• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I Be Worried?

It’s funny reading these threads,

OP: I have a barrel 20 weeks behind. Is it worth the wait

Guy helping: Who is doing the work? That makes the difference on quality you’ll get and how reliable they are

OP: I won’t say

This thread is over. Good luck with your barrel

This is 20% of SH, always has been, always will.

Reactions: pwc001
There is a reason you buy from PVA. It's not because they have a reputation for fast turnaround. Be patient. Your barrel will hammer.
I think that's a load of horseshit. PVA is not the only game in town. Life is too short to be treated like shit from a business. There are lots of builders with outstanding customer service that won't fuck you around and also build you a "hammer". I read several threads regarding similar shit like this from PVA and they were before all this covid crap so that excuse is null and void as far as I am concerned.

I'm entering week 4 of waiting for an "in stock" prefit from them. This thread is not giving me hope.
Ordered mine on Dec. 8, 2020 from an "in stock" page on their website. That page also advised "no back orders". Still waiting. There was no response to my first inquiry, they answered my second inquiry promptly. They stated where the barrell was in production, that it had been cut and crowned and was awaiting finishing. Joe related it was still within the the quoted time frame of 6-8 weeks and was due to be completed by the end of Feb. What time frame, the page said instock? He also offered "rush" services for an additional cost".

Seems like the "in stock " page ain't really true. I passed on the additional cost offer and will wait it out. The two other barrels I have purchased from them are real shooters but I am going to look long and hard at other suppliers before I buy again.

Ordered mine on Dec. 8, 2020 from an "in stock" page on their website. That page also advised "no back orders". Still waiting. There was no response to my first inquiry, they answered my second inquiry promptly. They stated where the barrell was in production, that it had been cut and crowned and was awaiting finishing. Joe related it was still within the the quoted time frame of 6-8 weeks and was due to be completed by the end of Feb. What time frame, the page said instock? He also offered "rush" services for an additional cost".

Seems like the "in stock " page ain't really true. I passed on the additional cost offer and will wait it out. The two other barrels I have purchased from them are real shooters but I am going to look long and hard at other suppliers before I buy again.
Correction ordered Dec. 28, 2020. My error.

Isn't this the same outfit from the "John Hancock" shitshow?

Did those rifles ever get delivered?

Missed deadlines by 20% are unsat. Missed deadlines by over 100% are intolerable. If you put up with people who do that then you're an idiot.

I would love to try one of Josh’s barrels. Damn near ordered one after a conversation with him a couple weeks ago. He was upfront about the extended lead times. Only thing that stopped me was a worry of a shitshow that’s way over quoted time. I’m my business we don’t miss deadlines by double and I don’t tolerate it in my personal life.

Reactions: RRW and 308pirate

So basically "in stock" is a total lie and you and I are going to end up waiting months anyways.

I just wish suppliers/smiths would quote realistic lead times, and if that time passes a simple communication addressing it would be nice. I probably wouldn't have ordered this barrel from PVA if I had known that "in stock" was a lie and I'd be months out, but here I am having paid for it already and facing a wait of months.

I would not worry, this shit is ass backwards upside fucking down right now. Blame the covid supply chain issues. Every single entity involved in the process of your whatever is dealing with whatever obstacles they have to navigate based on where they are located and how many people within a mile of them are drinking the kool aid!!!!
Hi,

Not completely true!!

1. Industry in general will only keep getting away with the "Covid" excuse as long as you (the customers) keep allowing it. Can you imagine if the stores kept using Covid as the excuse of having no TP just because their purchasing and accounting department did not want to order or pay for it right now.

2. There are no other entities involved with "in stock" items. There are some consumables used that will cause delays but that would fall onto the shop to handle planning/purchasing properly..not the reamer mfg fault.

3. For some reason the customers in this industry seem to have a high percentage coming down with what is essentially Stockholm Syndrome, lolol.
From "O the wait is worth it" to the "But their CS treated me great with my 10 replacement", lol

Sincerely,
Theis

Isn't this the same outfit from the "John Hancock" shitshow?

Did those rifles ever get delivered?

