• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Should I trade my "M40A5" build for a AW?

crom762

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2008
IN. USA
Lets start off by saying I know it isn’t a “true” M40A5 build I just used the M40 as a reference for the build, I don’t want to offend any purest.
I am thinking about trading it off for an AW. However I have never shot one. So I want to hear from the guys that have had experience with both and the reasons they would or wouldn’t trade.
The build is as follows:
• Surgeon 591 action
• Shilen select match #7 1/12
• Surefire MB762-211C
• Mcmillan A-4 USMC stock
• Badger M5
• Jewell trigger
• Built By Mark Penrod (Penrod Precision)

DSCF1797.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg

DSCF1800.jpg

Re: Should I trade my "M40A5" build for a AW?

I can't tell you how they shoot, but I've seen threads on here that prove they're half-3/4 moa all day no matter what you throw at it. They're also bulit like a tank after handling them at the SHOT show and if you plan on droping it out of a helicopter than it's the gun for you. You definitely get what you pay for. Not saying that you should or shouldn't trade your rifle or an AW, but if I had the money I'd get the AW in a heart beat.

My M40A1 is a freaking laser, but after getting my AW I'm thinking about selling the old girl for an AX.

That's kinda of where I am with it. I have shot .317 4 shot group w/ this rifle off bi pod. I am just not sold on the stock.

From a financial standpoint, if it is the same caliber you are trading for, why? You will either gain or lose money, with a loss having better odds. If it is an ergonomic reason, i can see that. Or if it is because the AW is just growing on you, you might as well because the more you end up thinking about it, the more the mind will want it and give in.

Now just waiting for someone to make an offer via, PM...clever
wink.gif

I would keep it, cut/crown to 20", buy SF suppresor and coat all the metal in Patriot Brown. I think that would be nicer then having an AW, IMHO the AW's great just never cared for the stock.

I would keep the build you have and save up for the one you want. Once you do the trade, you can't go back. JMHO. The rifle you got looks like a nice one by the way.

OP - That's a nice rifle you have, but if you have been wanting an AW and financially and your comfortable financially with the trade, then why not? I was in your position a year ago; I had an LWRC REPR with Premier 3-15x50. I loved the combination and had it setup the way I wanted; however, I always wanted an AW and an opportunity came my way. Long story short, I made the trade and have not regretted the decision. The AW is at the top of the heap and will always have a place in my collection. Plus, if you decide for some crazy reason, you do not want to keep the AW, it will not be hard to move.

Good luck!

Pusher591 said:
Now just waiting for someone to make an offer via, PM...clever
wink.gif

LOL nice, in that case I have a Les Baer to sweeten the deal..!

If the stock fits you then I would not hesitate for a second. Actually I did just that and could not be happier. The AW will shoot!! You will never have to worry about damaging your bedding during disassembly and assembly or solvent getting into it. You will not have to work at keeping the trigger group as clean as your current trigger. You can throw a round in the action and it will chamber at any angle you hold the rifle even upside down. They are the toughest system you can get, hands down.

JK I really do like the rifle I have. Just not sure I wouldn't like a AW more. I would just buy one but the divorce would cost more than $6000.00 worth of "rifle joy" is worth... As long as I am trading and can squirrel the money away I'll be GTG.

kinda off the subject but if I decide to keep it where is the best place to have it coated? It's something I have been wanting to do, if I kept it. I just haven't wanted to wait months to get my rifle back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crom762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kinda off the subject but if I decide to keep it where is the best place to have it coated? It's something I have been wanting to do, if I kept it. I just haven't wanted to wait months to get my rifle back. </div></div>

Mark at Short Action Customs is who I recommend because he did mine and his work is top notch.

He uses alot of Patriot Brown and it always looks real nice against an OD stock. Check his website and see if you like it, it kind of became his signature color because I havent seen anyone else using it much.

Thanks for the advice. I talked to Mark yesterday, seems like a good guy.

Once you decide or even consider wanting any of the AI rifles, you'll never be happy til you get one. I went all out and was able to get a AWSM.

Cut

dude that build is bad ass. i just got my first AW but i wouldn't trade my GAP HRT for one i just have both now. that rifle you have is top notch parts, shoot that bitch.

Love the A4 stock. Not sure the same for the AW. Something about the Mc just feels right.

I wouldn't trade that stick for a AW at all man. The guys a GA Precision do damn fine Cerakote work, they have done two for me. From everything I have seen AR Predator here on the Hide does great work too.

matt

Being a current AI owner and a current Penrond owner I'll bet money your not going to get a better shooting rifle if you move to the AW. The AW may be more "bomb proof" but out of the 6 or so Penrod rifles that I've shot they have all been perfect in fit and function. I love AI factory guns, but your rifle is no factory gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Runamuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being a current AI owner and a current Penrond owner I'll bet money your not going to get a better shooting rifle if you move to the AW. The AW may be more "bomb proof" but out of the 6 or so Penrod rifles that I've shot they have all been perfect in fit and function. I love AI factory guns, but your rifle is no factory gun. </div></div>

That is very true Mark does a hell of a job, and turn around is good for a one man shop. I guess I have just always wanted an AW.

Thanks for all the complements you guys have convinced me to keep the rifle and run the hell out of it..! I shot my first F class match with it this year and off a bi pod I missed 2nd place only by a few points, 1st and 2nd place were using Sinclair bench rest. Needless to say I was very happy. If I could sell the wife on it I would just own both!

Take it for what its worth exactly 2 cents....

Your build is a shooter/target rifle while the AW is a combat rifle.

If thats important to you get the AW, if you want to get heavy into F-Class stick with your rig.

From a monentary standpoint you would be getting the better deal with the AW.

If you can afford to upgrade to aw DO IT!!!. Mind you i say this as a field shooter and not a collector. They are both nice but there is no comparison in ruggedness and durability. plus the mag system, barrel swapping, tough trigger, and fantastic mag system is better on the aw. That doesn't even take into account you can probably run over it with a truck and it would be ok.

Take all this with a grain of salt i have zero interest in collecting rifles and hate the range for most things. The more i can shoot in the field the better and i am a firm believer that dings scratches give rifles character.

You guys crack me up with the 'he has a "target" rifle and not a "combat rifle"'.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys crack me up with the 'he has a "target" rifle and not a "combat rifle"'..... </div></div>

Take the verbage with a grain of salt if you like. I think the point I was making was understood by most here and didnt see a need to rehash every AW vs (insert custom here) thread thats been done over the last 7 years.

I would guess that the OP's rifle will outshoot the used AW hes considering for trade but thats not to say it wont be an accurate rifle. I would also bet the AW will take alot more abuse and keep ticking.

My advice was and is to the OP to decide which was more important to him and base the decision on that.

LOVE my AWs. Complete confidence in your gear is a big advantage, I believe.