• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shot timers?

Dynamic Response

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
Illinois
Hey guys I'm looking to get a new shot timer. I am a firearms instructor and will be using it a lot so needless to say I want a good one with a lot of features. I need it to be accurate, reliable, loud siren adjustable delay etc.

What do you recommend?

I've been using the CED7000. I've only used it for 5 hours at a time so you might run into battery problems. It has a rechargeable battery.

+1 for the CED7000. Ive never had issues with it running out at matches or range sessions. In addition to the onboard batteries, I purchased the spare battery pack that takes AAA baterries as well. Its fairly cheap... Anyway, the CED is great.

I have a CED 7000, and recommend it, I only charge it with the AAA battery pack, mine is 3-4 years old and stills works perfectly, I have been eyeballing the new CED Shotmaxx for training.

I shoot and ro Uspsa. For matches and my practice time I've got both the competition electronics and the ced 7000. I like them both. The ced does more but I don't even use a lot of the options. They both have all of the options I've needed. They both are loud. The ced is a beep and the compelec is a buzz. The buzz seems to last a hair longer.
The ced is small and doesn't have any clips to attach to your pocket. It has a lanyard for around your neck of you can buy accessories to attach it in various places. It's easy to get mixed up on how to review. It can be complicated.
The compelec is big and fairly easy to use. It has a clip on it to attach to your belt. It uses regular disposable batteries.

I like them both but find I use the ced more often.

Hey guys I'm looking to get a new shot timer. I am a firearms instructor and will be using it a lot so needless to say I want a good one with a lot of features. I need it to be accurate, reliable, loud siren adjustable delay etc.

What do you recommend?
Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II I find is the easiest to use. It's our best selling timer.

CED 7000. I like it but what I hate about it is having to flip it up to see the readout. I'd get the pocket pro II if I were buying again. Simple to use and you can look down to read it without having to adjust it.

+1 For the CED 7000. I've been using it for about a year for both USPSA and precision shooting and it has served me well

I use a Pact Club Timer. I like the simplicity of operation. I can focus on what I'm practicing on and not trying to remember how to operate the timer.

I like the Pocket Pro II as well for several reasons including that it is easy to read with the display facing upward, clips onto your belt or bag easily, and is very loud.
It is extremely reliable, and even with few control buttons it is very simple to setup either normal use or par time mode.

On the other hand, the CED 7000 has some nice features including ability to broadcast to a remote timer display, and a quiet option for doing dry fire practice (you're not wearing ear pro). The CED will also slip into a pocket easily.

How hard is it to read the displays on the CED 7000 or the pocket pro II? I've got it narrowed down to both of these timers and need help deciding between them. AZ sun is a real SOB.