Missed deadlines by 20% are unsat. Missed deadlines by over 100% are intolerable. If you put up with people who do that then you're an idiot.

Hi,

Well that one wasn't entirely all their fault though.
How much was each others (them, action mfg, etc) fault nobody will ever know the entire truth but there is a lot behind the scenes of that one.

Sincerely,
Theis

I think that's a load of horseshit. PVA is not the only game in town. Life is too short to be treated like shit from a business. There are lots of builders with outstanding customer service that won't fuck you around and also build you a "hammer". I and they were before all this covid crap so that excuse is null and void as far as I am concerned.
Yes, but. PVA are also not the new guys in town. They have a history. You read several such threads regarding PVA, and make an assessment. Same history was also available to the OP, he bought from them anyway. His choice to do so, for whatever reason, and his choice to worry. IMO given their history, what can one reasonably expect? 1) likely extended time to delivery, and 2) likely high quality barrel. "Buy the ticket, take the ride."

How far over a lead time would you be worried? I haven't been living under a rock and realize Covid has shaken up a lot of people's timelines. I am currently at 10 weeks over the given lead time on a barreled action. Honestly that part doesn't bother me, what does is I have received no communication back. I've sent 2 emails asking for an update. Haven't received a reply to either. Am I in the right to be worried or am I turning into THAT customer?
Update: Just got off the phone with Joe at PVA. He appears to be overwhelmed repeatedly advising me of the current turmoil in the industry. He claimed he wasn't aware of the issue with the page that offered a discount while also stating a targeted shipping time of one week. Joe appears to have one foot in production and another in customer service. He will bring the issue to Josh's attention and hopefully get that web page straightened out. I am glad to see that others interpreted like me.

It appears to me they are woefully understaffed. An employee handling customer service should be totally aware of the companies web offerings. I was told my barrel is near completion, we shall see.

I mentioned before my two other Rock Creek prefit barrels from them are both shooting in the mid 3's with handloads and a shakey old man on the trigger. Will I order from them again is another question, maybe not. Gotta go by the VA and see if I can get some medication for my "idiocy" issue before I do.

Update: Just got off the phone with Joe at PVA. He appears to be overwhelmed repeatedly advising me of the current turmoil in the industry. He claimed he wasn't aware of the issue with the page that offered a discount while also stating a targeted shipping time of one week. Joe appears to have one foot in production and another in customer service. He will bring the issue to Josh's attention and hopefully get that web page straightened out. I am glad to see that others interpreted like me.

It appears to me they are woefully understaffed. An employee handling customer service should be totally aware of the companies web offerings. I was told my barrel is near completion, we shall see.

I mentioned before my two other Rock Creek prefit barrels from them are both shooting in the mid 3's with handloads and a shakey old man on the trigger. Will I order from them again is another question, maybe not. Gotta go by the VA and see if I can get some medication for my "idiocy" issue before I do.
I am getting emails that the page the OP and I ordered from is being updated. I am too busy to check. Gotta take of more important things in my life. Hope everybody has a great weekend and gets out to shoot little bullets, long distances, at high speeds into small targets. I'm gonna try.

I am getting emails that the page the OP and I ordered from is being updated. I am too busy to check. Gotta take of more important things in my life. Hope everybody has a great weekend and gets out to shoot little bullets, long distances, at high speeds into small targets. I'm gonna try.
Assuming you're talking about the "in stock barrel nut prefits" it says a number of things right now. First, it says no backorders, and since when other stuff on the website is OOS they remove the option to add it to your cart, so the implication here (and from the "in stock" naming) is that they're really in stock and available since you can add them to your cart.

So, what are they saying now on that page?

We will be making a limited quantity each month and when they're in stock, they ship immediately.
But wait!
targeted to ship within 1 week of the order being placed
... or it might be longer
orders placed during sales may take 3-4 weeks
...or even longer than that
Note: Lead time is approximately 6- 8 weeks

So yeah, these "in stock" barrels that they don't take backorders for are available for immediate shipment, or within a week, or 3-4 weeks, or approximately 6-8 weeks. Fucking ridiculous.

