• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I sell everything I own for a DTA!?!?!?

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
Are DTA's that awesome? They sure look like it... I figure I could sell my AR and my $1,000 10/22 and get me a nice set up goin on....

likely need more than that :)

But I think its worth it to sell a few different bolt guns, and just have one with a superior optic - then just change barrels...

I would keep the gas gun (you at least need a carbine or battle rifle IMHO).

Well ... that's a difficult question to answer. Are you a "Bolt Action" kind of guy??? Do you prefer extreme accuracy over volume of shots? Are you a patient person and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn the art of precision shooting?

Get behind one first, if you can. Some people just have this instinctual aversion to them once they get behind them, not many, but enough to bring it up. Personally, I love the ergonomics and within a year or so of buying mine I sold off most of my other bolt guns. These days I'm running the best scope I could get on the chassis along with 5 different conversion kits. It's a remarkable system.

im with them guys above.. coming from someone loving precision shooting i always keep gas gun and one shot gun owell pistol aswell..i still have 2 tactical 223 one service rifle and one precision grendel..and several custom bolt action..guess what those 3 ARs are high end build and unbreak in! but i aint gonna sell it for high end BA..save your money unless you got 10 AR then its ok to sell few:)

It depends what kind of shooting you want to do and how much you want to keep the other rifles. I don't know if anyone "needs" an AR outside of a battlefield. That being said if you ever needed a self defense weapon, the DTA wouldn't be much good. Guns are pretty liquid if you buy used. If you'd rather have something else go ahead and sell and make sure you get a deal good enough that you can get most of your money back if you decide to buy something else.

In a word, No.

They are a neat gun, but not enough to sell all your other guns. I got so enamored with the thought of one, I sold my AI AWSM (which I should have been shot for doing so) and bought one. The size and caliber changes are awesome, but I could never get comfortable behind it. I did have a few problems with the gun, which DTA did take care of for me.

I agree with Dogtown about getting behind one.

Agreed, don't sell your other stuff unless you would still own one of each category. (ps. I've never seen or used a DTA, so no advise there. AI all the way for me.)

Preferably everyone should own:
- .22 rifle (I'd go for a bolt-gun though, for reliability)
- handgun
- semi-auto rifle
- reliable and accurate bolt gun

I would advise to obtain them in the above order, possibly switching the handgun and the semi according to preference.

Get behind one first, if you can. Some people just have this instinctual aversion to them once they get behind them, not many, but enough to bring it up. Personally, I love the ergonomics and within a year or so of buying mine I sold off most of my other bolt guns. These days I'm running the best scope I could get on the chassis along with 5 different conversion kits. It's a remarkable system.

This was the case with me. I got behind and shot one at a school a while back and I was not impressed. Just wasnt a good fit for me.

I've demo'd my gun at a number of shoots and found that not everyone likes them though most do. I'd not trade mine for any other bolt gun I can think of . Having 4 different barrels/cals I can choose from with only one scope, trigger pull and stock setup to get used to makes it simple. I only need 2 suppressors to cover the lot of them as well. One 50 cal for the 510 and the 338 which is good for the 338 Lapua mag, the 338BR, 6.5X47 lapua and any of the others I could use the rifle for.....Saves a lot of cash that would otherwise go for different scopes and cans. I'm in eastern indiana and if you're close you're welcome to run a few rounds through mine.

Frank

I wouldn't do it.

Having shot a friends DTA, they are neat and accurate + if you suppress it, it's a very compact package. In the long run, variety is a spice of life.
My friend who owns the DTA, started with the DTA, but now have multiple AR-15s. LOL.

Would I sell my guns to buy a dta? Not unless it's a bolt gun which is exactly what I did. Sold my 700 in aics and saved up the rest to buy a covert a1. The thing is pretty damn awesome. While I'm not used to it yet I have the time and patience to learn. Like others have said. The idea of one optic and 1 trigger pull make it ideal. Right now I only have it in .308 but I plan on getting .300 wm and either .260 or 6.5 lapua. In the long run it will save you money compared to buying customs actions/rifles. The design is more unique than anything I've ever seen and I honestly feel I'll hold onto my dta for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I sold several guns to buy a GAP Crusader and another rifle that I bought used on the Hide. I looked into my safe and asked myself if I really cared about the ones I never shot. The answer was no, so I kicked them to the curb.

Was it worth it. Without a doubt and I don't miss any of the guns for which I found new homes. There is something really special about a well made rifle.

You just have to try out a DTA before making your decision. I think they are a great platform and very versatile with caliber changes that track true and are repeatable, but that requires a lot of testing and time. Another great thing, is that I don't lose your gun to a smith for months or longer to get the barrel changed. The ergonomics are different and they are heavy.

In a word, No.

They are a neat gun, but not enough to sell all your other guns. I got so enamored with the thought of one, I sold my AI AWSM (which I should have been shot for doing so) and bought one. The size and caliber changes are awesome, but I could never get comfortable behind it. I did have a few problems with the gun, which DTA did take care of for me.

I agree with Dogtown about getting behind one.

+1 on that. My DTA was flawless but I just couldn't get comfortable behind it. Try before you buy if possible.