• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Shotgun hunting hog.

bkrush

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2013
Fort Sill/Lawton, Oklahoma
So here on fort sill we are able to shoot at hogs with anything smaller than buck shot. Certain areas allow slug but most of post doesnt. I've been getting mixed answers searching around on the Internet. Just looking for a shot choke combo that has worked for some of you. Thanks in advance.

That shotgun only rule is ridiculous. To kill a pig with a shotgun using buck shot effectively the range must be less than 50 yards.

I've not used it on hog, yet. but look at the Hevi-shot "T" shot Dead Coyote. In 3 or 3 1/2" lengths. Carlson makes a choke specifically for it, but any double xx full will give you some pretty insane penetration/distance for a shotgun. It ain't cheap, but in a 3" shell there are 50 T shot, which is just smaller than buck but larger than BB.

I wouldn't hesitate too use it if I stumbled into some hogs on a predator hunt.

Good luck with it and Knock 'em dead.

Cheers,
Breeze

They must love their hogs on Fort Sill, because even with buckshot a pig still has a chance to run off and bleed(and/or breed) later.

I shot at a good pack of razorbacks(They were as close to the school logo as I saw it, just in black and gray). Ran straight through my buckshot. Didn't stop at all. Sunset came before I could track them down, and that ended my day. I found their bones the next day thinking that I didn't hit any of them, I did, it didn't stop them. Shotgun was a Mossberg 935, the turkey model in Mossy Oak Obsession(not a bad gun), shotshells were 00 buck in a 3 1/2 inch magnum shell.

For a shotgun I won't recommend anything less than 000 buck, but I will say that you completely skip the buck and just go straight to slugs. I know you just spoke of the legalities, this is my overall personal opinion.

Buckshot, and anything less is worthless on a hog, in my opinion. For something that size, with their ability to move after being shot, you're looking for quick, clean kills with as big a bullet as you can get. You need power plus penetration.

I will let you on to a little secret. Bows. They're was a guy I knew of who hunted in a different area then all the other hunters who carried firearms around, and he only carried a bow.

He was taking 2 hogs a week.

My best advices, hunt the areas you can use slugs. I hunt pigs for a living and have watched them run off after taking several body shots from .30 cal weapons, if you can't hit it in the head, or guarantee a both lung shot, you are just wasting ammo on something you won't find.

We use what ever the cheapest buckshot is and a benelli with a full choke from the helicopter. I works great. Aim for the head.

Thanks For all the responses. The only reason i asked that was because it seems that the areas that are Slug only are pretty popular and a little crowded so was looking to branch out.

We have had no problem killing hogs with buck shot. Setup like a bow and get a full choke. It you shoot them in the head like a turkey they fold up. Put another in their face for good measure.