• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Shotgun Course Setup. 590 Style revisited.

I have a "new" issue one but I need an OG. Because, it answers the questions....

What is the bayonet made of?
What is the purpose of the bayonet?
What makes the grass grow?

Oh the days of my mis spent youth, how I miss thee.

As long as the added weight to the inertia bolt cycling Benelli's is LESS than the bolt weight it will usually function fine. Also, the inertia bolts are sensitive to inadequate butt stock support to function properly.
Agree. Great write up. I found that the comp was the issue for me. M1 would function with either or just not both.

Some have alluded to shotgun setups for comp vs defense; it'd be cool to see pics. I'm always open to learning new things.

Reactions: Halfnutz
@strikeeagle1 What is your opinion on the M-Carbo trigger spring kit?

Ran across the Streamlight TL Racker, anyone use one?
I have other Streamlight and Surefire lights, Surefire is my preference but the Streamlight have lasted just fine. The TL Racker looks decent, doesn't entail removing the bayonet lug, and is priced about $200 less than the Surefire. It does give up functions such as the hi/low option, and the "flash" mode is less user friendly. Reviews say the TL is brighter, but not as much perifial light.

The M-carbo is a good consideration. Drops the trigger pull 3.4-1 lb.....of course with shotguns a low trigger pull is not usually desirable, and since the operator has cheek weld and forearm support you can slap the trigger and get away with it regarding accuracy. I also used it in this Mossberg 590 Shockwave .410 (my critter gitter). For home defense I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with it.
IMG_9575Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 gauge MCarbo Installation copy.jpg
IMG_9576Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 gauge MCarbo Installation copy.jpg
IMG_9577Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 gauge MCarbo Installation copy.jpg
IMG_9578Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20 gauge MCarbo Installation copy.jpg
IMG_3845 copy 3 Annotated copy.jpg
IMG_5260 copy.jpg

The M-carbo is a good consideration. Drops the trigger pull 3.4-1 lb.....of course with shotguns a low trigger pull is not usually desirable, and since the operator has cheek weld and forearm support you can slap the trigger and get away with it regarding accuracy. I also used it in this Mossberg 590 Shockwave .410 (my critter gitter). For home defense I wouldn't want to be shot in the face with it.View attachment 7818563View attachment 7818564View attachment 7818565View attachment 7818566View attachment 7818568View attachment 7818569

My 590 is 30 years old but not used a lot. The springs are probably just fine but I figure I'd replace them any way. I am not looking for a significant reduction in trigger pull. I'd be happy with around 5-6 lbs. I've also got an Wolff xp magazine on the way.
I'm getting pretty anxious to get it back from Vang Comp to get all the other stuff done (TL Racker, GG&G sling swivels, springs, and patterning).
My class is in August so I should have plenty of time.

I'm getting pretty anxious to get it back from Vang Comp to get all the other stuff done (TL Racker, GG&G sling swivels, springs, and patterning).
Vang Comp profiles the muzzle for a 32 MOA pattern; 8" @ 25 yards. All the pellets on the target but a few on the edge; a lot of .30 caliber
pellet accountability down range.

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 6.55.50 AM.png

Last edited:
@strikeeagle1

Just so you know you are a bad influence.
I happened across a 590 shockwave at the LGS.
Considering a Mesa Tactical grip/buffer tube conversion with an SB Brace.

Form 1 SBS that bitch and put on a proper stock. It just feels good in the hands.

Form 1 SBS that bitch and put on a proper stock. It just feels good in the hands.
Would love too, unfortunately my F'd up state (IL) doesn't allow such things. No SBS, SBR, Suppressor, etc. But we are trying to fix that.

The Mossberg safety on top and the slide release do not lend themselves to a pistol grip set up like the Rem Tac14, but I'm sticking with the Shockwave anyway.

• Sad
Reactions: E. Bryant
So I built a thing...
20220329_170651.jpg

Mossberg 590 Shockwave 12ga
Mesa Tactical adapter.
SBA4 Brace
Streamlight TL Racker forend
Vang Comp SS flower and oversize safety
M Carbo trigger spring kit.
Pic rail with Vortex Viper Red dot (Not pictured)
Shoten Armory extended slide release.
Esstac shot cards
Also since the buffer tube was empty space I added a 23 oz SS piece of bar stock (6.25in x1in) for both balance and recoil reduction.
Very pleasant to shoot with reduced recoil loadings.