Yes, but. PVA are also not the new guys in town. They have a history. You read several such threads regarding PVA, and make an assessment. Same history was also available to the OP, he bought from them anyway. His choice to do so, for whatever reason, and his choice to worry. IMO given their history, what can one reasonably expect? 1) likely extended time to delivery, and 2) likely high quality barrel. "Buy the ticket, take the ride."
Sounds like you are condoning their behavior and giving them a free pass on pathetic customer service because they have a "history" Not a history I would be proud of and the fact that it appears to continue speaks volumes about their ethics. Throwing it on the op's shoulders is a cop out as well, it should be the other way around and PVA should be bending over backwards to right the ship but obviously not.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Depends....is it a company operation or just one man? 30yrs ago I ordered a product,after 6 wks I remembered and called,he said not yet,I said why not-he said-why did you buy my product?...Because I was told it's the best......Okay,I'll mail it when it's the best...Got 3 wks later and yes it was....I'll accept a long lede with a 1 man operation but not a CAD CAM company.

Hi,

Not completely true!!

1. Industry in general will only keep getting away with the "Covid" excuse as long as you (the customers) keep allowing it. Can you imagine if the stores kept using Covid as the excuse of having no TP just because their purchasing and accounting department did not want to order or pay for it right now.

2. There are no other entities involved with "in stock" items. There are some consumables used that will cause delays but that would fall onto the shop to handle planning/purchasing properly..not the reamer mfg fault.

3. For some reason the customers in this industry seem to have a high percentage coming down with what is essentially Stockholm Syndrome, lolol.
From "O the wait is worth it" to the "But their CS treated me great with my 10 replacement", lol

Sincerely,
Theis
Just to clairify, neither Joe nor Josh nor anyone else at PVA said the word covid even one time to me. I was just pointing out that there are many delays in everything these days, some raw materials, some government bullshit. As I said, they got my barrel done in time( the blank is Rock Creek) a Wisconsin company. They seem to have had their stuff together.

I am not defending or defaming, just saying I had a good experience with them.

Sounds like you are condoning their behavior and giving them a free pass on pathetic customer service because they have a "history" Not a history I would be proud of and the fact that it appears to continue speaks volumes about their ethics. Throwing it on the op's shoulders is a cop out as well, it should be the other way around and PVA should be bending over backwards to right the ship but obviously not.
Nope, I'm saying OP took a decision, with an arguably predictable trajectory, but it's not exactly a disaster, and I expect he will enjoy some delayed gratification.

Well this isn't confidence inspiring. Just ordered a barrel from them a couple weeks ago. 6-8 wks I can do but double that seems excessive. Guess we'll see.

Nope, I'm saying OP took a decision, with an arguably predictable trajectory, but it's not exactly a disaster, and I expect he will enjoy some delayed gratification.
Or just not deal with said company with a predictable trajectory. Deal with a reputable business that can provide an equal or superior product and enjoy shooting rather than get the run around for god knows how long. Life is too short for this bull shit.

Update for everyone. Got ahold of them through Instagram of all places. An email was sent shortly after about my order status. PVA is still waiting on receivers to finish my order. They did send a picture of my barrel and barrel tag so I know that is at least that part of my order is finished. An interesting point to add would be an email I found from Zermatt that I sent a day before I made an order through PVA. Zermatt quoted me a lead time of 10-14 weeks for an Origin. This info is from back in the middle of October.

Now I did hear some grumbling throughout the site about their slow times but I took that gamble. I almost snagged another barrel on that sale they had but am thankful I didn’t do that. For what it’s worth the communication I did receive was friendly enough.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Update for everyone. Got ahold of them through Instagram of all places. An email was sent shortly after about my order status. PVA is still waiting on receivers to finish my order. They did send a picture of my barrel and barrel tag so I know that is at least that part of my order is finished. An interesting point to add would be an email I found from Zermatt that I sent a day before I made an order through PVA. Zermatt quoted me a lead time of 10-14 weeks for an Origin. This info is from back in the middle of October.

