• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Should I sell off all of my .40 S&W stuff?

jlficken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2006
Aurora, NE
So I just got married this year and put a self imposed "gun budget" on myself. Since she has now started shooting(an XD-9 Service) I am having problems keeping up shooting and loading .40 and have just been shooting and buying 9mm components.

I have ~2K Rainier 155gr bullets and ~3K brass as well as a Glock 23 and 27 that I have been carrying. Lately I have been shooting my Glock 19 ALOT and really do like it.

What does everyone think? Should I sell the Glock 23 and Glock 27 as well as the components I have on hand thus freeing up some cash and buy a Glock 26 to fullfill my needs or do I keep it all?

I just can't afford to buy all of the 9mm bullets and .40 bullets in bulk like I want to. Primes and powder are the same for me so I could maybe get some money for brass and bullets and reinvest it in 9mm stuff.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Should I sell off all of my .40 S&W stuff?

I would load and shoot the 40 components and then sell the 40 guns.

Load and shoot the 40 components, then get a couple of boxes of hollow points and keep it around for an extra. Never know when the zombies will show up.
It always seems I end up regretting selling every gun I've sold... I bought it for a reason, afterall. You might get the 40 bug again one day, and the budget might not always be so tight. Plus you got to shoot up those 2k raniers.

For pistols, I have just decided to go 9mm. Slow handgun hollowpoints are virtually identical between .35 and .45 caliber. Consolidate on one caliber whether it's 9mm or .40.

I'd vote for 9mm for price and capacity.

handgungelcomparison.jpg

sell off the 40 and components.

Buy a G34 and more 9mm components.

I think if I am going to go away from .40 then I will sell stuff off. I have a G20 too so I am going to keep the 1500 or so FMJ's/HP's for that. I am comfortable with 9mm for SD and if I sell the Glocks I can always get one back for a good price with the LEO/EMT discount.

I just can't decide plus if I do it I want to sell the guns first before components.

ETA: I need a G26 before the G34 as I carry my G27 90% of the time as I can conceal it easier.

If you have any Montana Gold 180gr JHP's, I'll take em'
smile.gif
. I might need some brass too come to think of it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caver101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sell off the 40 and components.

Buy a G34 and more 9mm components. </div></div>

+1

And start shooting competitively.

to make such a momentous decision as this requires a picture and posting in the hot girlfriend section........so first post a picture of you new Beu......clothing optional.....

I only have Rainier 155gr bullets sorry.

I have a 9mm barrel for both the 23 and 27 but it is just annoying to me to swap. Plus the extractor leaves a mark on the brass in the extractor groove I don't like.

Sorry no pics

The only guns I regretted giving up were the guns I sold. I have a lifetime of shooting ahead of me and an extra $1000 is not going to make a difference.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only guns I regretted giving up were the guns I sold. I have a lifetime of shooting ahead of me and an extra $1000 is not going to make a difference.

Ranb </div></div>

It is if you use that $1000 to buy something you'll actually use, instead of keeping something that you don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only guns I regretted giving up were the guns I sold. I have a lifetime of shooting ahead of me and an extra $1000 is not going to make a difference.

Ranb</div></div>
+1
And I disagree with Ty the sako guy,its not always but much pentration, you need to look at the cavity that the bullets makes. From the cadavers I have seen 40 SW and up is the way to go.
Also are you using your own loads for carry or commercial? If you carry commerical i would try Corbon DPX might be expensive but friends and i have tested it on car doors, glass, ballistics gel, pigs and body armor. It gives great penetration and cavitation. That is what I trust with my life.
Unless some one can show me something better, which I am always open to.

I'll give you 100 bucks for everything
wink.gif

I wouldn't be selling the stuff if I were you. You can start shooting cast bullets in all of those guns.

Before some KIA comes in to tell me that the cast bullets can't be shot in a glock, cool the jets and listen:

You shoot hard cast lead. 1lb of Mag shotgun shot mixed with 19lb of wheel weight lead, drop it straight out of the mould into a bucket of water.

They run 18-22 HBn and don't lead up either of my 10mm barrels.

I can give you some loads using Unique or B/eye for lead bullets.

Lube and size you can get into really cheap with the Lee sizing dies for 20 bucks or you can go the route I run which is a $150 Lyman 4500 press.

