• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Shot out barrels for test work with lathe

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
A friend of mine is taking his gunsmith classes and is looking for a few shot out barrels to cut up and use as test material with his lathe. I thought I'd but some feelers out there to anyone that could help this man out. You can look his facebook page up as Ammo Dump in Clanton, AL. His a small town guy with his shop a little over a year old. If you can help post here and sent me a PM.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: Shot out barrels for test work with lathe

No one has any this young man could use. He'd pay shipping for some. They could be shorter pieces of bar stock he's trying to learn to cut threads, chambers, and crowns. I know someone has something he could use.

Or if anyone has any ideas of where to pickup something close for him to learn on let me know.

Ken

I'll check in the shop. I think I have a couple of old Remington 700 pull-offs.

CHRIS

He could use some Cold Roll for practice and its cheap

Just looked up some cold form and talked to a local smith. He said cold rolled steel or PVC rod would work and be more forgiving if he makes a mistake. Going to talk with him this afternoon and see what he thinks about ordering a 6' stick of both.

Thanks guys,
Ken

Order up some 12L14, its free machining and will provide good learning experience try to avoid CR1018 it sucks to machine. If you can't find 12L14, 1144 Stressproof machines well too.

I get stuff at a local steel yard pretty cheap. Sometimes they'll have cutoffs and stuff that I get for next to nothing.

Steel supply cos. ask em for drops. Scrap yards are another great source, you wont get certs but you can often times buy material that is of known type. I picked up some 1 1/4" od drops of 17-4 recently 1.50 a pound

I hate to derail this thread but, I have heard that barrel maunufacturers have cast out barrels. These barrels don't meet spec ect. and are recycled. I would be willing to pay for the shipping at least to have these as a resource for practice chambering ect.

I know my Smiths had crap loads of fact Rem brrls, I had one taken off and he said he'd put it in the pile of the rest.