Now I did hear some grumbling throughout the site about their slow times but I took that gamble. I almost snagged another barrel on that sale they had but am thankful I didn’t do that. For what it’s worth the communication I did receive was friendly enough.
FWIW, got an email this afternoon advising my order is complete and on its way. Is it just coincidence that I called yesterday to discuss the delay (ordered Dec 28, 2020) and suggest that the page on their website was misleading? You come to your own conclusion.

My barreled action was also built on an Origin. Same thing, it took forever,that is on Zermatt. The barrel was done within the quoted time, all good there.

Zermatt is definitely way behind, I wonder how other action mfg's are doing?

From updates I got from Joe, it sounded like PVA was getting Origin receivers one or two at a time. Not a dozen at a time like I would expect.

When I was planning this build, I was thinking a Defiance Tenacity. It WAS the sameish price as an Origin, then I checked Altus and they went up a few hundo. That made my decision easy, glad I made it. For a "budget" action, the Origin sure is an extremely nice action. For someone who has only had experience with factory hunting rifles and AR's, this action was pretty breathtaking.

Last edited:
Added to the list of scumbag, piece of shit companies to never order shit from, thanks.
^This seems a bit dramatic and excessive.

Fine if you don't want to order from one company or another due to innacurate lead times, etc, but 'scumbag' and 'piece of shit' ?

You sound like a fucking drama queen or you have an ulterior motive to your post.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi,

IMO NO company should think it is ok to post on social media accounts if they have emails and voicemails that have not been returned.
The "State of the Industry" needs to come to the realization that customers deserve better....bottom line!!!!!!!!

I have attempted to basically throw money (As a commercial entity no less, lol) to numerous entities in the industry over the past year.....it is a sad state of affairs.

Sincerely,
Theis
Jesus man I am so glad to see your posts. Seems the firearms industry accepts behavior that should simply be intolerable.

I hate unhappy customers, so I put a high priority on managing expectations. If I have a customer’s money they go to the front of the line. I guarantee a 24 hrs response and most often it is within an hour or two. If there are delays, I fall on proverbial bended knee and ramp up communication. I feel it’s the least I can do.

Last spring, I ordered a barrel and was told 10 -16 weeks. This was my 3rd barrel from this dealer. The other 2 had come in at around 10 weeks, albeit one with a slight wrong profile. No discount for that screw up. At 18 weeks it was clear we were headed for 20, so I called the dealer. “Well I told you 16 weeks” was the curt response. I said “wait right there. You told me 10-16 weeks and we are at 18 headed for 20 fast.” At that point there was no real projected date.

I ended up contacting the barrel company directly. They got me my barrel and made things right. Come to find out they knew nothing of my first barrel being the wrong profile. In the future I won’t use that dealer again and will just order direct. I doubt the dealer really cares.

Last edited:
1. Industry in general will only keep getting away with the "Covid" excuse as long as you (the customers) keep allowing it.
Yep and it’s not just the firearms industry on that one. Covid seems to be the blanket excuse for piss poor customer service these days, across the board.

Jesus man I am so glad to see your posts. Seems the firearms industry accepts behavior that should simply be intolerable.

I hate unhappy customers, so I put a high priority on managing expectations. If I have a customer’s money they go to the front of the line. I guarantee a 24 hrs response and most often ot is within an hour or two. If there are delays I fall on proverbial bended knee and ramp up communication. I feel it’s the least I can do.

Last spring, I ordered a barrel and was told 10 -16 weeks. This was my 3rd barrel from this dealer. The other 2 had come in at around 10 weeks, albeit one with a slight wrong profile. No discount for that screw up. At 18 weeks it was clear we were headed for 20, so I called the dealer. “Well I told you 16 weeks” was the curt response. I said “wait right there. You told me 10-16 weeks and we are at 18 headed for 20 fast.” At that point there was no real projected date.

I ended up contacting the barrel company directly. They got me my barrel and made things right. Come to find out they knew nothing of my first barrel being the wrong profile. In the future I won’t use that dealer again and will just order direct. I doubt the dealer really cares.
I have a short list of vendors that return calls/emails and actually help when I have a problem. Some of the bigger prestige names are not on that list. I always hear the excuse that everyone is so busy. Then it’s time to add an employee or two to improve throughput and communication. I refuse to deal with someone that won’t return a phone call.

