• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Shotgun Scope?

tommyc279

Minuteman
Feb 10, 2010
Haslett Michigan
I went a little crazy last week and had a H&R Ultra Slug Hunter custom built. It started as Laminated Ultra Slug Hunter, and then I sent if off to a smith who works on these slug guns. The barrel will be cut, fluted, crowned and the chamber re-throated. The laminate stock will have a pillar and be glass bedded. The trigger will be reworked to around a crisp two pounds. A new low profile hammer will be installed for easier scope mounting. He is also installing a custom built scope base that uses five screws and has 5MOA. Now the problem, the one piece base is using 1" rings. I don't have a 1" scope but I figured to give one a try. It needs to be clear, precise adjustments, exposed turrets and able to withstand a slug gun recoil. I would appreciate some help finding the best possible 1" scope for this application. This is a deer hunting gun but I love everything to be accurate out to the effective range of the gun. I really want the top magnification to be at least 8. Thanks Tom

I have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 mod 1 that has mil dot reticle and mil adjustments. I like it a lot for the price. Mine has 18.2 mils of adjustment. The knobs are very low-profile and have decent clicks. Really smooth magnification ring. Leupold build quality and great warranty if you have trouble. These are also usable with the Leupold Custom Dials made to your specs.
I think these may be a little more robust that the other great 1" mil/mil scope; the Weaver midway 3-10x40, and Leupold CS and warranty is better. You can get illumination, which is done right with the Firedot system. A few different reticle options available.

Havent gone magnified on my Shotties yet. I had an Eotech on my 1187, sold that, now waiting on my Micro H-1 to come in on a Larue mount.

Plus one on the Leupold Scopes. I put one on my 522. MarkAR 6-18x40.

The slugs that I hear other people recommend are.... They start with a B. I'll find out for ya in a sec. Ah found it, Brenneke. Not sure which specific load but they report pretty good accuracy at range.

By googlefu there appears to be some slug specific scopes:

SCOPES

I use RMR reddot sights on both my Benelli M4 and Super Nova and find them to be accurate and durable and take out your eye with the recoil. I think you over thought this a bit!!!!

Good read here:

Iowa Cold, Nikon M-223 on a 12 Gauge, Filled Tags, Butchery, and Food on RiflescopeBlog.com

Used a M223 2-8x scope on his H&R slug gun. Filled some tags with it. 2-8x magnifcation, lightweight, and exposed turrets. People think its only for a "223 cartridge" Not the case at all. Ive used it on 22's, 223's, 308's, and as you can see here, its used on a 12 ga. slug

Nikon M-223 2-8x32 Riflescope w/ BDC 600 Reticle FREE S&H 8486, 8486-DMO, 8487. Nikon M-223 AR15 Accessories, Nikon M-223 Rifle Scopes, Nikon AR15 Rifle Scopes.

Trevor B.