The first 1000 pistol rounds I cast and loaded paid for the investment in the sizing press, mould, and bag of shotgun shot.

You can get casting equipment from Ebay for pretty cheap.

This can also be transfered over to the 9mm as well for just another mould and sizing die.

If you REALLY felt the need to sell something off to do it get rid of the Ranier bullets, that should get you just about completely setup for this endeavor.

The lead can be loaded as light as a 9mm or just as hot as the factory ammo gets.

I shoot lead in practically everything I own, here's an appx breakdown of what they cost per round, rifle rounds all have a gas check on them, which adds about 3 cents to the cost.

9mm, 38/357 = 5c
40/10mm = 5.5c
44mag = 6-8c (depends on how hot I load it)
30-30 = 8c
30-06/7.62x54R/8mm Mauser/8x56R = 9c

You get the idea. This is based on the idea that I'm using Unique in all of the rifle calibers and most pistol calibers. Red Dot and Green Dot work well in a couple as well.

The most expensive (50% of the cost) is the primer.

I consolidated calibers in the past 18 months and while I may still have a few more calibers than some, I have far less than others, and a good bit less than I used to.

Pick whichever one you like best and lay in a supply before the next ammo-crisis.....there <span style="font-style: italic">WILL</span> be another one eventually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> *** <span style="font-weight: bold">I have a G20 too so I am going to keep the 1500 or so FMJ's/HP's for that. I am comfortable with 9mm for SD </span> ***

I just can't decide plus if I do it I want to sell the guns first before components.

ETA: I need a G26 before the G34 as I carry my G27 90% of the time as I can conceal it easier. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm not clear about this part </span> (bolded)...

If you've already got a G20 chambered for the high-performance, man-stopping <span style="font-weight: bold">10mm AUTO</span>, you <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> don't need any "Brokeback Mountain" .40s.
wink.gif
In terms of versatility of use, the G20's a much better EDC/SD weapon, IMO: a 15-rd capacity, a huge variety of possible bullet-weight/styles and energy levels in ammo, and a do-it-all gun & cartridge combo for urban, rural or deep-woods uses.

And - see below - you can still ghey-it-up for shootin' .40 anytime you want.
wink.gif
But if the G20's size doesn't appeal to you for EDC, then consider the G29, as the same comments below apply to it ...

* Sell the .40 pistols, but keep the reloading components for the 10mm (bullets, powder, primers).

* Take some of that cash, go to Lone Wolf Dist., and buy a spare stock-length .40 barrel for your G20.

Your G20 (like the G29) is essentially a <span style="font-weight: bold">4-in-1-gun</span> - i.e., 10mm, .40S&W, .357 Sig & 9x25 Dillon. <span style="font-weight: bold">All you need are the aftermarket drop-in tube(s)</span>. The G20's stock 10mm mags and recoil assembly will work fine with these other cartridges. So if any of those interest you - either now or down the road when cash isn't so tight - all you need to do is pick up the extra barrel. It's about a $150 investment, much less than the cost of a .40 pistol, the mags for it and the ammo. (Also, others make spare barrels for the 10mm Glocks, so check around: Jarvis, KKM, StormLake (I believe), and the Double Tap ammo company all sell, or used to sell, extra barrels).

* Invest the remaining cash in more 10mm components.

* Gift your girl with all the 9mm stuff: pistol, ammo & components.

You've got that G20, along with its "mophing" capability for the other calibers, so that's all you need. Same money on feeding it by sticking any remaining cash into 10mm reloading components for practice. You'll probably still have enough to get several boxes of Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Georgia Arms or Corbon factory 10mm ammo for carry.

Just FYI ...
smile.gif

cool.gif

Thanks for all of the ideas guys.

Bohem, I wish I could get wheel weights around here but in my area they are all picked up by scrap iron companies or friends of the shop owners. I have called everyone of them but I would do it if I could. I will keep the info around though for reference in case that changes though.

As for using the G2O I can't conceal it therefore I won't waste money getting conversion barrels for it. The G2O is my only safe queen that I shoot every so often and I don't have a problem with that. I disagree that the .40 is "ghey" as it does it's job admirably and has for a long time. I just think a new generation HP in the right spot will do the job in 9mm just as with 40 and 45.