As a change of pace, here's a few companies that deliver with excellent products AND customer service.

Altus Shooting
Bugholes.com
Zermatt
Red Hawk Rifles
Carbon Six
It's funny you mention Zermatt. If you read above, my PVA barreled action utilizes a Zermatt action. It is bad ass and I love it.

But.........................it seems that the delays at Zermatt are a huge part of the reason this thread was started in the first place, just saying.

My PVA experience was good, it took a long time but it was the action. If you really have dealt with Zermatt directly, you're experience must have been a good one.

It's all a matter of your perspective.

Reactions: Ubaderb
Yep and it’s not just the firearms industry on that one. Covid seems to be the blanket excuse for piss poor customer service these days, across the board.
No kidding! My doctor excused himself from (likely low-margin) follow up appt after my surgery "because of COVID". Skeet range won't let me walk out on empty field and test fire "new" (1939) 16 gauge Win Model 12 before trying to run a round of skeet with it "because of COVID". Pet store won't accept returns "because of COVID". Can't use the restroom at the restaurant I'm buying food from "because of COVID". Church can't let you in for service without an appointment "because of COVID". Tired of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holliday
Says PVA.....

I ordered an action from Zermatt in Oct 29th. Received payment instructions Jan 29th. And that's the first time I've ordered one directly from them. Usually I just pick up one in stock from Altus or Bugholes.

Why are you waiting on a barrel spinner to order an action? That's your problem. It's like guys that order Manners stocks from Manners and end up waiting 10 months. Sign up for an in stock notification at Altus and buy it in 3 months. By the time you order a stock, you're already 3 months in line behind a retailers revolving order.

Order the barrel from a prefit guy and buy the action where you can. Then screw them together. Hard to understand blaming Zermatt for this...

I'm not sure I'm understanding, I bought my set up as a barreled action PVA sells. I was not even aware anyone could buy directly from Zermatt, they are the manufacturer. That would be like showing up at Springfield Armory or Winchester to buy a gun. I always thought unless you were a distributor you couldn't buy factory direct?????? Same as showing up at Ford Motor Company in Michigan to buy a truck.

Ring the fuckers and ask for an update.
I rang a shop over east the other day about purchasing a chassis.
He casually told me, if it isn't in stock, 3 MONTHS or longer.
I just laughed, and told him I'll get a mate overseas to buy it local and post to me.
Then he tried to backtrack and blah,blah,blah.
Customer service is a rare thing now.
My local firearms dealer is Old School.
If they don't have it, they bust their arses sourcing one.
No bullshit, just results or honesty.

Says PVA.....

I ordered an action from Zermatt in Oct 29th. Received payment instructions Jan 29th. And that's the first time I've ordered one directly from them. Usually I just pick up one in stock from Altus or Bugholes.

Why are you waiting on a barrel spinner to order an action? That's your problem. It's like guys that order Manners stocks from Manners and end up waiting 10 months. Sign up for an in stock notification at Altus and buy it in 3 months. By the time you order a stock, you're already 3 months in line behind a retailers revolving order.

Order the barrel from a prefit guy and buy the action where you can. Then screw them together. Hard to understand blaming Zermatt for this...

Ha. My order date says October 14th. I was actually going to do that before I decided to go barreled action. Guess hindsight is really 20/20.

Hi,

IMO NO company should think it is ok to post on social media accounts if they have emails and voicemails that have not been returned.
The "State of the Industry" needs to come to the realization that customers deserve better....bottom line!!!!!!!!

I have attempted to basically throw money (As a commercial entity no less, lol) to numerous entities in the industry over the past year.....it is a sad state of affairs.

Sincerely,
Theis
100% agree. I had an AR upper company pull that crap on me. Wouldn't reply to text, email, or personal message. But was very active in Facebook groups and posting about what gun show they would be at next.

All in all took me months to get a working upper. Never again. Next time I'll get a charge back on my card and move on.