shoot again most likely tomorrow!

I'll take a few pictures when I get out there!

Thanks everyone for all the great information! I'll definitely be a member of the training area asap. probably next payday!

You might keep in mind that when you clean during break in periods you NEED to remove carbon and copper fowling. It took me a while to understand that even though the barrel looked clean there was still fowling. I've found that a good borescope will help in that area.

complete newbie question

what's a borescope

A Borescope is a tool used for many things, I'm a mechanic so we use is to see inside the engine without actually taking it apart! Great idea right? Well in the shooting world it can't be used for inspecting chambers, throats, barrels, etc. They seem to make them for everyones budget too. As a basic description, a borescope is an optical device consisting of a rigid or flexible tube with an eyepiece on one end, an objective lens on the other linked together by a relay optical system in between.

And completely unnecessary for you. Buy more ammo, shoot the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And completely unnecessary for you. Buy more ammo, shoot the rifle.</div></div>

THANK YOU !!! Fieldman_.308 - just stop! J J Rawr - just go shoot your damn gun!

Clean it when your accuracy drops off which will be several boxes of ammo. If you have access to some Black Hills Match 175gr. Try a box or two. The 11.25" twist in the 5R Milspec loves it. Work on your trigger control; that will be your biggest challenge; especially with the 4# (or more) trigger pull your gun came with.

If you feel the need to spend money, (preferably AFTER you learn a little more control with a "bad" trigger pull) a trigger assembly should be your first purchase. I use Jewell; but others prefer Timney, Shilen, a re-worked "old-style" M700 trigger among others. Your opinion will vary as well.

Welcome to the hide. Enjoy your weakend bank account...

Sorry guys. Some people appreciate information, and others don't. Have fun!

Cool thanks for all the info guys! I went out and bought a boresnake to clean it with. Read mixed reviews, but overall most seem to think its safer on the barrel.

I just got back from putting another 32 rounds through it. It was a great experience. This time instead of going to a rifle range (it was closed for president's day) I took it out near some mountains in the desert in El Paso. Through the target up at 100 yards to put another 8 through to make sure my zero was still good. First shot was about .3 moa from the bullseye!
laugh.gif
Today my grouping got better than last time at 100. I shot 20 rounds and they were all in about 2 inches. I had a couple bad trigger pulls the last time out and had a few flyers, but today worked well.

After 20, I decided to try to get a zero at 150 yards for my logbook with my last 12 rounds. Got pretty close, but I was shooting at a downward slope of about 20 degrees i'd say, so I'm going to rezero at 150 next time the range is open. still was hitting within 3.5 moa shot groups.

On a plus note, I was in a HUGE wide open area so I got to test the rangefinder a bit more. I got the swarovski laser guide one. Anyways, first shot with it to a yellow road sign came out accurately 3 shots in a row at 1580 yards!!! Great rangefinder for anyone looking for one! Love this thing!

So yeah, gonna run this snake through it right quick a few times and try to get it clean again. What do you guys recommend for copper fowling? the guy at the gun store said i shouldn't really have to worry about that for a few hundred rounds, but I figured we had a few more experts on here. Thanks again!

There are a lot of products out there for copper fouling.I like Wipe Out foam.Easy to use and does a good job.Always use a good bore guide when cleaning with a rod.

Don’t over clean. You don’t need to use a brass brush every time. I use a nylon brush after I fire 100 rounds and a brass after 400. I always clean out the bore with a patchs and solvent after I shoot though.

that dude said not to use a rod to clean it and to use this bore snake. don't i need a rod to run patches? what's a good bore guide? sorry for the noob questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJ Rawr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">complete newbie question

what's a borescope </div></div>

It's a String / rope for cleaning the bore.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/24862/catid/16/Bore_Snake__40_cal__Pistol </div></div>

Whoops, read it wrong, thought he said boreSNAKE...

You should get VERY little copper fouling with your rifle since the lands in the rifling are rounded by design. That gun will stay "clean" for a long time.

My point to field_man was that he is a proponent of over-cleaning and "break in." Break in with today's alloys and machining is not needed to "season" a barrel and is basically obsolete. As far as a barrel looking clean, but leaving some fouling... great, there is some fouling! That is what you want. Hence the reason people clean their gun then take a "fouling shot." You don't want to shoot a spotless rifle as a fouled barrel (not a "dirty" barrel) shoots better. Generally your point of impact will be slightly different at 100 yards with a clean barrel compared to follow ups. This is magnified with distance. This is the thing that drives me insane at the range during hunting season. People come out we get their rifle sighted in as well as their equipment will allow... and then they go home and CLEAN IT! Usually they are back the next week after they missed thier deer.

When your accuracy drops off, then clean. On the rare occasion that I clean mine; I use a Lucas bore guide. IMO, they are the best unless you want to go high dollar and get a stainless benchrest guide. The delrin Dewey is also good and I believe you can find it at BassPro or Cabela's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should get VERY little copper fouling with your rifle since the lands in the rifling are rounded by design. That gun will stay "clean" for a long time.

My point to field_man was that he is a proponent of over-cleaning and "break in." Break in with today's alloys and machining is not needed to "season" a barrel and is basically obsolete. As far as a barrel looking clean, but leaving some fouling... great, there is some fouling! That is what you want. Hence the reason people clean their gun then take a "fouling shot." You don't want to shoot a spotless rifle as a fouled barrel (not a "dirty" barrel) shoots better. Generally your point of impact will be slightly different at 100 yards with a clean barrel compared to follow ups. This is magnified with distance. This is the thing that drives me insane at the range during hunting season. People come out we get their rifle sighted in as well as their equipment will allow... and then they go home and CLEAN IT! Usually they are back the next week after they missed thier deer.

When your accuracy drops off, then clean. On the rare occasion that I clean mine; I use a Lucas bore guide. IMO, they are the best unless you want to go high dollar and get a stainless benchrest guide. The delrin Dewey is also good and I believe you can find it at BassPro or Cabela's. </div></div>

this info helped me a lot! thanks man

I agree with what ricosrevenge is saying on potential over cleaning, and the funny thing is I've never done a barrel break-in by any manufactures standards. Not even my 5r remingtion, but I've seen a lot of rifles that were plaqued with poor accuracy no matter what load, and the only problem they had was severe copper fowling. That might not ever be so in this topic, because of the rifling design, but is common with new shooters. How do you recommend preventing this rico? How without someone taking a copper solvent to the gun can you prevent this? Or even control it if it progresses? This what off topic, and I apologize. The 700 ss 5r rifle is and has been awesome. I wish you the best with it! I shot mine out to 925 yards yesterday on steel and grouped about 3.5 inches! I still have a lot to learn, but this rifle makes a lot of things possible. Best groups to date was .19 moa! Again, good luck and have fun.

Congrats. I just got to try out my new Tikka T3 Scout this weekend. Took a few rounds to break in then the gun was easily outshooting me. I do have a question with regards to fouling though.

After about 40 rounds and a thorough cleaning and a "fouling shot" I noticed that accuracy dropped off after about 25 rounds. Should I be expecting more shots between cleanings in the future? Is this something that is common to the Tikka rifles?