Today I shot Federal Personal Defense copper plated 00buck and Federal Tactical 00buck out to 25/27 yards as shown below. I am super stoked and amazed at the patterns both of these loads turned in. Im really not seeing single pellets until 10 yards. The blue dot aiming points are about 3/4 inch. I shot 2 at 25 on the first target below, one centered and one left just to see how it would repeat. Federal Truball slugs shot exceptional as well.
20220403_164500.jpg
20220403_140358.jpg

I am beyond happy with how this little project turned out.
With performance like this I'm hesitant to send the barrel to Vang Comp.

Last edited:
Six and a half months later I got her back.
One extra thing I had them do was to cut the Speedfeed stock to accept a Magpul Para loop.
They did as I asked and did a good job of it. Unfortunately, I don't like it at all. Either side I put it on gets in the way. I'll be going back to conventional swivels.

20220829_183533.jpg
20220829_183333.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Anb618 and DustBun
Try the Noveske swivel through the side of the stock.

Try the Noveske swivel through the side of the stock.

I'll have to take the speed feed apart again to see if there is room.

I already ordered some of these to try.

Love the 590A1.
This thread, and your Shockwave specifically, has had me itching to buy a 590S Shockwave, adding the Mesa Tac conversion/SB brace, and run Aguilla mini-shells.
8+1 capacity in a Shockwave package is pretty appealing…

Reactions: Halfnutz
Love the 590A1.
This thread, and your Shockwave specifically, has had me itching to buy a 590S Shockwave, adding the Mesa Tac conversion/SB brace, and run Aguilla mini-shells.
8+1 capacity in a Shockwave package is pretty appealing…

I bought a rubber thingy to try but haven't picked up any mini's to try it out.

The shockwave I did does get alot of love from those that have tried it. Let me know how yours turns out 😏

I bought a rubber thingy to try but haven't picked up any mini's to try it out.

The shockwave I did does get alot of love from those that have tried it. Let me know how yours turns out 😏
Big dreams, limited budget. We’ll see. 😂

Post course update.

Class was at the Site in northern IL, and was presented by Spartan Tactical Training Group.

Great class, great facility with meals and lodging available. Beautiful Indian summer weather.

Brief, pattern, sight in slugs, then into manipulation, drills,transitions, testing, etc.

Takeaways. A shot gun will find and exploit every weak link in its construction. Recoil made my heat shield slip forward causing the forend to short stroke and not feed a shell. This was not readily apparent and I was slamming the forend as hard as I could to get it to feed and even then it would fail. Eventually I saw my newly fucked up cerakote where the heatsheild should have been. Lesson learned. If you have ever seen an LE or security Mossberg in a 3rd world country you now know what I expect mine to look like in the future. We did run long enough strings to heat things up, but outside of that the heat shield just looks cool. Looks cool at least until your shit is fucking up because of it.

Another guys red dot died, not sure what brand.

Esstac shell card (velcro shell holders) FTW. Make sure to clean and prep your reciever for the sticky back loop piece. Also bring extra loop side for your gun for when you go to change a card and the whole thing rips off, it will never stick again.

Shell cards of different color for different loads could help.

Dump pouch for loose shells- YES.

Dump pouch for 5 loaded shell cards behind your back- NO, male/male velcro is gay and your shit will stick together when you don't want it too. I say "Fuck" a lot and try to seperate them by flinging them, resulting in both of them being on the ground. A mag holder works great for them otherwise.

When servicing your shotgun near tall grass, make sure you hold the mag cap like your life depended on it. A Wolff extra power spring will reinforce this concept. I learn everything the hard way.

Bennelli M4 is over rated. There were 5 in class, 3 Berreta 1301s, a Vang Comp 870, and my Vang Comp'd 590.
Bennelli is ammo sensitive. 2 of the 5 were Taran Tactical models, the one that ran well had the TT springs removed and the factory spring reinstalled. 1301's ran well, still cumbersome to single load and shoot. If you are 3 gunning and practicing, sure run an auto. I'm sticking with the Mossy.

No matter which you run, you need to train to proficiency, The pump was just easier IMO. Autos miss really fast. Misses are slow as fuck when you are combat loading to make up for it.
Don't out run your sight picture...pump or auto.

I was set on a speed feed stock. Now not so much. Juice ain't worth the squeeze and my sling options were more limited.
Instructor switched me from a bottom mounted magpul MS1 to a Sling Systems sling. It allowed me more movement in order to support the gun and tac load(mag load). Unfortunately Sling Systems is defunct. Fortunately the instructor sold me his last one NIB for $40.

Great weekend.