I think I will end up just putting a 9mm extractor, ejector, and extractor plunger in the 23 and 27 and using my Lone Wolf barrels. They have been 100% reliable with a few hundred rounds through each without anything but a barrel swap so I don't see a problem with doing that plus I can shoot lead with no worries too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlficken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of the ideas guys.

Bohem, I wish I could get wheel weights around here but in my area they are all picked up by scrap iron companies or friends of the shop owners. I have called everyone of them but I would do it if I could. I will keep the info around though for reference in case that changes though.

As for using the G2O I can't conceal it therefore I won't waste money getting conversion barrels for it. The G2O is my only safe queen that I shoot every so often and I don't have a problem with that. I disagree that the .40 is "ghey" as it does it's job admirably and has for a long time. I just think a new generation HP in the right spot will do the job in 9mm just as with 40 and 45.

I think I will end up just putting a 9mm extractor, ejector, and extractor plunger in the 23 and 27 and using my Lone Wolf barrels. They have been 100% reliable with a few hundred rounds through each without anything but a barrel swap so I don't see a problem with doing that plus I can shoot lead with no worries too.
</div></div>

Just kiddin' around about the .40
laugh.gif
, though it lacks the 10mm's power range and, IMO, isn't nearly as accurate in the pistols I've shot it in.

Regardless, those "caliber conversion" barrels for the G20/G29, or any other Glock, clearly <span style="font-style: italic">do</span> save you $$$, provided you don't have to invest in other items too, like separate mags.

Also, there's a 22 l.r. upper you can get to run on the G20/G21 frame, which adds more versatility.

No problem steppenwolf I was reading on my BlackBerry and couldn't see the smilies....doh.

My plan is to get a .22 conversion for the G19/G23 sized gun as well.

Persoanlly, I'm not a big fan of 40's recoil.

I do like it for grain weight and mag capacity.

Recently I got a Kahr CW45, and color me surprised - it has less felt recoil than my XD40.

I'd prolly dump the 40 and shoot 9mm on the range.

9mm JHP's are good enuf for CCW, so if you are carrying, you won't be underpowered there. (Shot placement > caliber)

And you do need to start shooting competetively.

smile.gif

I will second the vote for cast bullets. I have been casting bullets out of wheel weights for over 30 years. Recently the Les Schwab tire stores quit using 'lead' wheelweights. Rotometals is a source.
I have been shooting my 'home' cast bullets in three different caliber Glocks without any problems.
I also shoot cast bullets with and without gas checks in a variety of rifles.
Check out: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ for more info on cast bullets.

I tried some cast bullets once....they REALLY leaded up the barrel. Took forever to clean it out.

Not sure what I did wrong. 40 S&W bullets may be too hot. I know alot of guys who run 45 cast, but 45 is not nearly as hot.

Im interested in your .40 reloading components if you decide to sell. Shoot me a PM once you figure it out as I wont be lingering in this thread.

Good luck to whatever you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried some cast bullets once....they REALLY leaded up the barrel. Took forever to clean it out.

Not sure what I did wrong. 40 S&W bullets may be too hot. I know alot of guys who run 45 cast, but 45 is not nearly as hot.

</div></div>

Just to be a bit of a smartass..

"you're doing it wrong"

As a serious reply, the bullets need to be the proper alloy. Most people that make lead bullets the first time think that lead is lead and you can just melt it and shoot it.

Castboolits has a forum that talks about the intricacies of it, and the easiest thing I can tell you for making lead hard enough to shoot in a glock is what I mentioned above.

19# of wheel weights, 1# of mag shotgun shot. Drop the bullets straight from the mould into a bucket of water.

After 1000 rounds or so when I do start to see lead building in the barrels I shoot a mag full of jacketed rounds through the pistol quickly, they clean out any lead fouling pretty nicely in however fast you can pull the trigger 10 times.

Ranb </div></div>

Ditto,

Sell the components and keep the guns.

Now do not take this the wrong way, but I train folks to shoot for a living and , well, if you cant decide on what caliber to keep, how are you gonna decide who to shoot and when?

I would also offer that its hard for another man to tell you how his shoes will fit your feet.

My $.02