• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shoulder and high power shooting

JustPlinking

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Bucks county Pa.
Hey all,

I am due to get my third shoulder surgery in a couple weeks. My third in 3 years, three different procedures. So not a fail and try again situation. In short had a tear in the rotator cuff, was a meat head and tried to power threw and continued working for 2 months. Shoulder would sublux multiple times a day. So first surgery , repaired the tear. Second surgery shorten the ligaments around the cuff that I stretched out from all the subluxations. Now third surgery is for the Osteoarthritis , they are grinding and reshaping the joint and doing microfracturing to bleed stem cells to regrow cartilage and removing part of my clavicle.

Shooting this season will be out again. While on my recovery road, I want to rehab and take into count how much shock my shoulder needs to absorb while shooting.

What do you guru's of fitness recommend for that specifically. I came up with , upper pec, front delt work with secondary concentration on scapula support muscles. I have rehabbed and recovered well in the past. This is pitched to be my last surgery needed. I plan on getting more serious shooting highpower and want to be at my best to take the punishment of a nice long day at the range.

Thanks

Re: Shoulder and high power shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustPlinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all,

I am due to get my third shoulder surgery in a couple weeks. My third in 3 years, three different procedures. So not a fail and try again situation. In short had a tear in the rotator cuff, was a meat head and tried to power threw and continued working for 2 months. Shoulder would sublux multiple times a day. So first surgery , repaired the tear. Second surgery shorten the ligaments around the cuff that I stretched out from all the subluxations. Now third surgery is for the Osteoarthritis , they are grinding and reshaping the joint and doing microfracturing to bleed stem cells to regrow cartilage and removing part of my clavicle.

Shooting this season will be out again. While on my recovery road, I want to rehab and take into count how much shock my shoulder needs to absorb while shooting.

What do you guru's of fitness recommend for that specifically. I came up with , upper pec, front delt work with secondary concentration on scapula support muscles. I have rehabbed and recovered well in the past. This is pitched to be my last surgery needed. I plan on getting more serious shooting highpower and want to be at my best to take the punishment of a nice long day at the range.

Thanks

</div></div>

Whatever physical therapy that doc prescribes. Then when you're feeling better, swimming.

Airguns and .22's to stay up to speed. Shoot with an effective brake. If you're in a free state, buy a suppressor. If neither option is viable, then perhaps you should move to a lighter recoiling caliber. I would stay away from serious recoil from now on.

Thanks liberty, I will defiantly be trying to get out and swim when the doc gives the green light. Going threw this a few times I find the PT is more geared more for grandma wanting to reach her top shelf in the kitchen. I hope to reach at least 80% of what i was, so need to research on my own. And thankfully yes Pa. is still very free. For the moment at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustPlinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H
</div></div>

time for support side practice time

Overhead press hits every major muscle in the shoulder complex in one movement when you have recovered the range of motion to accomplish it correctly. Start with a broomstick and add weight in a linear fashion over time.

+1 for swimming

exercise bands are good too. you can gradually increase the resistance and they give you a full range of motion.

Bummer....Sorry but that will not be your last surgery. If you have osteoarthritis, the biologic resurfacing is only temporary. The new cartilage that you will grow will be fibrocartilage not hyaline cartilage. The surgery will likely buy you many years of pain control, but it is unclear how long.

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

@ Richard,

I understand fibrocartilage is not as durable as hyaline. Having 5 years of data with fibrocartlige in the knee, and given the shoulder isn't bearing any weight I really hope to get 10 years or better out of this procedure. By then maybe the technology for a shoulder replacement will be a viable option. As it stands now, at 35 years old I am told I would just wear it out. You are correct I will most likely need another surgery. I am just being stubborn and tired. After losing 3 years already of doing much of anything active. I am really trying to keep this underlying optimism that third time is the charm. And that if its just pain, but i have full ROM and strength I could push threw it , HOOAH!! haha here's hoping.

I have heard of some veteran highpower shooters having shoulder issues because of the recoil shock to the joint. Was hoping to sponge some intel out of them. In what they did to recover specifically for shooting. I am not ready to give up all of my hobbies yet. I studied Gracie jiu-jitsu since I was 18. Giving that up was hard enough. But I would be foolish to get caught in a joint lock with my history.

Again, thanks all.

My post was not to ruin your hope. Keep up the enthusiasm, it goes a long way towards pain control. Pain is poorly understood especially arthritis pain. The shoulder is not a true WBJ but the JRx forces are incredible. A good postop rehab for your shoulder will first involve gentle ROM, at first PROM/AAROM then progress to AROM with goal of full pain-free ROM. Strengthening should involve Scapular stabilization strengthening with progression of RC strengthening and finally deltoid strengthening.

@ Richard

Thanks again, that reassures me on what I have been told. From the first 24 hours threw 3 weeks I will be doing hunched over dead arm circles to passively stimulate the joint. A nice change for me, after the capsular shift I was in a sling for 12 weeks. I think that caused more problems than anything. Shoulder so rolled forward I was developing thoracic outlet. This progressive pt from the start should limit my atrophy to some extent I hope. Thanks again for your posts. Its always nice knowing I am on the right course of action.

JustPlinking,

Let me know what your DR says for exercises. I am waiting on a similar shoulder surgery, my doc did not give me any exercises, I am awaiting a surgery date... I was just told that i would have to go thru rehab afterwards. Good luck with yours!!

Is the injured shoulder the support arm or taking the recoil?

Mine is strong side... from what JustPlinking has posted, his sounds like strong side as well. I tried shooting a little and with small calibers the recoil is not bad, just getting the shoulder into position and alike is painful. I did not shoot any magnums, I am apprehensive about that.

I have had a total of 4 shoulder operations...3 on the right, one left, the last one I had the right shoulder replaced with a synthetic one.. I note this to point out that I have had LOTS and LOTS of physical therapy. The best thing to do is get your doc to write you a script for PT 3x per week. Then do your exercises 6 days per week in addition. Take one day per week for complete rest, but maybe gentle stretching.

The rubber bands work great. When I was rehabilitating from the shoulder replacement, I put one band from my gun hand down to my foot, and one band from my gun hand to the rear. So when practicing simulating a draw from holster, I would have both the lifting and pushing resistance.

For long gun training, I would have a band going from each hand under each foot to simulate the resistance of lifting the rifle into offhand position...the hardest one.

I also did lots of stretching with a very medieval type pulley device mounted to the top of a door. I would use a sling strap around my wrist, and using my good side, I would pull the arm I was stretching out upward as far as possible.

Now, the synthetic shoulder is doing fabulous. I think it was all the PT. Even the therapist said it was obvious to him that I was doing lots of work on my own.

Suggest you swim, massage, use light weights, do stretching, more massage, swimming and progressively heavier weigths should help. When you can support your full body weight (which may be awhile, but will happen...) half push ups, assisted pull ups and dips. Soon you'll be doing full pushups, chin ups and pullups. Will seemingly take foreever, but will be sooner than you think. Good luck!