• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Should know better

briscoetab

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
west texas
I had to share my screw up, maybe my mistake will help someone else out.

I've been working on a better load for my 300rum. I've been shooting pretty regularly (once to twice a week). I've got about 400 rounds thru my rifle since I mounted the scope.

Anyways I went to shoot some loads I worked up this morning. I hadn't really had much luck with any of the loads I've been working on, the best groups I have gotten is around 1".

The load I had been using was ok but I was looking for something a little better and that load really hadn't seemed like it was holding groups real well the last couple times I've went shooting. I was starting to think I may have a problem with my rifle.

So I shot my first three shots and was letting my barrel cool and was working on my position behind my rifle and noticed my scope wobble.

Well, long story short check the tightness on you mounting screw once and awhile. I'm not sure how long the screws on my scope base have been loose but I think they got real loose the last time I went out and was really affecting my shooting.

I felt like an idiot but luckily I had the tools with me to tighten it and I was by myself so at least no one was there to witness my stupidity. I was able to shoot the rest of the loads and think I may have found a good load.

Well, hope this reminds y'all to check the tightness of your mounting hardware and not be like me.

Witness marks on scope rings and mounts are very beneficial. That way you know if the scope is loose or something is out of adjustment. A dab from a paint pen or permanent marker is useful. Only takes a minute and will save a headache down the road.....

I had it happen twice on the same rifle. That rifle and everyone since then has a layer of devcon steel bedding compound bonding them to the action. Life is too short and opportunities are to rare to leave anything to chance.

D.ID you got that right. Plus as hard as it is right now to get any reloading components it's a shame to waste any due to my laziness.

I think I got lucky and won't have to reshoot any loads that I was working on but it still makes me wonder how long it might have been loose enough to affect my results.

Definitely going to put checking all mounting hardware in my preshooting checklist from now on. It should have been before, especially when it only takes a min to check but my excuse was I was already short on time better just get to shooting.