• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Should I get Zero stop option?

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
I'm going to be ordering a nightforce scope here soon and was wondering what benefit the zero stop option gives me? I read the NF website and it talks about an age old problem about losing your zero and that with the zero stop you can get back to zero with <span style="font-style: italic">FEEL</span>? How does that work? Please excuse my lack of knowledge on scopes as this will be my first scope purchase.I would hate to spend a butt load of cash and wish I spent the extra for the zero stop feature. So what d you guys say, is the zero stop worth it?

Re: Should I get Zero stop option?

By setting your zero stop, let's say at 100yds, you can dial up without having to count clicks in order to know where your zero is. The zero stop allows for dialing back down and stopping on your zero every single time without having to count how many clicks or revolutions you've turned the turret.

Yes, it's worth it.

I honestly don't understand why every scope with a target turret does not come with them.

After your zero is set, when dialing back down it hits a solid wall. The turret won't turn any more. You will know without a doubt that you're back at your zero. If you don't get one with ZS you'll regret it, spend the extra cash on one.

When you shoot long range and you go past "0" one time to get to your dope you can forget where you are so this way you can spin it down to your stop and know were you are.

So if my zero stop is set at 1000 yards (plan on shooting 1000-2000 yards) how would I dial down to a 600 yard shot if I hit a "wall" at 1000? Do I need to set the zero stop to the lowest range I would be shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if my zero stop is set at 1000 yards (plan on shooting 1000-2000 yards) how would I dial down to a 600 yard shot if I hit a "wall" at 1000? Do I need to set the zero stop to the lowest range I would be shooting? </div></div>

Your Zero Stop has to be set somewhere at or slightly below your closest range Zero.

So, in your scenario above, with a 1000yd Zero Stop, for a 600yd shot, you would have to Hold Under.

Not needed if it's primarily a hunting/field rig. If it's a target/practical shooter, I say yes.

I regret buying a NF 2.5-10x32 without ZS. The one time I used it to shoot out to 700+ was the only time it will be used that way. I can't tell you how pissed I was when I realized I had no idea which revolution I was on.

It's now sitting on a dedicated field rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I regret buying a NF 2.5-10x32 without ZS.</div></div>
+1 on that. I don't think it's necessary on a scope with a turn indicator, but the compact NXS turrets make it a necessity.

I had the Nightforce with the zero stop and hi-speed turrets (which give you more elevation per turret rotation). I never bothered to set the zero stop just because I could get to 1000 yards in less than one full turn (300 WSM).
I really miss that hi-speed turret!

Yes you can away with out a zero stop but as said they are really nice to have.

Have lost my zero once before, Gave up on my book and KNEW what line she was set on. Was it hard to recover from ? no but made me feel like an ass. Still have 2 non stop scopes, but I keep a card in my billfold with the bottom zero for both now.
You can live without it but the stop makes things alittle more easy.

IMO, the ZS is well worth it. Let someone shoot your rifle w/o a zero stop feature, and you are likely to find it returned to you at least a full revolution off. AMHIK. Easy enough to do on your own as well and a real pisser when it happens between range trips or when it really matters.

Here is what I suggest.
Know or guess the longest distance you will/might shoot, then check the trajectory of any caliber(s) and loads you may use. If this would require more than one full turn (20 MOA if high speed and MOA in Nightforce)then you would be foolish to not get Zero Stop. You are already spending a lot of coin on a quality product and it adds approx. $200.00 to a Nightforce. Not much more than 10% additional. If you ever were needing to sell it you should be able to get that extra $$ back. I would never consider buying a used one from you unless it had ZS.
My .02

IMO Yes, zero stops are well worth the $$.. I won't buy one without ZS.

Get it. You'll regret not buying one later on.

I'll go against the grain here and say its not really needed if just doing range work or hunting. I zeroed my turret on my NF and it's at the "1" on the turret. Not hard to remember.

If in a high stress low light situation I can understand the need.

Either way you can't go wrong. If you have room in the budget, go for it. If not, I don't think you're missing much in most situations.

I have a idea why not take the turret off and drill and tap it with a set screw. When u get your zero set the screw so the turret will not go down any further. Just a idea.

The zero stop is worth the cash. Even though it is too expensive for what it really is. It is so easy to just spin back until it stops and then you can go back up to what you want. There is no I have to come up 32 or what ever min to get to my zero.

With zero stop you can let who ever shoot your rifle and you do not have to worry about being a turn off if you can not see the rotation bars just go to zero and then to where you want.

Yes, get the zero stop. I was on the fence before I bought mine, well worth the cash.

-Matt

i wouldn't get a nightforce without a zero stop, unless i had a very specific reason, like a bores system or something like that. nice to be able to find your zero regardless of the situation. for instance, saturday night i was hunting, and it was too dark in the stand for me to see the turret, didn't want to turn on a light to spook the deer, but i could feel my zero stop. another situation, you have your eye in the scope, you can go back to your zero without taking your eye out of the scope. another thing i've done is set my zero stop at my short zero, 200 yards, then i'll set my visible zero on the turret for a long zero, like 500 yards, during the day, i want to make a long shot, i set it on the zero, it starts to get late, visibility goes down, i move it down to the physical zero i can feel.

I use my NF With ZS for sport shooting and hunting, can't tell how nice it is to be in your stand, it's dark and zero out your scope and set your dope for a shot before its day light. Very handy.

Heck I took a fine point red sharpie and marked the line at my zero on both, I know it aint real high tech and some would never draw on a scope . But it kept me from forgeting how many lines from the bottom my zero was. Thanks for the info.

just a FYI, you can "make" most scope into a zero stop...

add a small drop of hit glue at the base of the turret for it to bottom out ageist..

I think zero stop should be a standard, but without it I just marked the scope with a paint pen, works well. If I want to remove it, a q-tip with acetone takes it right off.